Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

tmobile_iphone_unlimited_unlocked-150x148.jpg
Just as it announces that it will begin offering Apple products, presumably including the iPhone and iPad, next year, T-Mobile USA has also revealed that it will be restructuring the way it sells to customers by eliminating device subsidies and focusing on lower monthly plan costs. The plans were announced at Deutsche Telekom's annual investor conference today and noted by Fierce Wireless.
Currently T-Mobile offers Classic plans that subsidize the device and require a two-year contract and Value plans that let customers pay the full cost of their smartphones or pay it off in monthly installments in exchange for lower monthly plan rates. Legere said that in 2013 T-Mobile will eliminate its Classic rate plans that include device subsidies and instead only offer Value plans to customers.
Under one example for "the most iconic device in the world", Legere noted that customers might pay $99 upfront and then $15-$20 per month for 20 months on top of their monthly plan in order to pay off the full cost of the device. With the customer being responsible for the full cost of the device, T-Mobile can offer lower base plan pricing.
Legere did not provide specifics on the company's plans to offer Apple products, which was announced earlier today. However, he did say that when the company launches Apple's products, it will be dramatically different. He also said that T-Mobile had not made a volume commitment to purchase Apple products on size of what Sprint Nextel has committed to "or anything close to it." Sprint last year inked a four-year, $15.5 billion deal to sell the iPhone.
T-Mobile will become the last of the four major U.S. carriers to offer the iPhone, joining AT&T, Verizon, Sprint and a host of smaller carriers that have partnered with Apple on the device.

Article Link: T-Mobile USA to Cease Offering Subsidized Device Pricing Options in 2013

bboyredcel

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2006
sounds awesome. makes me actually want to consider t-mobile.

too bad i <3 my straight talk.

mlayer

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2009
Bravo T-Mobile. Get that LTE network up soon and I'll come back. Hope this starts a trend of similar pricing structures on other carriers.

MJedi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2010
Depending on how much the monthly plans are, this might a good way to attract customers. Your monthly plans SHOULD be lower if you use an unsubsidized phone. Isn't the point of a contract is that you pay for the phone over the 2-year contract? And when the phone is paid off, your monthly should go down.

Not at AT&T or Verizon.

nickn

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
Hopefully they keep the current prepaid prices! As it is they have unlimited everything prepaid for $50 a month, which is a decent deal.

britboyj

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2009
Soooo they're going with the model the REST of the world uses, but will probably be the most expensive place to actually buy devices... Interesting.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Moving to the european pricing model. This will definitely benefit google far more than apple as Apple relies on carrier subsidies heavily to get sales in the US market.

chiefsilverback

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2011
I'm not really sure how this changes anything, instead of paying $80/month you pay $60/month for your service + $20/month for the device!?!?!

They already address the difference in the handset costs with the amount they charge for the handset hence why a 64GB iPhone 5 costs considerably more on a subsidised contract than a lesser handset.

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003
I'm not really sure how this changes anything so instead of paying $80/month you pay $60/month for your service + $20/month for the device!?!?!

They already address the difference in the handset costs with the amount they charge for the handset hence why a 64GB iPhone 5 costs considerably more on a subsidised contract than a lesser handset.

At the end of two years you’re paying $60 a month, currently you would continue to pay $80 a month despite having “paid off” the phone. So if you’re the type of customer who likes upgrading more frequently the net result is the same, if you couldn’t care less and keep your phone for more than 2 years you end up ahead of the game.

stayblunted

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2012
just back from making a great salami sandwich and i read this! im already on tmobile w. my unlocked iphone 4s in nyc. this is awesome for people who want to save money. its my birthday today so I feel like its a coincidence

as0016

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
This does not seem materially different then than the way it works now.

Unless there is a specially designed iphone that gets aws (and thus can work even in places with their older spectrum) or something, it's just like it is with their current value plans and an unlocked unsubsidized iphone 5 from the apple store. The only minor difference is paying for the phone more slowly, over time, instead of having to lay out all 650+ at the time of purchase...

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Moving to the european pricing model. This will definitely benefit google far more than apple as Apple relies on carrier subsidies heavily to get sales in the US market.

If it takes hold. Even the Galaxy S3 has a hefty $350 subsidy. It will take more than $15-20/month less on a 2-year contract to make it worthwhile. T-Mobile tried a version of this a few years ago (their "Even More+" plans, which were non-contract), but when given the choice most customers stuck with the subsidized plans. Their "Value" plans still require a 2 year contact.

chiefsilverback

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2011
At the end of two years you’re paying $60 a month, currently you would continue to pay $80 a month despite having “paid off” the phone. So if you’re the type of customer who likes upgrading more frequently the net result is the same, if you couldn’t care less and keep your phone for more than 2 years you end up ahead of the game.
But am I not right in thinking that after 2 years you can ask Verizon or ATT to unlock your device and you're then free to go wherever you like?

Redbeard25

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2003
Give me a pay-per-voice-minute, unlimited text and unlimited data plan, and I'm there.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
This is a great thing for US consumers... but I'm not sure they're going to recognize that fact.

----------

Give me a pay-per-voice-minute, unlimited text and unlimited data plan, and I'm there.

Their $30/month, 100-minute voice plan (only available on the web) is essentially this. I believe if you go over 100 minutes in a month the cost is 10 cents/per minute.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
I'm not really sure how this changes anything, instead of paying $80/month you pay $60/month for your service + $20/month for the device!?!?!

Like someone said a few posts above mine, it benefits you in the long run. You pay $x/month regardless of whether you're in a contract or not.

This is what made me decide to get an iPhone in the first place. I've been with Fido (in Canada) since 1999 and I always prided myself on NOT locking myself into a contract during all that time. Then it finally occurred to me that whether or not I was in a contract, I was still paying the same $x/month for my service fees, except the guy with the contract was getting a new phone every 3 years! Not so proud after all!

What really should happen for a "best of all worlds" experience is that the subsidy should be billed separately, and then stop, once the phone is paid off. Some providers are moving to this model (the "tab" model).

Born Again

macrumors 601
May 12, 2011
Norcal
This is a great thing for US consumers... but I'm not sure they're going to recognize that fact.

----------

Their $30/month, 100-minute voice plan (only available on the web) is essentially this. I believe if you go over 100 minutes in a month the cost is 10 cents/per minute.

Yup -

RADIO

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
Wow. Color me impressed. When apple released the first iPhone I always thought they would be the ones that turned the cell phone industry in the US upside down getting rid of the contracts.

But apparently it's t-mobile. However this isn't big news yet. It's essentially the same thing just a portion of the bill will be marked phone instead of service. But it's a step in the right direction

Cinch

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2005
Bring your own phone

I'm in!

$30/month for 100 talk min, unlimited text and unlimited 3G is all I need. Who cares for LTE, so long as it can handle Pandora.

$70/month for above with unlimited tethering with LTE? Now we are talking. This is truly ideal! Imagine cutting home internet and tether. Your communication bill is just $70/month.

Of course I'll bring my pre-paid iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.