Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
Hi I've been with AT&T for a long time. We have a family plan each with unlimited data. What I don't like is now that I have an iPhone 5 I've been getting throttled every month.

I'm able to get hold of a VZW family plan each line having unlimited data. What I like about VZW is that they don't throttle and you have the ability to use unlimited Mobile Hotspot.

Pricing is about the same between both carriers.

The only issue I see with VZW is to keep unlimited data you have to buy a device at full price. I keep my iPhones for 2 years so when that time is up I can sell my iPhone 5 as an example and use the sale to get the next iPhone at full retail.

Another factor is I have 3 other lines to worry about when it's their time to get new devices. With 4 lines total that can get expensive

Anyone else care to share their experience or thoughts on having a 4 + lines with VZW and how you have or plan to get new devices when the time comes.

drkryn

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2011
Either you can afford to upgrade your phones at full retail cost or you can't.

If keeping the unlimited data is important to you then that's what you will need to do. Only you can determine what you can or cannot afford.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
You found a verizon family plan with 4 lines all with unlimited data plans to take over?
And you're willing to lose all your current phone numbers and either use the numbers those people were using or getting brand new phone numbers for all 4 lines?

apb89

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2012
In my opinion, switching from GSM to CDMA is not a good idea. I suggest you just stick with ATT or go to Tmobile

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
You found a verizon family plan with 4 lines all with unlimited data plans to take over?
And you're willing to lose all your current phone numbers and either use the numbers those people were using or getting brand new phone numbers for all 4 lines?

All our contacts have our Google Voice #'s so that will carry over.

I found someone who's moving over seas who has a 4 line VZW family plan each line has unlimited data. He's willing to give it to me to avoid ETF.

On my current AT&T plan I have 1 iPhone 5, 2 4S's and 1 Inspire. I can easily sell the 4S's. I also have someone who wants to swap my AT&T iPhone 5 for his VZW iPhone 5.

Browns2212

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2012
Orchard Park, NY
I think an important question is "how much data do you use each month?".

When I upgraded to my I5, I had to give up my unlimited data plan (which sucked). I listen to TuneIn Radio while at work for about 4-5 hours each day (no Wi-Fi available) and make sure I turn on Wi-Fi anywhere else. I used right around 2GB in November. I still pay the $30 each month for that data. I was actually surprised that I "only" used around 2 GB because I also use the normal stuff as well quite regularly (twitter, fb, email, internet).

I guess it depends on if you can afford to pay for more GB's if you need them. I think in October I went over and it was an extra $10.

Outside of that, I love Verizon's coverage and reliability. I'm in NW Ohio and we have a lot of LTE coverage and I hardly ever drop a call.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
I think an important question is "how much data do you use each month?".

When I upgraded to my I5, I had to give up my unlimited data plan (which sucked). I listen to TuneIn Radio while at work for about 4-5 hours each day (no Wi-Fi available) and make sure I turn on Wi-Fi anywhere else. I used right around 2GB in November. I still pay the $30 each month for that data. I was actually surprised that I "only" used around 2 GB because I also use the normal stuff as well quite regularly (twitter, fb, email, internet).

I guess it depends on if you can afford to pay for more GB's if you need them. I think in October I went over and it was an extra $10.

Outside of that, I love Verizon's coverage and reliability. I'm in NW Ohio and we have a lot of LTE coverage and I hardly ever drop a call.

If I get the VZW family plan line it would be an AOL and each of the 4 lines has unlimited data @$29.99.

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
Move to a mobile share plan with AT&T. Look and see how much data all your lines are using per month and choose the proper amount of data needed. You probably pay about the same or possibly a little cheaper depending on how much data your lines need. You would then be able to have the hotspot feature and you won't get throttled. You also wouldn't have to pay full retail for your phones. Everyone is so fixated about not having unlimited data. With a little research, you can find a mobile share plan that suffices your needs.

SeniorGato1

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2010
You don't need all new phones. Suggest you buy some used iphone 4 or 4s's or even some 4g androids. Although verizon's 3G speeds are much slower than att's 3g.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
Move to a mobile share plan with AT&T. Look and see how much data all your lines are using per month and choose the proper amount of data needed. You probably pay about the same or possibly a little cheaper depending on how much data your lines need. You would then be able to have the hotspot feature and you won't get throttled. You also wouldn't have to pay full retail for your phones. Everyone is so fixated about not having unlimited data. With a little research, you can find a mobile share plan that suffices your needs.

