Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:25 PM   #51
wordoflife
macrumors 604

Hope they have some very competitive pricing.
wordoflife is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:26 PM   #52
SnowLeopard OSX
macrumors 6502a

As a T-Mobile customer eligible for an upgrade, I am extremely happy to hear this. I consider this a Christmas gift in and of itself.

4G LTE, grandfathered unlimited text, talk, data? I guess patience really does pay off. Hopefully the deal will be in TMO's best interest as well, too -- financially speaking.
iPhone |4S White/16GB/ iOS 7.0|3G White/16GB iOS 8.0
SnowLeopard OSX is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:27 PM   #53
theBB
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemütlichkeit View Post
Perfect time for the 5S

Unlocked iPhone 5S on their $30/month no contract plan would be perfect.
I only see a $45 plan (500 mins + 2GB data + per message text costs), which is the same price as StraightTalk, but with less texting privileges.
theBB is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:29 PM   #54
unlimitedx
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasJL View Post
Back in 2007, Apple should have made T-Mobile the exclusive carrier back in 2007. AT&T has a better network now in many places now, but that wasn't the case in 2007. AT&T should have died, but Apple kept them afloat and profitable with the iPhone. T-Mobile -- which had far better customer service, phone service, and prices -- suffered as a consequence.
Back when apple released the iPhone they made a deal with Cingular not AT&T..
unlimitedx is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:30 PM   #55
koban4max
In Time-Out

T-mobile is just going to be like others....limited data...with strings attached like ATT aka puppet.
koban4max is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:31 PM   #56
RotaryP7
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBB View Post
I only see a $45 plan (500 mins + 2GB data + per message text costs), which is the same price as StraightTalk, but with less texting privileges.
$30/month no contract for TMO includes 100 mins, unlimited text & unlimited web w/ 5GB of 4G speeds.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:31 PM   #57
AutoUnion39
macrumors 68030

Everyone who is loving this doesn't realize that it isn't all about how cheap the plans are. T-Mobile has glaring network problems, even worse than Sprint.

It only works for people who live in major cities and adjacent suburbs. If you travel, then it is completely useless.

Poor network coverage in most problems and 3G doesn't cover all major areas, where even AT&T/VZW/Sprint have coverage.

For example, where I live in Boston, I can drive about 10 minutes and go into full EDGE, not even HSPA+. AT&T/VZW have LTE.

When I got visit my family in Maine. T-Mobile has only deployed "4G" in the "busy" parts of Portland, ME. I can go down the street from where my parents live and T-Mobile has EDGE. Then drive 10 minutes down the road, 4G is back. Same ****, over and over again. AT&T/VZW are full LTE in that area too. Sprint at least has 3G.

I don't think Apple should have even let T-Mobile gotten the iPhone. Dropping from 3G to EDGE in major cities is ridiculous when VZW/ATT probably offer LTE and Sprint at least has 3G.

On a positive note, it's about time T-Mobile sacked up and offered it. They were loosing people left and right to iPhone-carrying carriers.
AutoUnion39 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:34 PM   #58
xxnemoxx
macrumors newbie

This is great news for T-Mobile. It really needs the market, & money. It's lost SO much customers, & money over the years.

Hell even Sprint, has more customers JUST BECAUSE THEY HAVE THE iPhone! Even thought THEIR NETWORK SUCKS!

Let's see how this plays out
xxnemoxx is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:34 PM   #59
AutoUnion39
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasJL View Post
Back in 2007, Apple should have made T-Mobile the exclusive carrier back in 2007. AT&T has a better network now in many places now, but that wasn't the case in 2007. AT&T should have died, but Apple kept them afloat and profitable with the iPhone. T-Mobile -- which had far better customer service, phone service, and prices -- suffered as a consequence.
That sounds like a terrible idea. AT&T was already starting to build out 3G at that point. T-Mobile didn't start until a couple years after, even then, they STILL don't have HSPA in every major area.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:41 PM   #60
ProudLoz
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minhimalism View Post
Your AT&T phone will already be able to rock their LTE when it rolls out but yeah I only pick up 3G/HSPA+ in certain areas.

