Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 6, 2012, 01:04 PM   #76
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 601

You can say goodbye to $30/mo plan once they start offering the iPhone on contract.
JayLenochiniMac is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 01:07 PM   #77
tardman91
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLenochiniMac View Post
You can say goodbye to $30/mo plan once they start offering the iPhone on contract.
I think that $30/month plan is a value plan, which requires you to pay full price for your phone anyway.
tardman91 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 01:08 PM   #78
7enderbender
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekLawyer View Post
Very interesting. Wonder if they'll begin as Verizon did; selling WiFi-capable iPads at first with mifi devices.

Or will they jump in with both feet with supported devices; i.e., iPads and iPhones.
Here a statement per dowjones.com:

"T-Mobile USA's CEO John Legere said that it will be a "different and unique product" and that all analyst reports on T-Mobile USA's adaption of the iPhone "have been wrong." Still, it will take several months until Apple products will be launched, Legere also said at the Bonn event.
T-Mobile is the only major U.S. wireless carrier that doesn't offer the iPhone, and its executives have cited that omission as a key reason T-Mobile continues to lose hundreds of thousands of valuable contract customers to competitors. "

So this doesn't sound like there will be any US T-mobile iPhone any time soon. Wonder if they'll have the new Blackberry. I've been a loyal t-mobile customer since the Voicestream times. And I need a new phone soon since the screen on my BB is on its way out. I don't want one of those gigantic Samsung phones or so. The iPhone 5 is already too big I find. So let's see what actually happens but it looks more like some t-mobile branded tablet or so.

Last edited by 7enderbender; Dec 6, 2012 at 01:14 PM.
7enderbender is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 01:10 PM   #79
Westside guy
macrumors 601

T-Mobile's best deals are their pay-as-you-go plans - it'll be interesting to see what they do with the iPhone though. But guys like me that don't make lots of voice calls are a lot better off paying full price for the phone and going with one of their lower-cost plans.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tardman91 View Post
I think that $30/month plan is a value plan, which requires you to pay full price for your phone anyway.
Exactly right... it's the plan I'm on, actually.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 01:21 PM   #80
kazmac
macrumors 65816

nice news

I'm glad there's another option coming.
kazmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 01:25 PM   #81
jokemjokester
macrumors member

You think this will affect pricing for Att/Verizon customers in the future? I mean sprint already has a great deal on plans but lets face it, their network sucks. If tmobile make's their LTE in the same class as ATT/Verizon and get people to switch there, I'm hoping Att will provide cheaper plans since I'm stuck for another 2 years with 5 iphones As you can imagine, ETF for 5 iphones would be insane
jokemjokester is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 01:26 PM   #82
SnowLeopard OSX
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7enderbender View Post
Here a statement per dowjones.com:

"T-Mobile USA's CEO John Legere said that it will be a "different and unique product" and that all analyst reports on T-Mobile USA's adaption of the iPhone "have been wrong." Still, it will take several months until Apple products will be launched, Legere also said at the Bonn event.
T-Mobile is the only major U.S. wireless carrier that doesn't offer the iPhone, and its executives have cited that omission as a key reason T-Mobile continues to lose hundreds of thousands of valuable contract customers to competitors. "

So this doesn't sound like there will be any US T-mobile iPhone any time soon. Wonder if they'll have the new Blackberry. I've been a loyal t-mobile customer since the Voicestream times. And I need a new phone soon since the screen on my BB is on its way out. I don't want one of those gigantic Samsung phones or so. The iPhone 5 is already too big I find. So let's see what actually happens but it looks more like some t-mobile branded tablet or so.
What other kind of product, other than a phone/handset, would a Telecom based company be inclined to sell? In fact, there's only two products that Apple sells that could possibly fit into that category -- iPhones and iPads. I find it difficult to believe that T-Mobile would find it strategically advantageous to start carrying cellular iPads before carrying (now very much compatible) iPhone 4,4S, and 5.

You shouldn't read too much into it.
iPhone |4S White/16GB/ iOS 7.0|3G White/16GB iOS 4.2.1
SnowLeopard OSX is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 01:27 PM   #83
JoeG4
macrumors 68020

Send a message via ICQ to JoeG4 Send a message via AIM to JoeG4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside guy View Post
T-Mobile's best deals are their pay-as-you-go plans - it'll be interesting to see what they do with the iPhone though.
I beg to differ lol. Then again, I'm not sure if my current rate plan will stick, however it looks ridiculously cheap.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 01:28 PM   #84
koban4max
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard OSX View Post
No they're not. Unless they suddenly steal all of AT&T or Verizon Wireless' market share, why would they cap their data? Sprint and T-Mobile, due to their lower subscriber rates, can afford to offer unlimited data plans. ATT/VZ, on the other hand, have so many subscribers that it has become cost-ineffective to offer everyone unlimited data -- especially considering how many people would easily take advantage of that using far more data than they're really paying for.

All four of the big carriers in the U.S. realize their strengths and weaknesses - they're going to capitalize on them, NOT shoot themselves in the foot.

I'm going to assume that many former t-mobile consumers will jump right back in to tmobile... and you'll know the rest.

p.s. i would love to see that pink chick with tmobile riding that bike say..."oh crap, i've been throttled..."
koban4max is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 01:30 PM   #85
Destroysall
macrumors 65816

This is exciting news for T-mobile customers, including me! However I don't see a release happening until late Summer or Fall 2013.

destroysall.
Destroysall is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 01:37 PM   #86
AutoUnion39
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokemjokester View Post
You think this will affect pricing for Att/Verizon customers in the future? I mean sprint already has a great deal on plans but lets face it, their network sucks. If tmobile make's their LTE in the same class as ATT/Verizon and get people to switch there, I'm hoping Att will provide cheaper plans since I'm stuck for another 2 years with 5 iphones As you can imagine, ETF for 5 iphones would be insane
Is that a joke? Their 3G isn't even par.
AutoUnion39 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 01:41 PM   #87
rubirock
macrumors regular

finally! goodbye 3g iphone, hello iphone 5
Old Dec 6, 2012, 01:49 PM   #88
wikus
Banned

Is there any news if this will be using T-Mobiles current 3G 1700/2100mhz network?

