Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daveishere

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2008
UK
Sorry if this has been asked before but...

will powernap be a feature on the new iMacs with fusion drive installed? I'm pretty sure Apple only includes this feature on machines with SSD's or power/noise reasons.

Surely (due to the price of the fusion drive) it should?

wehokev

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2007

MeFromHere

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2012
According to this Apple Support Document...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5394?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

... only recent model laptops will support the power nap feature. I don't know why.

I have a 27 iMac (late 2012) with a fusion drive on order. I was especially looking forward to having my Photostream update while my iMac is sleeping. But I guess that is not going to happen.

You might want to check this thread too:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/18776814#18776814

"Last Modified: Sep 20, 2012"

This document wouldn't mention 2012 iMacs whether they support Power Nap or not, since it was released before the iMacs.

wehokev

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2007
"Last Modified: Sep 20, 2012"

This document wouldn't mention 2012 iMacs whether they support Power Nap or not, since it was released before the iMacs.

Excellent point. Mine is expected to be delivered tomorrow. I can't wait to find out. Thanks.

SBruv

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
Or we could just ask someone with a 2012 iMac to check in their Energy Saver preferences. If it supports Power Nap, the Power Nap option will be there.

:)

HunterMaximus

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2008
Toronto, ON, Canada
Power Nap requires being able to run the machine without running the fans or a spinning disk. Given that the iMac uses more powerful CPUs and GPUs, it's likely that it's not safe from a thermal perspective to run it without the fan for any amount of time. Furthermore, Fusion drives require both the SSD and HDD to be active, which also eliminates the iMac (at least non-SSD only models) from Power Nap eligibility.

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-12-17 at 10.07.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-12-17 at 10.07.24 PM.png
    87.8 KB · Views: 128

SpecAU

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2012
I had my 21" fusion hibernate the other night. It was strange. I let it sit for a out 8 hours while I was away. I couldn't remember if I turned it off or not when I got home. A mouse movement or click and a keyboard mash failed to wake it so I turned off the wall outlet.

Next morning when I turned the wall on. Hit the power button and it instantly went to the desktop all previous apps and websites open instantly! No boot up, no chime. Up in 2 seconds flat!

wehokev

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2007
Power Nap requires being able to run the machine without running the fans or a spinning disk. Given that the iMac uses more powerful CPUs and GPUs, it's likely that it's not safe from a thermal perspective to run it without the fan for any amount of time. Furthermore, Fusion drives require both the SSD and HDD to be active, which also eliminates the iMac (at least non-SSD only models) from Power Nap eligibility.

I am not concerned about the noise. My iMac is located in my home office. The single thing that I really wanted was an automatic update of my PhotoStream in iPhoto. I guess I'll have to find or make an automated script to do it. Sounds like a project for the weekend.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.