I'm on AT&T right now and know how much data each line uses. 3 lines use average 6GB each and 1 line averages 3GB for a total of 21 GB.

We each have unlimited LTE with AT&T. But not that Verizon LTE is any better or their coverage is better in my area but because the ability to have unlimited mobile hotspot and use our sims in our iPads to get unlimited data on our iPads.

I currently pay $212/month with taxes and with my discount for 4 lines that each have unlimited data. 700 minute share minutes and unlimited family text and mobile to ANY mobile.

The mobile share with unlimited calling and text for 20GB would cost me ALOT more.

Last edited:

Jades

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2012
I hope you are aware that personal hotspot on Verizon iPhone is blocked if you have an unlimited data plan (unless you pay a $30/month premium). iPad is another story - it'll work without issue

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
I'm on AT&T right now and know how much data each line uses. 3 lines use average 6GB each and 1 line averages 3GB for a total of 21 GB.

We each have unlimited LTE with AT&T. But not that Verizon LTE is any better or their coverage is better in my area but because the ability to have unlimited mobile hotspot and use our sims in our iPads to get unlimited data on our iPads.

I currently pay $212/month with taxes and with my discount for 4 lines that each have unlimited data. 700 minute share minutes and unlimited family text and mobile to ANY mobile.

The mobile share with unlimited calling and text for 20GB would cost me ALOT more.

Good luck with that. You obviously, must not use wifi at all at home/work to be using 20 GB of data per month.

So, you are going to have to get 4 new iPhones at the no contract price and you will also have to get new iPads as well to switch to Verizon.

Get a Verizon iPad and alleviate your data usage on AT&T by using the Verizon iPad as hotspot. As stated above, unlimited data on the iPhone on Verizon doesn't include hotspots, unless pay and additional $30 per phone.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
Baggio said:
Good luck with that. You obviously, must not use wifi at all at home/work to be using 20 GB of data per month.

Whether with AT&T or Verizon it wouldn't matter because I have unlimited data with AT&T and can get unlimited data with Verizon.

Baggio said:
So, you are going to have to get 4 new iPhones at the no contract price and you will also have to get new iPads as well to switch to Verizon.

I can use one of the devices to tether to our iPads.

I can easily sell the 2 iPhone 4S's. And I have someone who would swap my AT&T iPhone 5 for his Verizon iPhone 5. My wife wouldn't mind a Galaxy Nexus.

Baggio said:
Get a Verizon iPad and alleviate your data usage on AT&T by using the Verizon iPad as hotspot. As stated above, unlimited data on the iPhone on Verizon doesn't include hotspots, unless pay and additional $30 per phone.

I would pay $30 for mobile hotspot on on the iPhone 5 or can get it for free on a potential Galaxy Nexus that would be for my wife.

jrasero

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
NYC
Hi I've been with AT&T for a long time. We have a family plan each with unlimited data. What I don't like is now that I have an iPhone 5 I've been getting throttled every month.

I'm able to get hold of a VZW family plan each line having unlimited data. What I like about VZW is that they don't throttle and you have the ability to use unlimited Mobile Hotspot.

Pricing is about the same between both carriers.

The only issue I see with VZW is to keep unlimited data you have to buy a device at full price. I keep my iPhones for 2 years so when that time is up I can sell my iPhone 5 as an example and use the sale to get the next iPhone at full retail.

Another factor is I have 3 other lines to worry about when it's their time to get new devices. With 4 lines total that can get expensive

Anyone else care to share their experience or thoughts on having a 4 + lines with VZW and how you have or plan to get new devices when the time comes.

Defiantly. I had my own line on AT&T for the iPhone 4 and I had so many dropped calls, poor reception or lack of reception thereof. Speeds in NYC were okay

Last year I went on a Verizon family plan and while it's more money than I paid on AT&T the speeds are great, better 4G LTE coverage, and I never have a dropped call

Things to think about: do you call and surf the web at the same time? Verizon can't do this? Verizon hardly gives out early or promotional upgrades like AT&T.