That would be absolutely fantastic as Wind Mobile customers in Canada (500,000+) could also take advantage of having the iPhone. My sister has been bugging me about getting an iPhone but its not available on the Wind Mobile Network.

Last edited by wikus; Dec 6, 2012 at 02:03 PM.
wikus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 01:54 PM   #89
M-O
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldringer View Post
This is great news. In the past I've had Cingular, ATT, and Verizon plans. By far, the best value and fit for me has been my current $30/month T-Mobile prepaid plan.
i'm on the same plan, only my area doesn't get 3G/4G... and edge sucks. here's to hoping they speed up the upgrade.
M-O is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 02:12 PM   #90
andyx3x
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldringer View Post
This is great news. In the past I've had Cingular, ATT, and Verizon plans. By far, the best value and fit for me has been my current $30/month T-Mobile prepaid plan.
I have this plan as well but I'm pretty sure they will be doing away with it in 2013 when the iPhone officially comes on board. I highly doubt they will grandfather anyone in with the cheap prepaid plans.
andyx3x is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 02:12 PM   #91
7enderbender
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard OSX View Post
What other kind of product, other than a phone/handset, would a Telecom based company be inclined to sell? In fact, there's only two products that Apple sells that could possibly fit into that category -- iPhones and iPads. I find it difficult to believe that T-Mobile would find it strategically advantageous to start carrying cellular iPads before carrying (now very much compatible) iPhone 4,4S, and 5.

You shouldn't read too much into it.
I don't know what's there to read into it. He says it pretty clearly. An iPad would make sense because they could support that with their current technology. I don't think the iPhone would work yet given Apple's unique expectations and restrictions. For most part it sounds like you'd be on EDGE speed with those and that's slower than my 3G Blackberry. Who wants to put up with that?

I'm more curious if this will all lead to a potential takeover in the end. Very speculative of course but Apple investing into communication infrastructure kind of makes sense. Their not selling services and I don't think you can maintain being the biggest tech company and all you do is sell gadgets with now a side business of selling computers. That can't be sustainable. While Facebook is selling hot air others have diversified as a long term strategy - see google or amazon. Apple needs to quickly come up with something and investors won't like it if they keep sitting on unimaginable wads of cash.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 02:18 PM   #92
andyx3x
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradWI View Post
No way they'll allow the $30 Walmart plan to work with iPhones. They'll either raise the price or block it from getting high speed data if you are using an iPhone
This is 100 percent correct. I have the $30 plan right now and I fully expect T-Mobile to take it away from everyone when the iPhone officially comes on board.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotaryP7 View Post
I work for TMO and we've received chargers and i5 cases already. Since last week. Just saying.
So T-Mobile will be carrying the iPhone 5 in early 2013 and won't have to wait for the 4S?
Old Dec 6, 2012, 02:19 PM   #93
iAi
Banned

YES! My contract with 1/2 of the greedy duopoly (AT&T) ends on January 2013.

Wishing for a better and much improved T-Mobile in 2013. I was a happy & satisfied customer for several years on TMo before I did the AT&T iPhone switch.
iAi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 02:20 PM   #94
Bradllez
macrumors 6502

Perhaps this explains the different iPhone 5 rear encasements we have been seeing already.
Bradllez is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 02:21 PM   #95
gaximus
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBB View Post
I only see a $45 plan (500 mins + 2GB data + per message text costs), which is the same price as StraightTalk, but with less texting privileges.
$45 with straight talk is unlimited text, talk, and data
gaximus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 02:22 PM   #96
andyx3x
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotaryP7 View Post
$30/month no contract for TMO includes 100 mins, unlimited text & unlimited web w/ 5GB of 4G speeds.
The point is that this plan will not be available anymore when the iPhone officially comes to T-Mobile.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 02:25 PM   #97
iAi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by koban4max View Post
I'm going to assume that many former t-mobile consumers will jump right back in to tmobile... and you'll know the rest.

p.s. i would love to see that pink chick with tmobile riding that bike say..."oh crap, i've been throttled..."
I am a former T-Mo customer and I'll definitely get 'em again.

Let's hope for the best for T-Mo in 2013 and leave those greedy, price duopoly bastards (A & V).
iAi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 02:25 PM   #98
andyx3x
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by tardman91 View Post
You're welcome.

I wonder how long before T-Mobile has an iPhone commercial out there. I would think pretty quickly.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 02:27 PM   #99
Bob Coxner
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradWI View Post
No way they'll allow the $30 Walmart plan to work with iPhones. They'll either raise the price or block it from getting high speed data if you are using an iPhone
from the Walmart website

"The $30 Unlimited Web & Text with 100 min talk plan works only with T-Mobile Phones purchased from a Walmart store or from Walmart.com."
Old Dec 6, 2012, 02:28 PM   #100
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Of courrrrrrrssssee!!

Again, this AFTER I activate my iPhone 5 and I begin a new two year contract with AT&T.

Oh well, I suppose AT&T will really have to offer me a sweet deal to stick with them in two years. Competition is a great thing!
iMikeT is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion