Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Dec 6, 2012, 03:53 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Snapseed Adds New Filters, Goes Free

After being named the 2011 App of the Year, popular iOS photo editing app Snapseed was acquired by Google when the company purchased Nik Software.

Google today dropped the price of Snapseed, making the app free to download. Previously, the iOS version of Snapseed cost $4.99. The update also brings new filters, Google+ integration, and a new icon. From the App Store description:
Quote:
New Retrolux filter! Use one of the newly created film styles, combined with a range of different scratches and textures as well as light leaks to create a truly retro look for your photos.

Updated Frames filter! Now includes a wide range of new, high quality photographic frames. Colorize the frame edges to match the look of your image or switch to square mode with a single tap.
Aside from the filters, the free version of Snapseed appears to be the same as the previous paid version, but there is a new splash page which refers to the app as "Google+ Snapseed."

The iOS version of Snapseed [App Store] is currently available in the App Store at no cost. The Mac version of the app [Mac App Store] has yet to be updated and is still a $19.99 download in the Mac App Store. Google also released an Android version of the app, which is available for free in the Google Play store.

Article Link: Snapseed Adds New Filters, Goes Free
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 03:56 PM   #2
jmthigpen
macrumors regular

awesome, love that it's free now!
jmthigpen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 04:18 PM   #3
Razeus
macrumors 68040

I hope the Mac app store version goes free too. I paid $4.99 for the iOS long ago.
Razeus is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 04:46 PM   #4
Usehername
macrumors member

Hmmm...does that mean there's ads now? I ain't update if so.
Usehername is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 04:58 PM   #5
musser
macrumors member

'Free' from Google?

I guarantee you... if it's from Google, it ain't free. Oh, you may not have to pay upfront for it, but you'll pay... SOMEthing...SOME way, eventually. I'm sure it's yet another scheme by Google to get your personal information. I'm staying clear of it like I do now from all things Google.
musser is offline   19 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 05:06 PM   #6
sir1963nz
macrumors regular

Why...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
I hope the Mac app store version goes free too. I paid $4.99 for the iOS long ago.
$4.99 seems cheap to have Google NOT snoop on everything you do, NOT to feed you adverts, NOT to "accidentally" bypass your security/do not track settings and have then say sorry later for it.

Google has become untrustworthy in my books, their motto should be changed to "Don't be caught being evil"
sir1963nz is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 05:11 PM   #7
iWe
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by musser View Post
I guarantee you... if it's from Google, it ain't free. Oh, you may not have to pay upfront for it, but you'll pay... SOMEthing...SOME way, eventually. I'm sure it's yet another scheme by Google to get your personal information. I'm staying clear of it like I do now from all things Google.
Same here.
iWe is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 05:14 PM   #8
Erwin-Br
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir1963nz View Post
NOT to "accidentally" bypass your security/do not track settings and have then say sorry later for it.
Bypass what security? The people who's network got accessed by Google didn't have their WPA security on and left the door wide open. Not saying that's an excuse, but I'm wondering why you're making things sound worse than they are.

And please tell me which company doesn't track their users. Apple serves ads too.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 05:21 PM   #9
The Phazer
macrumors 68030

Snapseed is a really good app, so this is good news.

I hope they don't keep that ugly new icon though.
The Phazer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 05:54 PM   #10
Sardonick007
macrumors regular

I really like this app. Glad it's free. I really like the G+ direct integration for uploading edited shots. It's fast, and the filters are nice and responsive. Not bad. Google or not, it's a nice app.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 06:15 PM   #11
qtx43
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin-Br View Post
Bypass what security? The people who's network got accessed by Google didn't have their WPA security on and left the door wide open. Not saying that's an excuse, but I'm wondering why you're making things sound worse than they are.

And please tell me which company doesn't track their users. Apple serves ads too.
What about Google's javascript malware which circumvented Safari's "do not track" option. They wanted official blessing from Apple via their maps app, but didn't get it. If they behave true to form, they'll be doing everything they can to circumvent iOS's security restrictions too.
qtx43 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 06:22 PM   #12
gotluck
macrumors 68040

Quote:
it's okay, google is watching you post on macrumors right now
Old Dec 6, 2012, 07:39 PM   #13
ViperDesign
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

If you are that worried you might as well just get off the internet right now. Cut the cord and play outside, oh yeah, can't do that either because someone is watching you there as well.

Your phones are tapped, your computer is tapped, your entire life is tapped.

Welcome to the new world. And if you don't think every single communication is being watched, you haven't seen the HUGE facility the NSA is building here in Utah to do so even better than before
Old Dec 6, 2012, 07:39 PM   #14
glintoz
macrumors newbie

A

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir1963nz View Post
$4.99 seems cheap to have Google NOT snoop on everything you do, NOT to feed you adverts, NOT to "accidentally" bypass your security/do not track settings and have then say sorry later for it.

Google has become untrustworthy in my books, their motto should be changed to "Don't be caught being evil"
Nothing from large corporates is ever free. I ain't giving them anything (well knowingly or willingly anyway).

I equate Google to Skynet from Terminator 2... as long as it never goes sentient we are fine......
glintoz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 07:56 PM   #15
DesterWallaboo
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I agree with everything you said here.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperDesign View Post
If you are that worried you might as well just get off the internet right now. Cut the cord and play outside, oh yeah, can't do that either because someone is watching you there as well.

Welcome to the new world. And if you don't think every single communication is being watched, you haven't seen the HUGE facility the NSA is building here in Utah to do so even better than before
It's called 'reducing your exposure'.... I won't willingly give them access to my information in exchange for some nifty app.
DesterWallaboo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 08:02 PM   #16
ThunderSkunk
macrumors 68000

I love google.

Keep your money
Pay with your SOUL
FOR EVER AND EVER AND EVER AND...
ThunderSkunk is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 08:06 PM   #17
DesterWallaboo
macrumors 6502

Quote:

Apple doesn't sell your personal information, whereas that is Google's primary business.
DesterWallaboo is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 09:39 PM   #18
naveah
macrumors regular

This is fantastic. Slowly—but surely—Google is encroaching on Apple’s iOS turf. With all these app launches from Google in the past few weeks, I feel that a Google Maps app is imminent.

I also wonder if the same (free) fate awaits the Sparrow app, purchased by Google a few months ago?
naveah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 09:45 PM   #19
haruhiko
macrumors 68030

Quote:
As long as it doesn't secretly upload all my photos to their server I'm fine with that. What can it steal provided that iOS 6 now asks me if it wants to access my contacts, calendar, etc. etc. Oh not to mention I use gmail... it's definitely the best free mail service on the planet.

----------

Quote:

When Google Earth can zoom up to street level on a remote city in Central Asia, I'm sure many countries in the world can watch your every step just by flicking on a button. Not to mention online activities. If you think there is any privacy on the internet you're delusional. Apple's apps are sandboxed and what they can potentially do with an iOS app is minimal. With 75% of so called market share of Android phones, I'm sure Google is more interested in their data than ours.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:38 PM   #20
John.B
macrumors 68040

As a photographer, my concern isn't for Snapseed. I'm hoping Google doesn't kill off the excellent Nik software toolsets such as Viveza, Dfine, Sharpener Pro, etc. that it got in their acquisition of Snapseed.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by haruhiko View Post
Apple's apps are sandboxed and what they can potentially do with an iOS app is minimal. With 75% of so called market share of Android phones, I'm sure Google is more interested in their data than ours.
Nothing is off limits when a company lacks ethics:

Google Circumvents Safari Privacy Protections - This is Why We Need Do Not Track

Last edited by John.B; Dec 6, 2012 at 11:44 PM.
John.B is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 12:24 AM   #21
CodeBreaker
macrumors 6502

Got excited, installed it, used it. It is a fine image editor. But as soon I learnt that it got Googled, I deleted it. Not sure why. Anyways, I use the default camera app on my phone to snap, and editing only happens on my Mac, if required.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 12:36 AM   #22
petsounds
macrumors 65816

I hate these app icons that introduce this kind of idiotic, tilted perspective. Who thought that was a good idea?

Checked out the app. Nothing special. I find the interface confusing, and if you have to have a tutorial screen for every feature, you haven't made an intuitive interface. But I guess that fits right in with Google's products.
petsounds is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 12:44 AM   #23
taxiapple
macrumors regular

Fake

This app has been changing it's price back and forth between $4.99 & free
since it was released.
Since June of 2011 it has flip floped 14 times.....more than most politicians.
taxiapple is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 12:48 AM   #24
nagromme
macrumors G5

Quote:

Yes, there are many privacy threats... but they are not all equal.

The difference being that Google makes nearly ALL their money from tracking users. It’s what makes ads worth so much to buy. Subtracting Google from your privacy problems is no empty gesture: others may have some of your data... but Google won’t have it and won’t be renting it out (anonymized or otherwise). Same goes for Facebook. I’d rather have the NSA track me than NSA + Google + Facebook.

Whereas other companies aren’t so focused on that—such as Apple, who makes nearly ALL their money by providing a good experience that keeps customers returning.

That said, if Google does anything sneaky with Snapseed, they’ll get caught before too long, so I don’t feel the need to avoid the app. (I won’t sign in to Google with it, though.)
nagromme is online now   6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 01:50 AM   #25
olowott
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to olowott
so many app from the Google Team

We just want Maps

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion