Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 6, 2012, 09:52 AM   #76
Maltz
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontwalkhand View Post
It's funny how China is planning on dumping Cisco because its made in America for "national security"- what goes around comes around? ;-). I just find it funny and had a chuckle.
That is funny, but I'd do the same if I were them. The US government has shown with things like stuxnet and flame that they can be VERY aggressive and invasive with cyber intelligence and even outright sabotage. (I'm not faulting the goals, or implying that we have need to use them against China in the near future, just pointing out the capability.) I doubt our government has as much sway over Cisco as China has over their manufacturing plants, it's not out of the realm of possibility. I think it's important that critical infrastructure be designed and manufactured in-country, and China apparently feels the same. Nothing wrong with that.
Maltz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 09:54 AM   #77
green tea
macrumors member

probably going to be a mac pro or mini
green tea is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 09:56 AM   #78
Maltz
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwill View Post
Drop compared to Apple fortunes but at least 10 large companies could be seeded for $100m.
Exactly. All the more reason to keep that money here!

It's a shame we push companies like Apple to keep tens of billions overseas by taxing the heck out of it if they try to bring the money they've earned overseas (and already paid that country's taxes on) back to the US...
Maltz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:00 AM   #79
jamojamo
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by technopimp View Post
Since when were manufacturing jobs a focus of the "educational system"? If he's talking management-type jobs, then I don't think I'd agree with the statement. But if he's talking just hourly assembly-type stuff, I don't think you go to school for a BS in "Factory Assembly". That's what training is for. Do people go to school to work at McDonald's?
And these jobs wont be slinging hamburgers.

Check out the following link for some more information on what can and *should* be done to address the challenge.

http://social.dol.gov/blog/central-p...-partnerships/
jamojamo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:02 AM   #80
bmturney
macrumors member

Just wait...

So what happens when Apple isn't making huge profits anymore? Eventually something else is going to come along and knock Apple off their post. don't get me wrong, I love Apple and Apple products. Almost everything in my house is Apple, or uses some Apple product in some way... but eventually consumer interests will shift, and Apple really has a limited product line... so eventually they aren't going to be bathing in cash... so what happens to all of these "feel good" projects when that happens??? Do the data centers shutter their fuel cell facilities and switch back to the grid? They go back to building EVERYTHING over seas where labor is more cost effective? Do they stop caring how "green" their products are? and move away from expensive glass and aluminum to cheaper plastics?

I'm just saying, its nice that they are doing all of this now, while they have tons of cash laying around... but people are very fickle... everyone that loves you now for doing all of these "responsible" things... will hate you when you have to make cost effective decisions later in order to survive
bmturney is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:04 AM   #81
John.B
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmturney View Post
So what happens when Apple isn't making huge profits anymore? Eventually something else is going to come along and knock Apple off their post. don't get me wrong, I love Apple and Apple products. Almost everything in my house is Apple, or uses some Apple product in some way... but eventually consumer interests will shift, and Apple really has a limited product line... so eventually they aren't going to be bathing in cash... so what happens to all of these "feel good" projects when that happens??? Do the data centers shutter their fuel cell facilities and switch back to the grid? They go back to building EVERYTHING over seas where labor is more cost effective? Do they stop caring how "green" their products are? and move away from expensive glass and aluminum to cheaper plastics?

I'm just saying, its nice that they are doing all of this now, while they have tons of cash laying around... but people are very fickle... everyone that loves you now for doing all of these "responsible" things... will hate you when you have to make cost effective decisions later in order to survive
Maybe they should close shop now, you know, to get ahead of the curve? /sarcasm
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:05 AM   #82
SnowLeopard OSX
macrumors 6502a

I'm going to set my DVR to record this right now -- I'm really excited to watch this tonight.
iPhone |4S White/16GB/ iOS 7.0|3G White/16GB iOS 8.0
SnowLeopard OSX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:10 AM   #83
netdoc66
macrumors regular

Good News! The Mac Pro is coming back. They'll make products here that they don't make money on because it will be very expensive to produce these products anyway. Artificial "Jobs" Creation ;-)
netdoc66 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:11 AM   #84
apfeljonas
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamean View Post
It would have to be a smaller scale product, if it were exclusively manufactured in the US, so I'm guessing Mac Pro.
That's the first thing that I guess as well, also those are relatively simple to make so they wouldn't require too much labor. Maybe also some more iMacs.

Engadget also recently reported that Foxconn was opening a new plant in the U.S., so I guess this is going to come to fruition soon
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:13 AM   #85
SPUY767
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mak47 View Post
Steve Jobs made a statement at one point regarding this. Essentially, the problem is that the US education system has gotten really good at producing over-qualified people. For these jobs, they want people with knowledge of the kind of engineering needed to develop and build these products and manage the assembly line processes. These are skills that can be taught at the high school or 2yr trade school level but aren't. If they were, you'd be looking at 35k-50k/yr salary employees.

