Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has launched the newest version of its annual "12 Days of Christmas" holiday app for European and Canadian iTunes users. The free app, which is available for the iPhone, the iPod touch, and the iPad, provides free content each day from December 26 to January 8.
You and your friends can download a fantastic selection of songs, music videos, apps, books and TV episodes for free. Each download will only be available for 24 hours. Get our 12 Days of Christmas app to make sure you don't miss out.

Don't have an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch? Don't worry. Come back December 26 to download gifts from your computer.
Apple's 12 Days of Christmas has been a long running tradition in Europe, and has existed in a modified form in Canada for several years, but the Canadian program has now been folded into the main app. Unfortunately, due to regional licensing restrictions, Apple is unable to offer the same promotion in the United States.

12daysofchristmas.jpg

Last year, gifts included episodes of The Big Bang Theory and Mad Men, music videos and songs from Kings of Leon, and games like Diner Dash and Fishing Kings.

The 12 Days of Christmas app can be downloaded for free in the Canadian and U.K. App Stores, as well as those for a number of other European countries.

Article Link: Apple's Free 12 Days of Christmas App Now Live for International Customers

Last edited:

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
I really enjoyed the gifts last year, and what can you complain about with it being free.

Glad it has returned!

mankar4

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2007
USA
Can someone explain how these liscencing laws work and how they differ by country?

extricated

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Arkansas
I have no heartburn about it not being in the U.S. (yes, I'm an American).

It seems like it would be a benefit for not only the iTunes user, but also for the producers of the media consumed. There's a great potential of gaining new customers.
People who are already fans of a particular band or TV Show likely own the material.
Others (not in the market in the first place) may be introduced to something they had no reason to put money on previously and find they become (paying) fans.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
2010 was great, 2011 was not much there I wanted to download. I hope 2012 is better than last year. Buy hey I can't complain as it is free.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
The rare situation where foreign customers get an Apple product or service and not the U.S. Enjoy it while it lasts Canadians. . . you know you're next on the list for invasion the moment we elect a Republican President! :)

nrose101

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2011
Who really cares about free music? I want free tv shows! We don't get that anymore either :eek: (last year cw gave a few free but that was about it)

We may not get this but we do get the free song of the week, which is 52 free songs instead of just 12 hahahahaha

Last edited:

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
great, have been waiting to see whether this will come back. I hope they give away more apps this year.

ayale99

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2007
No worries. We Americans have more useless crap laying around than anyone else in the world. Some of us will still complain about this though. One shiny object to the next.

They don't call us consumers for nothing!

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Time to create a Canadian iTunes account :D

You do realize that they do it based on IP address. Unless you're hitting a Canadian proxy you won't be able to access the Canadian iTunes store.

It's not worth all that trouble. The stuff they give away sucks anyways.

agentjonny

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2011
canada
no, they don't do it on ip address. I have a u.s. and a Canadian account and can freely use both anywhere in the world. amazon on the other hand....

chiefsilverback

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2011
You do realize that they do it based on IP address. Unless you're hitting a Canadian proxy you won't be able to access the Canadian iTunes store.

It's not worth all that trouble. The stuff they give away sucks anyways.
They do it based on credit card and billing address. My UK account still work just fine in the US...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.