HankHowdy

macrumors 68040
Dec 2, 2012
Victorville CA
Unlimited data plans are no longer available from VZW for new customers anymore. I don't get why the OP thinks he will get that when switching.

HadItWithWindow

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2008
I switched from AT&T to Verizon after years because Verizon has a stronger signal in our area. I wished I hadn't.

It is either my iPhone5 or Verizon that makes receiving calls very difficult. Some times my phone does not ring but I get a message of missed called. Other times the other party cannot hear me.

I don't know whether or not this is an iPhone issue or a Verizon issue but it is a handicap.

Also, I purchased a new iPad when the iPhone5 came out and much to my disgust Apple brought out a newer iPad that surprised everyone. I tried to return it for exchange but no luck since it had been 40 days from date of purchase.

The AT&T service was MUCH better for iPad. If I had it to do over again I'd stick with AT&T in spite of the fact their towers aren't that great locally.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
Defiantly. I had my own line on AT&T for the iPhone 4 and I had so many dropped calls, poor reception or lack of reception thereof. Speeds in NYC were okay

Last year I went on a Verizon family plan and while it's more money than I paid on AT&T the speeds are great, better 4G LTE coverage, and I never have a dropped call

Things to think about: do you call and surf the web at the same time? Verizon can't do this? Verizon hardly gives out early or promotional upgrades like AT&T.

I never had issues with voice with AT&T. Can't remember when I dropped a call. I'm in the Philly market, top 5-6 metro's in the USA.

I don't talk and surf much unless I'm on hold with the other party.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I think the main thing to look at is if you have LTE in your area. Verizon 3G is slow compared to HSPA+ and of course, LTE. With those speeds, you might not even need unlimited. :eek:

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
I think the main thing to look at is if you have LTE in your area. Verizon 3G is slow compared to HSPA+ and of course, LTE. With those speeds, you might not even need unlimited. :eek:

I would say Verizon and AT&T LTE coverage is equal in the Philly metro.

Is Verizon 3G slower than being throttled on AT&T LTE which is 500 Kbps down and up? Because since I've gotten my AT&T iPhone 5 I've been throttled every month at LTE throttling, 500 Kbps down and up. So if I happen to fall back from Verizon LTE to Verizon 3G would it be faster than throttled AT&T LTE?

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I would say Verizon and AT&T LTE coverage is equal in the Philly metro.

Is Verizon 3G slower than being throttled on AT&T LTE which is 500 Kbps down and up? Because since I've gotten my AT&T iPhone 5 I've been throttled every month at LTE throttling, 500 Kbps down and up. So if I happen to fall back from Verizon LTE to Verizon 3G would it be faster than throttled AT&T LTE?

Verizon is a LITTLE bit faster that throttled AT&T. But, I wouldn't say it's worth having the constant throttled feel, all the time.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
Verizon is a LITTLE bit faster that throttled AT&T. But, I wouldn't say it's worth having the constant throttled feel, all the time.

In my market I would find it hard to believe that I wouldn't have Verizon LTE the vast majority of the time. I'm in the Philly metro.

Currently I'm throttled on my AT&T iPhone 5.

Last edited:

BarryL

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2012
The Verizon LTE footprint is huge across the country. You can't go wrong with it. AT&T LTE will catchup, but it will be a while.

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
Do you make frequent use of the AT&T ability to use the phone and DATA at the same time? I tried Verizon, and couldn't get used to that limitation.

I couldn't receive or send emails, couldn't surf the web while on hold, couldn't surf while on long calls with my family.

I couldn't access documents in my dropbox while on calls....

These limitations (and others) were deal breakers for me.

I honestly didn't think I would notice, but it drove me batty.

utahusker

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2006
In my market I would find it hard to believe that I wouldn't have Verizon LTE the vast majority of the time. I'm in the Philly metro.

Currently I'm throttled on my AT&T iPhone 5.
I just switched to Verizon due to the LTE coverage in my area. I don't know how metro areas are covered, but in my case, I have LTE coverage in most of the small towns out here in Southern UT(middle of nowhere). The rest is strong 3G on the highways connecting them. AT&T has LTE in SLC only.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.