Could never switch from T-Mobile I'm on 5.99 unlimited data
That's the issue though. Although my AT&T iPhone 5 is future proof for T-Mobile's refarmed 4G/LTE Network, I need it to work right now, not later. Hell, even though T-Mobile announced that Houston, TX was 3G ready for the iPhone, the reality is that that's not the case. I've been around Houston, and I only get 3G on certain spots.

In fact, just last week my neighborhood FINALLY got T-Mobile's 3G network, but that's not the case at my job. I also had to go downtown about two weeks ago, and it was the same story, pure Edge speeds.

Honestly though, T-Mobile's Edge speed are a lot better than Sprint's ******** 3G network. God, the crap I had to put up with Sprint here in Houston. >>
ProudLoz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:43 PM   #61
SnowLeopard OSX
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by koban4max View Post
T-mobile is just going to be like others....limited data...with strings attached like ATT aka puppet.
No they're not. Unless they suddenly steal all of AT&T or Verizon Wireless' market share, why would they cap their data? Sprint and T-Mobile, due to their lower subscriber rates, can afford to offer unlimited data plans. ATT/VZ, on the other hand, have so many subscribers that it has become cost-ineffective to offer everyone unlimited data -- especially considering how many people would easily take advantage of that using far more data than they're really paying for.

All four of the big carriers in the U.S. realize their strengths and weaknesses - they're going to capitalize on them, NOT shoot themselves in the foot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion39 View Post
Everyone who is loving this doesn't realize that it isn't all about how cheap the plans are. T-Mobile has glaring network problems, even worse than Sprint.

It only works for people who live in major cities and adjacent suburbs. If you travel, then it is completely useless.

Poor network coverage in most problems and 3G doesn't cover all major areas, where even AT&T/VZW/Sprint have coverage.

For example, where I live in Boston, I can drive about 10 minutes and go into full EDGE, not even HSPA+. AT&T/VZW have LTE.

When I got visit my family in Maine. T-Mobile has only deployed "4G" in the "busy" parts of Portland, ME. I can go down the street from where my parents live and T-Mobile has EDGE. Then drive 10 minutes down the road, 4G is back. Same ****, over and over again. AT&T/VZW are full LTE in that area too. Sprint at least has 3G.

I don't think Apple should have even let T-Mobile gotten the iPhone. Dropping from 3G to EDGE in major cities is ridiculous when VZW/ATT probably offer LTE and Sprint at least has 3G.

On a positive note, it's about time T-Mobile sacked up and offered it. They were loosing people left and right to iPhone-carrying carriers.
Sprint speeds are not comparable with T-Mobile's, in my opinion -- even in Boston:

Source: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2405605,00.asp

Last edited by SnowLeopard OSX; Dec 6, 2012 at 12:53 PM.
SnowLeopard OSX is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:43 PM   #62
tardman91
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakone View Post
Hot T-Mobile chic holding an iPhone. Whoa indeed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileyBlast! View Post
Someone should post a picture.
You're welcome.

tardman91 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:43 PM   #63
you people smh
macrumors regular

Pricing is the key

I really hope this doesn't jack up their pricing.

I've been with t-mobile since 06 and have never had a complaint. I am getting pretty used to the android OS on my phone, and will probably stay with that if an iphone plan is more than the $50 a month for unlimited everything i am paying now.

Having said that, i will snap up a cellular ipad on t-mobile in a second.
you people smh is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:45 PM   #64
Foxer
macrumors 65816

So does T-Mobile have the kind of network that allows me talk and do data as with AT&T, or is it like Verizon and Sprint? If it's the former, I'll jump next summer.

