Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
I usually dab my finger in my own saliva and wipe in on my ibook screen to clean off stains or oils. It hasn't been working too well recently. Anyone suggest any other alternatives?

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
windex is safe for lcds? sweet. damn I don't have in the house. Can I just use water and a rag?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I'll have people running after me with flaming torches and axes, but I always clean my screen by spraying a tiny bit of Windex onto a very soft cloth (one without pith) and then wipe the screen. Apparently it wipes the protective coating off the LCD though. :(

I've never had any problems. :)

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
mad jew said:
I'll have people running after me with flaming torches and axes, but I always clean my screen by spraying a tiny bit of Windex onto a very soft cloth (one without pith) and then wipe the screen. Apparently it wipes the protective coating off the LCD though. :(

I've never had any problems. :)

huh? I didn't even know the lcd had a protective coating...oh no, does saliva or water kill this protective coating as well?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I guess saliva would, but I don't know about water. My oldest LCD is three years and it's fine, after cleaning it with Windex about once every three months or so. :)

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Saliva is a digestive enzyme.

It is the start of the intensive digestive process in your stomach.

You know, what breaks down meat, celery, broccoli, powerbars, etc., in your stomach.

Why it "isn't working too well lately" on your pb ibooks?

Because it is trying to break down the plastics/paints/metals/lcd screen that you're rubbing your spit on.

STOP IT. NOW!!!

Apple suggests pure water on a soft cloth for cleaning LCDs etc. This is a much more stable and neutral fluid.

Reminds me of my dad, who pee'd into house plants when my mom wasn't looking.

Killed 'em.

That's what you are doing to the shine and finish of your computers with saliva. There's also bacteria in saliva that I wouldn't want anywhere near my computer. But that's just me.

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
California said:
Saliva is a digestive enzyme.

It is the start of the intensive digestive process in your stomach.

You know, what breaks down meat, celery, broccoli, powerbars, etc., in your stomach.

Why it "isn't working too well lately" on your pb ibooks?

Because it is trying to break down the plastics/paints/metals/lcd screen that you're rubbing your spit on.

STOP IT. NOW!!!

I don't think saliva can really breakdown celery and glucose. Aren't those foods made up of glucose beta monomers? Can saliva really hurt the screen since it's not really a monosaccharide?

edit: I mean polysacchire (the lcd that is)

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England
WillMak said:
I don't think saliva can really breakdown celery and glucose. Aren't those foods made up of glucose beta monomers? Can saliva really hurt the screen since it's not really a monosaccharide?

edit: I mean polysacchire

I'm just sucking my screen now so I'll let you know shortly.

neocell

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2005
Great White North
WillMak said:

edit: I mean polysacchire
First, celery has beta linkages, which we can't break without the help of our little GI friends, or some beano. Glucose is a monomer so no breakage needed. We have alpha amylase in our saliva so it breaks down dextrose, sucrose (ie dimers or more). There are also salivary proteases, lipases and nucleases so you get basically everything in a nice gobby lugie. Everyone just likes to assume that all our salivary glands are for is producing amylase and swelling when we get the kissing disease.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
WillMak said:

edit: I mean polysacchire (the lcd that is)

Okay, try this. Roll around a piece of celery in your mouth for a few minutes. What do you have when you take it out? Yeah, the digestive enzymes in saliva have started to break it down into mush.

As for spit on my LCD screen? I'm not going to sacrifice my screen to find out.

neocell

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2005
Great White North
California said:
Okay, try this. Roll around a piece of celery in your mouth for a few minutes. What do you have when you take it out? Yeah, the digestive enzymes in saliva have started to break it down into mush.

As for spit on my LCD screen? I'm not going to sacrifice my screen to find out.
I should have been clearer in my post by saying that the cellulose in celery is beta-linkages so we can't digest that aspect of it. There's still protein and lipids and what not that our little salivary doozers can chomp through.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
neocell said:
I should have been clearer in my post by saying that the cellulose in celery is beta-linkages so we can't digest that aspect of it. There's still protein and lipids and what not that our little salivary doozers can chomp through.

Oh yeah, I remember -- maybe celery was a bad choice for an example because I don't think it can really be totally digested by the stomach.

But for a good example of how powerful digestive enzymes are, my sister once had a cat who had swallowed a penny. That little kitty's enzymes ATE A HOLE RIGHT THROUGH IT.

I don't want anything that has to do with digestive juice on my 'puters. Sorry!

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
California said:
No, that would be my dad, the surgeon, who did chemical experiments on our house plants.

your dads a surgeon????sweet. which part of california are you from?

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
WillMak said:
your dads a surgeon????sweet. which part of california are you from?

Southern. Private practice/also taught at USC.

But my dad died a few years back. Miss him. And all those dead house plants. He would've appreciated this post, he was a chemist at heart, and his "pot piss'n" endeavors were the least sophisticated thing about him.

neocell

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2005
Great White North
California said:
Southern. Private practice/also taught at USC.

But my dad died a few years back. Miss him. And all those dead house plants. He would've appreciated this post, he was a chemist at heart, and his "pot piss'n" endeavors were the least sophisticated thing about him.
Sounds like he was a fun guy to hang around with. Sorry for your loss

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
neocell said:
Everyone just likes to assume that all our salivary glands are for is producing amylase and swelling when we get the kissing disease.

Man, I HATE! it when people just assume that. Every time I overhear a saliva conversation at the café, I just know they're going to mention amylase, but completely disregard the role of proteases and nucleases. They just don't know the whole story like you or I.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.