Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Confuzzeled23

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 27, 2009
Hi Everyone,
I regularly leave my ringer volume on 50% because I find the new iPhone 5 extremely loud, especially for my custom tones I have made. However, a problem I have been experiencing is that when listening to music, I cannot hear my text tones etc. The phone vibrates but I can't hear the sound. It's like if I put my music volume higher than 50% then it drowns out the notifications/ringer. Shouldn't the ringer match the music volume to ensure you can hear it over it?

The music does decrease during a notification but the notification sound is extremely low? Does this have to do with using custom tones?

The tones without music are extremely loud which is why my phone volume is usually on 50%

Hope you can help figure this situation out.
Thanks so much!

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Hi Everyone,
I regularly leave my ringer volume on 50% because I find the new iPhone 5 extremely loud, especially for my custom tones I have made. However, a problem I have been experiencing is that when listening to music, I cannot hear my text tones etc. The phone vibrates but I can't hear the sound. It's like if I put my music volume higher than 50% then it drowns out the notifications/ringer. Shouldn't the ringer match the music volume to ensure you can hear it over it?

The music does decrease during a notification but the notification sound is extremely low? Does this have to do with using custom tones?

The tones without music are extremely loud which is why my phone volume is usually on 50%

Hope you can help figure this situation out.
Thanks so much!

There are 3 seperate volume controls -
Music
Alerts
Siri

It makes sense this way because if I'm listening to music at full volume I don't want an alert blasting my ears or interrupting the music generally, however there are times when I need to be alerted. To get it where you want, start playing the music, pause, then adjust the alert volume.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.