"I'll buy almost anything if it is shiny and made by Apple."
Foxer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:45 PM   #65
Boatboy24
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoejohndoes View Post
Too bad the hot girl in their commercials won't come with it
I didn't see that specified in the press release, so there's still a chance!
Boatboy24 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:46 PM   #66
AlvinNguyen
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileyBlast! View Post
Someone should post a picture.
She's pretty amazing. I've done a photo shoot for her. Lovely personality too!

http://www.alvinnguyen.com/photo/carly-foulkes/

AlvinNguyen is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:47 PM   #67
RotaryP7
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxer View Post
So does T-Mobile have the kind of network that allows me talk and do data as with AT&T, or is it like Verizon and Sprint? If it's the former, I'll jump next summer.
GSM allows talk & surf. So yes.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:50 PM   #68
AlvinNguyen
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by tardman91 View Post
You're welcome.
Actually you're welcome because I took that shot haha

All jokes aside that is my picture and I'm glad you like it.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:54 PM   #69
Minhimalism
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkarris View Post
Looks like we are grandfathered in right now.

I would imagine that we will be required to switch if we are getting a subsidized iPhone from T-Mobile.

An unsubsidized iPhone maybe we can keep the old plan - but we will see.
Haha I will be keeping my AT&T unlocked phone of course, but yeah I know they make people switch if they're using T-Mobile phones. :0 i refuse to give up my plan!!
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:54 PM   #70
AutoUnion39
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard OSX View Post
Sprint speeds are not comparable with T-Mobile's, in my opinion -- even in Boston:

Source: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2405605,00.asp
You bring up a valid point, but speeds don't mean anything when you have spotty coverage that those speeds go down to EDGE when you leave the city. T-Mobile is very spotty around Boston, even though, when it works, their HSPA+ is pretty fast.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:56 PM   #71
SnowLeopard OSX
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlvinNguyen View Post
Actually you're welcome because I took that shot haha

All jokes aside that is my picture and I'm glad you like it.
You got to take those photos? Words cannot explain how jealous I am right now!
SnowLeopard OSX is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:57 PM   #72
Minhimalism
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudLoz View Post
That's the issue though. Although my AT&T iPhone 5 is future proof for T-Mobile's refarmed 4G/LTE Network, I need it to work right now, not later. Hell, even though T-Mobile announced that Houston, TX was 3G ready for the iPhone, the reality is that that's not the case. I've been around Houston, and I only get 3G on certain spots.

In fact, just last week my neighborhood FINALLY got T-Mobile's 3G network, but that's not the case at my job. I also had to go downtown about two weeks ago, and it was the same story, pure Edge speeds.

Honestly though, T-Mobile's Edge speed are a lot better than Sprint's ******** 3G network. God, the crap I had to put up with Sprint here in Houston. >>
Their LTE network will run on AT&T's frequencies so you won't be able to access it until its launched anyways. But at that point it'll work because there is no LTE atm.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:59 PM   #73
dontwalkhand
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to dontwalkhand
So now where do we go from here? Pretty much every network in existence in the US now carries the phone. Lets see these prices drop, or sue them for price fixing.

They said they're moving entirely to value plans...is there a point in saving upgrades then? T mobiles iPhone will have to go through that convoluted ERP plan
Old Dec 6, 2012, 01:01 PM   #74
AlvinNguyen
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard OSX View Post
You got to take those photos? Words cannot explain how jealous I am right now!
Yeah I took them in Feb of 2011. They were pretty personal and it was a simple shoot just me, Carly, and a makeup artist. That's how they used to do it back in the day.

I preferred it that way too it was nice and simple without all the crazy lighting equipment and such. Just camera
AlvinNguyen is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 01:04 PM   #75
tardman91
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontwalkhand View Post
So now where do we go from here? Pretty much every network in existence in the US now carries the phone. Lets see these prices drop, or sue them for price fixing.
Price fixing on who's part? Apple can charge whatever they want for the iPhone. You can choose to purchase another device if you want.
The carriers can charge whatever they want for service. You can pick another service provider.
tardman91 is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion