Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 6, 2012, 02:34 PM   #126
Peace
macrumors P6

If I were an investor I'd start tossing money into a company that makes aluminum in the U.S.
Peace is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 02:57 PM   #127
rmwebs
Banned

As long as they dont stick the prices up to cover it I'm fine with that.
rmwebs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 04:20 PM   #128
laudern
macrumors 6502

Never as the question "what would steve have done?"

Geee wiz, there goes all of the fanboys most popular comment for the last year
laudern is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 04:24 PM   #129
ixodes
macrumors 601

This is a move in the right direction. How Apple does will remain to be seen.

Challenged by variable quality control in their current operations, it would be a very welcome move to see it improved.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 04:30 PM   #130
eRondeau
macrumors 6502a

Ironic...

Ironic how this news exactly preceded Apple's largest single-day stock valuation loss in history. Investors are clearly freaking-out: "OMG! Apple is going to unionize and production costs will go up ten-fold! Sell! Sell! Sell!" In a free market economy everything has a cost.
eRondeau is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 04:58 PM   #131
Mike MA
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamean View Post
It would have to be a smaller scale product, if it were exclusively manufactured in the US, so I'm guessing Mac Pro.
It will be highly automated and of big scale - else it wouldn't be profitable for Apple to produce in the U.S. from my point of view. Maybe the Macbook or iMac/Mac Pro lines - iPhones and iPads are too complicated to be assembled automatically as we have learned.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 05:07 PM   #132
lazard
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmwebs View Post
As long as they dont stick the prices up to cover it I'm fine with that.
good luck with that.
lazard is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 05:17 PM   #133
bedifferent

TV's, thinner iMac's, more iPad's, integrated Intel graphics in most Mac systems, iMac's using mobile HDD's again, only one 27" stripped down iMac LED LCD panel offered as a display, no Mac Pro update(s), iWork '09 remaining untouched aside from iOS updates, iLife '11 remained untouched aside from iOS updates - oh, and prices remain the same or higher even though some products are losing features such as ODD's and increased use of integrated Intel graphics to "slim" systems. Yet, a TV, yes, THAT'S important.

Gone are the days when high quality displays in 30", 23" and 20" were offered (choice, what a novel idea) and replaced with an over priced 27" iMac display with cables too short to reach the Mac Pro. Let's not forget the PowerMac G5, starting at $1999, and well equipped, which was replaced with the Intel Mac Pro, starting at $2499, and not well equipped. Sigh.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cinema-080807.gif
Views:	8
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	381996   Click image for larger version

Name:	Power_Mac_G5_hero_left.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	355.6 KB
ID:	381997  
bedifferent is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 05:59 PM   #134
Rocketman
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltz View Post
That is funny, but I'd do the same if I were them. The US government has shown with things like stuxnet and flame that they can be VERY aggressive and invasive with cyber intelligence and even outright sabotage.
It was FEDGOV that disclosed sources and methods by expressing concern for Chinese manufactured units with no known examples of back doors because all the chip masks are designed in the USA. All the back doors we carefully installed for years became instantly useless. FEDGOV is objectively stupid on security and economics. The private sector should simply take over most of its functions. Okay to receive finance from the Fed for the transition.

Rocketman

Last edited by Rocketman; Dec 6, 2012 at 06:57 PM.
Rocketman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 06:22 PM   #135
MacDav
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
"Tim Cook announced one of the existing Mac lines will be manufactured exclusively in the United States next year."
"Apple is spending about $100 million on the effort."

For that small amount of money is has to be the Mac Pro. The smaller number of machines sold would be a good test for this in the USA.
I would bet you are correct. A major reason would also be the comparative ease of assembly. Workers need less expertise. Compare the insides of an iMac to a Mac Pro. I'm up for assembling my own Mac Pro. Send me a box of parts with instructions and I'm good to go.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedifferent View Post
TV's, thinner iMac's, more iPad's, integrated Intel graphics in most Mac systems, iMac's using mobile HDD's again, only one 27" stripped down iMac LED LCD panel offered as a display, no Mac Pro update(s), iWork '09 remaining untouched aside from iOS updates, iLife '11 remained untouched aside from iOS updates - oh, and prices remain the same or higher even though some products are losing features such as ODD's and increased use of integrated Intel graphics to "slim" systems. Yet, a TV, yes, THAT'S important.

Gone are the days when high quality displays in 30", 23" and 20" were offered (choice, what a novel idea) and replaced with an over priced 27" iMac display with cables too short to reach the Mac Pro. Let's not forget the PowerMac G5, starting at $1999, and well equipped, which was replaced with the Intel Mac Pro, starting at $2499, and not well equipped. Sigh.
Before we breathe that final sigh of sorrow, lets wait and see what the new Mac Pro has to offer early next year. Besides, you are too young for nostalgic regret.
MacDav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 06:59 PM   #136
Glideslope
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-Mariachi View Post
As we´ve all seen, some of the current crop of new iMacs have been assembled in USA so it is very probable that the iMac is the line that will be produced in the U.S.
Yes, but where are these "Pop Up Mac's" being assembled?