Instead, if you want a degree in anything similar, you'll be seeking a 4yr+ degree and leaving school with the qualifications (and expectation) to earn 90-120k/yr or more.

This is one of the reasons our college students have so much trouble finding work. Everybody's qualified, but there are only so many of those jobs to go around. Our system corrals everyone into a four year, very expensive program that makes them overqualified, or leaves them behind with nothing more than a high school diploma and totally under qualified.
It's not an education problem, it's an intelligence problem. Some people just aren't smart enough for college, but they would do great in a trade school program. Problem is, these people get that "everyone needs a college education" line foisted on them, then they either fail out because they weren't smart enough to begin with, or the eventually graduate with a degree in nothing marketable, either way saddled with mountains of debt. I'd wager that a full half of people in college right now would be better served in a trade school of some sort.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:13 AM   #86
apfeljonas
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmturney View Post

They aren't spending their cash to do any of this (alumium, premium materials), in fact they make around 30% profit per unit sold. So no Apple isn't crashing any time soon.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:13 AM   #87
dojoman
macrumors 6502a

Finally jobs are coming back to US for a change. Screw China!!!
dojoman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:19 AM   #88
Mac32
macrumors 6502a

Very commendable move by Apple!
Mac32 is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:20 AM   #89
Lone Deranger
macrumors 65816

Well, considering the biggest, fattest Mac is the Mac Pro, it would be fitting if it was made in the country with the highest obesity rates in the world.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:22 AM   #90
NanoTubeReturns
macrumors newbie

This is good news. Though I am not an American (am an Israeli in fact), I prefer stuff that has "Made in the USA" on them. Gives me a warm feeling of confidence in the product I am using.
NanoTubeReturns is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:24 AM   #91
Benjamins
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoTubeReturns View Post
This is good news. Though I am not an American (am an Israeli in fact), I prefer stuff that has "Made in the USA" on them. Gives me a warm feeling of confidence in the product I am using.
I am not so confident, considering how long the USA has not been making stuff... but we have to start from somewhere don't we?
Benjamins is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:32 AM   #92
NanoTubeReturns
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamins View Post
I am not so confident, considering how long the USA has not been making stuff... but we have to start from somewhere don't we?
Americans are champions in building stuff and they still build some of the best products on the planet.
NanoTubeReturns is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:33 AM   #93
Gemütlichkeit
macrumors 65816

Great news. Looking forward to them assembling all their products here in the future.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:33 AM   #94
tCdemon
macrumors member

"Assemble in USA" and "Made in USA" two different things! Either way its creating jOBS!
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:35 AM   #95
Slovak
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYFK View Post
I applaud the effort. To be honest, I feel that $100m is a drop in the bucket, but here's to hoping that number increases over time and creates even more jobs.
Feel free to leave a drop in my bucket then.
Slovak is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:36 AM   #96
blanka
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by green tea View Post
probably going to be a mac pro or mini
It will be the Mini. The pro goes extinct, the Mini is easiest to make at a China competetive price, and the Mini is eating margin from all other lines at the moment too. It will be the last Mac to survive.
blanka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:37 AM   #97
Umbongo
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post
So parts made in china (motherboard, memory, hard drives, etc.) are assembled in USA. Got it. Let me know when motherboards, memory, hard drives, and other related items are built here in the US.
Memory, flash storage and CPUs are already produced in the US.

Mechanical hard drives, motherboards, and graphics cards, currently require many parts that are produced by many companies. These companies are mostly clustered together, having grown to make manufacturing and transport logistics easier. You can't just shift that to the US. We've evolved away from a vertically integrated semiconductor industry, going back makes no sense.
Umbongo is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:37 AM   #98
puckhead193
macrumors G3

I hope it is the mac pro as other are saying i just hope it doesn't come at one a price and second late in 2013... I need it now, not later...
iPod Touch, 64 GB iPhone 5, 64 GB iPad 3
puckhead193 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:38 AM   #99
Umbongo
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoTubeReturns View Post
Americans are champions in building stuff and they still build some of the best products on the planet.
People don't realize how much stuff is still made in America because the media push the concept that there is nothing left as hard as they can.
Umbongo is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:53 AM   #100
John.B
macrumors 68040

I just don't get the thinking that Tim Cook is going to build a factory that's not profitable.

This is Tim Cook we're talking about, the guy lives manufacturing logistics.

I'd bet my next paycheck that this has been analyzed and costs scrutinized and a 10-year plan in place with risks identified and contingency plans and the whole lot. This wouldn't be something he would offhandedly come up with during a Brian Williams interview, this is something he would've had his whole team working on for months and months.

Last edited by John.B; Dec 6, 2012 at 11:02 AM.
John.B is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion