Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:13 AM   #51
adrianm
macrumors member

good idea?

I'd rather they were built in China - not sure Apple could take the quality control hit from having them built in the US. I mean does the US make anything of any quality any more?
adrianm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:17 AM   #52
iVoid
macrumors 65816

The new Mac Pro would be the obvious one to be made in the US, although some final assembly of the iMac is already going on in the USA.

Maybe this is why the new 21.5" iMac is so hard to upgrade after the fact: Apple assumes USA workers with fatter fingers can't get into it.
iVoid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:17 AM   #53
mdb69
macrumors newbie

Give me the products built in China. I've worked in US manufacturing in the past...its even worse than you can imagine.
mdb69 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:19 AM   #54
Intarweb
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrinkma View Post
Factory work almost *always* pays better than fast-food jobs, and there's plenty of room for advancement in a company with production lines.
I'd agree that initial pay is higher but the agency to move up the rung is easier in fast food than a production line.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4DP View Post
The prices will go through the roof
Myth.
Intarweb is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:24 AM   #55
j.applewood
macrumors member

I mean, aren't there any other pictures of Foxconn?
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:24 AM   #56
msggrac
macrumors newbie

Manufacture in USA

We still have an empty building here in Fountain CO where Apple was in the 90's ready to go.
msggrac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:28 AM   #57
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

With Samsung also moving some production into the US, this is good news all around, and much needed for the US economy.

Contrary to popular belief, the wage difference does not amount to much as far as the product price goes. The % of a product's cost which is related to wages for manufacturing employees is so small as to not matter whether the guy makes 1$ or 30$ an hour, it's a difference of a few pennies to a dollar to cost.

Something Apple can very well afford with their current margins.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:31 AM   #58
Bruce Oksol
macrumors member

I Wonder If Apple ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlimitedx View Post
Jobs!
will set up production in a right-to-work state?
Bruce Oksol is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:32 AM   #59
XboxMySocks
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetson View Post
Some people dream of robots doing all the work.

Well what will happen to the people who used to do those jobs?

So a few people at the top get to rake in $billions and the rest of us "can eat cake"?
You will be baked. And then there will be cake.
XboxMySocks is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:37 AM   #60
Tayobi
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazwire View Post
It might work for a while. Then unions will come in an destroy it and they will go back overseas.
Union bosses must be drooling over the prospect of Apple setting up factories in U.S.
Tayobi is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:40 AM   #61
soundguyami
macrumors member

Right to work

There is already a standing directive from Steve that if Apple produced in the US it would be in right to work states. Any current production work in the US is in one already.
soundguyami is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:41 AM   #62
apfeljonas
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoRegardless View Post
"but the company (Apple) faces major challenges if it wishes to bring operations on the scale of iPhone production to the United States."

Opportunity is what you give yourself with vision.

Apple faces limits until the day when component integration & miniaturization and robotics allow a nearly totally robotic assembled iPhone. Once that day comes, which I predict is only years away, Apple can put factories anywhere the market is located.

They could easily have factories in Asia, EU, US & South America. Geographic dispersal also assures Apple that earthquake, typhoon, revolution or fire doesn't shut down an entire product line.

It is real and it will come.
I'll take one in Germany .
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:42 AM   #63
Smith288
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junipr View Post
I like how you frame "labor and human rights, a respectable wage, and dignity" as "unions"
Yea, in 1920 or in China where it's needed. Not here where we have an open society with media all over a company's jock when they do so much as look at an employee wrong. Look at Honda and Toyota. They paid their workers even when the assembly is halted (after tsunami) so they take care of them without the need for unions (they actually closed the only union shop in California in 09).

Companies nowadays are powerful, yes, but not when the threat of bad press is given to them in the way they treat their employees.
Smith288 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:51 AM   #64
mantan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyComeLatly View Post
Maybe, but an interesting point to bring up in an Apple forum. There are $300 notebooks, but we pay $1000 for a MBA. There are $400 D#!!! desktops, but we buy $1500 iMacs. There are MUCH cheaper alternatives to all Apple products. So, you're already paying a premium for a better product, and obviously you rationalize it certain ways. Rationalizing a 3% increase ($50 more for a $1500+ iMac) isn't that big of a leap.
I just remember the flurry when people were posting Black Friday sales on Macs (like when Amazon dropped the price below a $1,000) - yeah that was more than $50, but everybody likes a deal.