I'm going with N. Carolina.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 06:59 PM   #137
bearcatrp
macrumors 68000

Free trade agreements with other countries was a bad idea for the US to do. You cannot compete with slave labor. I can see components being made in china but should be at least assembled in the US to help both countries and keep costs down. Still think this plan is a back room deal with our government and apple to let apple bring back billions made over seas at a less tax rate in exchange for a promise to creat jobs in america. I'll believe it when I read about this effort if it actually creates allot of jobs. I doubt it though.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 07:42 PM   #138
Boomish69
macrumors regular

I dunno I can't get Tim C, there isn't the passion or big picture. he talks in such a false way..
I doubt very much he has the US or the Mac in his high priority list..(especially Logic)
Boomish69 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 08:05 PM   #139
Flood123
macrumors 6502a

I heard that the Mac Pro was manufactured in Ireland. Is this true? If that is in fact the case, it is a shame that they could possibly be pulling it from them. I'd much rather see them bring something else stateside from China or Brazil.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 08:14 PM   #140
apolloa
macrumors 601

Your going to do something right Apple! America is in as much of a mess as everyone else so you should bring jobs and investment back to your own country!
I bet they make the new Mac Pro in America. Lets hope they don't spread their intense fascination with making everything with glue to the new Pros eh
It would be a nice buy the new iMac 27" if you didn't need a heat gun and guitar picks just to install your own SSD!
It's like, new iPhone 5 and it's the easiest and most repairable yet, in contrast everything else we make is the hardest to repair and upgrade they have ever been all by design.....

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood123 View Post
I heard that the Mac Pro was manufactured in Ireland. Is this true? If that is in fact the case, it is a shame that they could possibly be pulling it from them. I'd much rather see them bring something else stateside from China or Brazil.
?????? I thought they yanked all operations from Ireland years ago?
Old Dec 6, 2012, 08:32 PM   #141
MacSince1990
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamean View Post
It would have to be a smaller scale product, if it were exclusively manufactured in the US, so I'm guessing Mac Pro.
The Mac Pro actually accounts for about 92% of Apple's gross margins. Not many people know this, but it's their #1 seller; nearly every University has literally thousands of Mac Pros, and every Supercomputer in the world made after 2003 is either comprised by Mac Pros, or G5s.

Also, all smart people have at least one in their home.

Of course, if you deny this, you'll just be proving to all of us that you're not smart.
MacSince1990 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 08:34 PM   #142
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperGTS View Post
Well Apple, if you love education as much as you say you do, why not put some of that huge pile of money you have back into the education system?
APPLE is certainly trying hard enough to get iPads in every classroom. Add to that, their effort to revolutionize textbooks, and you can't really say they're not trying. I know, I know, those aren't totally altruistic motives but even though APPLE would benefit from a better educated and more skilled workforce, you can't possibly mean that they are now responsible to some degree, for educating our children.

Or, if you're talking about retraining displaced American workers, same deal.
macs4nw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 08:34 PM   #143
apolloa
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacSince1990 View Post
and every Supercomputer in the world made after 2003 is either comprised by Mac Pros, or G5s.
And what makes you think that then???............
Old Dec 6, 2012, 08:34 PM   #144
MacSince1990
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedifferent View Post

A "rea|" MP really starts at around $4,000+.... PM G5s started@$1699. But agreed
MacSince1990 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:06 PM   #145
John.B
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by apolloa View Post
And what makes you think that then???............
You might want to check whether your sarcasm detector is plugged in.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:33 PM   #146
MacDav
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacSince1990 View Post
The Mac Pro actually accounts for about 92% of Apple's gross margins. Not many people know this, but it's their #1 seller; nearly every University has literally thousands of Mac Pros, and every Supercomputer in the world made after 2003 is either comprised by Mac Pros, or G5s.

Also, all smart people have at least one in their home.

Of course, if you deny this, you'll just be proving to all of us that you're not smart.
Agree 100%. Of course I do have two Mac Pro's in my home. So it would appear that I am twice as smart as everyone else. Seems logical enough.
MacDav is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:41 PM   #147
apolloa
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post
You might want to check whether your sarcasm detector is plugged in.
It's late, I'm too tired to read sarcasm... but I see what you mean...
Old Dec 7, 2012, 01:09 AM   #148
mabhatter
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-Mariachi View Post
As we´ve all seen, some of the current crop of new iMacs have been assembled in USA so it is very probable that the iMac is the line that will be produced in the U.S.
I think that they have dropped volume enough they will just ship parts here and assemble right next to the UPS truck. Kind of what Dell did in the early days. I can't see them building circuit boards here, or parts here.... They probably are pretty close to that with repair depots and Genius Bar already... There's no reason you shouldn't be able to get any Mac desktop configuration next day overnight... There aren't that many options any more. The supply chain already delivers to stores daily. Just leave some boxes half finished with pre-tested parts ready to go.
mabhatter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 07:42 AM   #149
Bantz
macrumors member

Wont his be a bad things for the products? American made things dont have the best reputation. Take American cars for example they are a laughing stock.
Bantz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:28 AM   #150
Henri Gaudier
macrumors 6502a

And so it's nearly here, crunch-time. Remember all those capitalist drones & globalisation freaks who so very recently said that an iPhone/Apple product made in America would be 10 times more expensive than a Chinese made one? Remember the "facts" of $5,000 & $10,000 that these Reaganites, Sakozians, Thatcherites puked out?

The jury is very nearly in mes amis.
Henri Gaudier is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion