Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thefrenches

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
I'm full-Apple when it comes to miniature computing (iPhone, iMac, Macbook Pro) but still with a PC for my daily work and home computing (work from home, which is sweet if you can handle it - I know no other way).

I'm desperately in need of an upgrade from the current PC, and thinking very, very strongly about the iMac 27". My only issue, however, is the concern over glare, so I want to wait a bit and see what the user reviews are like once they start arriving.

My desk sits next to a window, with the monitor facing the window near-directly (it faces 75% wall, 25% window, technically) and my current 24" Dell LCD monitor is matte finish, so I have zero glare. I'm not sure if I'll be able to handle a gloss monitor like that on the iPad or MBP, and since nobody yet has one, but for a few select review sites, and the Apple store has...shall we say...complimentary lighting that is not like most offices, I figure I should wait to see what people say with this glare reduction technique (which oddly still uses glossy outer glass).

I hold my iPad up by my monitor and it annoys me that I can see myself and the exterior outside my window, so I truly hope that the new iMac is NOT that glossy. I also recall often using my MBP outside and being frustrated that I cannot see the screen because of the glare. All this tells me that glare is not for me, that a glossy screen is not my style, but dayum I love that new iMac and since I'm loving how Apple uses its cloud and sharing computing, I want to go full Mac (isn't that their evil plan all along?? :cool:)

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
Lots of folks already have 21" models. Perhaps they will chime in with real world experience.

thefrenches

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Lots of folks already have 21" models. Perhaps they will chime in with real world experience.

Really? I looked at several pages of threads, didn't see much, and even looked at the keyword 'glare' and 'glossy' to find some reference to the newest iMacs but came up mostly empty as far as real world experience/reviews.

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
I don't have one,but was at apple store today so spend a good bit of time trying the new 21" out.

I thought the glare wasn't bad and thats in crazy bright apple store...as for the new look,i thought it was great...compared to last gen it's so (searching for word) lite and clean?

Was hard not pulling out the visa and walking out with one. ;)

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
I'll chime in - been a matte screen user for years - love them.

New 2012 21" iMac faces huge windows - very minimal glare / reflection - very pleased with the screen.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Really? I looked at several pages of threads, didn't see much, and even looked at the keyword 'glare' and 'glossy' to find some reference to the newest iMacs but came up mostly empty as far as real world experience/reviews.

Maybe that's the answer to your question. If glare was a problem on the new 21 inchers, there would most likely have been some threads about it by now. I looked at the new 21" iMac at the :apple:store, and with all those overhead lights didn't notice much glare, but maybe your situation is a little different. I'd tilt the iMac in the store a bit to evaluate the situation more thoroughly. And you know, there's always that two week return period, if you absolutely couldn't live with it.

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
I don't have one,but was at apple store today so spend a good bit of time trying the new 21" out.

I thought the glare wasn't bad and thats in crazy bright apple store...as for the new look,i thought it was great...compared to last gen it's so (searching for word) lite and clean?

Was hard not pulling out the visa and walking out with one. ;)

All the posts about the "hump" - IMO - pure rubbish. The new iMac makes our last generation models look "bloated"- lol. Both models are impressive, but the photos don't come close to showing how sleek and svelte the new models are.

I now prefer the new model screen to my matte screens so far as reflections / glare are concerned.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.