Even as consumers of 'premium products', I think a lot more people will rationalize saving $50 than paying an extra $50
mantan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:52 AM   #65
chiefpavvy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Unions won't have to come in if the company treats it's people well.

Most workers don't want the hassle of dealing with union rules and fees. However if the employer treats it's people unfairly, then a good, strong union may be needed to secure bargaining rights for workers. Individual workers can't deal with the powerful, wealthy people at the top of corrupt businesses.
Nonsense. Unions today are nothing but political cash funds for the Democratic Party. All those millions of dollars in dues are pissed away to greedy pandering politicians. No benefit at all to the worker. Don't believe me? Ask those Hostess employees how great a Union is!

While all these union folks are sitting out of work, the union boss sits in his mansion and laughs all the way to the bank.
chiefpavvy is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:52 AM   #66
ziggyonice
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdonath View Post
Question remains: where are the current "Made in USA" iMacs being made?
9to5Mac reporting that the iMacs are being made in Fremont, CA.

MR has been doing a poor job of reporting this. 9to5Mac has been running circles around MR lately.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:53 AM   #67
chiefpavvy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundguyami View Post
There is already a standing directive from Steve that if Apple produced in the US it would be in right to work states. Any current production work in the US is in one already.
Good, and god willing ALL states will transition to "Right To Work" states. There's no excuse for being forced in to a union and paying dues.
chiefpavvy is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:54 AM   #68
quickmac
macrumors regular

FoxConn is going to face a rude awakening if they try to open a plant here.

"What we can't make workers live at the factory and work 18 hour days? And we have to pay them at least minimum wage of close to 10 dollars an hour?"
quickmac is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:55 AM   #69
kockgunner
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantan View Post
Would you...really?

People like to wave their little flag and talk about 'made in America', but 99.9% of consumers are solely driven by the absolute lowest price they can get.

I bet if there was an iMac that was $50 more that was made in the USA and one next to it that was assembled in China, people would push each other out of the way to get the cheaper model.

Not saying it's right...but that's how people are wired....
If there is an appreciable difference in quality I would imagine more knowledgeable consumers would try to find a made in USA one. I doubt Apple would market the made in USA factor on the box. Maybe they would say in a keynote a certain percentage are being made in the USA and how they are bringing jobs back.

However don't see much difference in a computer Amercian hands have versus Chinese hands. The parts that usually go wrong for me have been the logic board (namely GPU) and screens, which are not done by hand.
kockgunner is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:55 AM   #70
carlgo
macrumors 68000

More posts about how horrible it would be to make stuff here...straight from China. So predictable. Happens every time there is a Made in USA discussion.

I bet the Pro is going to be made here to begin with. An easier proposition than trying to produce a million iPhones an hour...
carlgo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:14 PM   #71
BreuerEditor
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to BreuerEditor
anybody else getting tired of the same Foxconn picture in these posts?
BreuerEditor is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:23 PM   #72
Szarky
macrumors 6502

Good points in this article: Why The 2013 Mac Pro Will Be Made Exclusively In The USA

http://www.cultofmac.com/204802/why-...ly-in-the-usa/
Szarky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:34 PM   #73
koban4max
macrumors 65816

They probably going to ship some Chinese people to USA and have them work there.
koban4max is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:34 PM   #74
RichardI
macrumors 6502a

I like this move, and I'm a Canadian. I don't know how you are doing this, or why, but we (Canada) could learn from this. I'm going to forward a copy to the boys on parliament hill - hope they can read....
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:34 PM   #75
Antares
macrumors 68000

Location: Somewhere in the Milky Way....a little place called Chicago
Quote:
Unions won't have to come in if the company treats it's people well.
Not true. Unions try to force themselves on people even when they don't need them. Even when people are treated fairly. If union leaders had their way, everyone would be in a union and nobody would be able to bargain freely, on their own.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion