Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 6, 2012, 06:51 PM   #26
BJB Productions
macrumors 65816

That awkward moment when autocorrect changes my common typo of "thatits (that it's)" to "that tits."
Old Dec 6, 2012, 06:52 PM   #27
bacaramac
macrumors 65816

Not going to be home so I logged onto Dish app to record. According to guide details, the Apple CEO is Jim Cook. Stupid Dish or NBC (not sure which one) Haha
bacaramac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 06:52 PM   #28
cgc
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolMacGuy View Post
Its all about learning to trust auto-correct. It fixes things most of the time. Just have to keep typing and let it do it's thing. It's MUCH slower to go back and correct your mistakes. Even if it doesn't correct them, it's still quicker to tap the word when you're done and choose the correct spelling than going back and fixing it at the time. People are always amazed when I bang out +70 words a minute on my iPhone or iPad. Once you get use to it, it's just as fast as on a physical keyboard.
But when auto correct goes wrong it's really annoying and sometimes hard to locate and fix. When I make a mistake it's an obvious type, I don't replace one word with something completely random like autocorrect does. I'm all for physical keyboards...they'll have a place in business. Text to speech may take some keyboard market share in homes (can't have everyone at work talking at same time to computers) but hard to play games with text to speech so we may get something that hasn't been thought of yet to replace keyboards.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 06:53 PM   #29
BeyondTheKM
macrumors newbie

Dropped they keyboard?

What the hell? I guess that's why he never responds to the e-mails I send.

Twitter @ApertureWeb
BeyondTheKM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 06:53 PM   #30
Nermal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
I think people are not using autocorrect correctly. It makes typing so easy.

I try my best to TRUST autocorrect and I can type like a BEAST on my iPhone and iPad.
I tryst autocorrect too but it dies t necessarily mean that it does a good job !
Nermal is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 06:56 PM   #31
CReimer
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbytallant View Post
Wow a 500 word essay? Is that the demands of the US education system today
I know too many college graduates who can't write a halfway decent three-sentence email with a beginning, middle and ending that gets a single point across. Worst, they seem to work in the I.T. department.
CReimer is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 06:57 PM   #32
DisMyMac
macrumors 65816

Sounds like GM executives... building cars that they like to drive.
DisMyMac is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 06:58 PM   #33
laudern
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Give the poor guy a break. That 500 words probably doesn't include the quotes he needs from reliable sources like Donald Duck and Pluto....
laudern is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 06:58 PM   #34
Digital Skunk
macrumors 604

I agree with using mobile devices, tablets and phones to do many of the tasks we do day to day, but there's no way I am going to trust autocorrect on any iOS device.

I use my iPad for everything outside of the content creation (video/web/mobile apps/etc.) and now my GNoteII is doing 80% of what my iPad does and it just does it a little better.

SO . . . . I hope Apple either makes autocorrect better, make the speech to text as good or better than what I get on a Samsung phone, or make the iPhone Pro with 5.5" screen that I've been waiting for that has both of those.

As a matter of fact, all three would be nice.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 07:02 PM   #35
blackhand1001
macrumors 68030

Sorry Tim but as much as I like tablets and smartphones, if your doing all your work on an ipad than your probably not doing much work at all. There is still no substitute for a proper laptop or desktop.
Moto X Dev Edition (VZW) Nexus 7
blackhand1001 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 07:02 PM   #36
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
500 word essay at the high school level? Give these poor kids a break, man. That's practically a doctoral thesis!
Renzatic is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 07:03 PM   #37
electric
macrumors regular

Sweet Tim!

I guess ur not doing any production work then or work work for that matter.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 07:04 PM   #38
DrumApple
macrumors regular

Yeah well when all you have to do is reply to people "yes" or "no", sure I'd be able to use an iPad 80% of the time too.

Tell the people who have to type out lengthy documents and emails like 98% of the rest of us who aren't CEO's of Fortune 500 companies.
DrumApple is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 07:04 PM   #39
Merlin9
macrumors newbie

Maybe Tim just wants to push Ipad 4 sales....
Merlin9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 07:05 PM   #40
CShort
macrumors regular

CEooooo's

Typical CEO. He should talk to his IT department about ditching keyboards and see what they think.
CShort is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 07:06 PM   #41
blackhand1001
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric View Post
I guess ur not doing any production work then or work work for that matter.
would explain explain the subpar stuff coming out of apple lately. I can't stand tim cook. And hes a terrible keynote speaker. Holy crap I wanna punch him with his sappy speeches he always makes.
Moto X Dev Edition (VZW) Nexus 7
blackhand1001 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 07:08 PM   #42
CShort
macrumors regular

Autocorrect

Autocorrect can have it's upside. My wife was emailing me about Bimbo's the other day
CShort is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 07:08 PM   #43
coolfactor
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornAgainApple View Post
Trust Auto-Correct??? If Tim Cook ever leaves Apple, he has a promising career in comedy.
You do realize that:
  1. the autocorrect learns as you use it
  2. you can change or disable some of the built-in autocompletions

If you're struggling with autocorrect, you haven't taken the time to learn to use it properly. Period.
coolfactor is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 07:08 PM   #44
MattInOz
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrip View Post
So Tim spends 20% of his screen time doing heavy typing? Get that man a secretary!
Maybe his staff go home at sensible times.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 07:10 PM   #45
Badandy
macrumors 68040

I type very fast on a physical keyboard, no chance I can beat it on a virtual keyboard where I can only use two fingers.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 07:12 PM   #46
coolfactor
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermal View Post
I tryst autocorrect too but it dies t necessarily mean that it does a good job !
About the "t" in your sentence, that's not caused by autocorrect, but seems to be a non-responsiveness with the keyboard. I get that all the time where I find that certain key presses just haven't registered when I expected them to. I have to go back and type more slowly. The autocorrection doesn't bother nearly as much as that does.
coolfactor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 07:14 PM   #47
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badandy View Post
I type very fast on a physical keyboard, no chance I can beat it on a virtual keyboard where I can only use two fingers.
I touch type when I've got my iPad set in landscape orientation, and have actually gotten decently fast with it. Not keyboard fast, but fast enough to use in a pinch.

Problem is, even after using it for 6 months, I still make a damn crapton of mistakes on the thing.
Renzatic is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 07:16 PM   #48
KanosWRX
macrumors regular

LOL, he is a CEO, he spends most of his time out of the office anyways probably. Has at least one secretary to type for him. Doesn't use any user interface intensive applications like excel or word probably. Probably just reads e-mails and answers phone calls most of the time. So of course he doesn't need a physical keyboard. Neither does a UPS delivery man. Doesn't mean most of the rest of us who create and manage all of your data and system don't!
KanosWRX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 07:17 PM   #49
borostef
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornAgainApple View Post
Trust Auto-Correct??? If Tim Cook ever leaves Apple, he has a promising career in comedy.
My thoughts exactly… He is a rather funny person...
borostef is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 07:18 PM   #50
zorinlynx
macrumors 68030

Autocorrect sometimes acts deranged. More than once I've completely typed out a word but accidentally tacked an extra letter on the end, and rather than correct it to that word when I hit space, *BAMF* an entirely different word appears there.

Or I get one letter wrong and again, *KAZAM!* a whole different word, like dark magic.

It's not really all that common, and sometimes autocorrect works really well, correcting gibberish (misaligned typing) into the word I wanted, but.. often I feel like Discord himself has invaded my phone.
zorinlynx is offline   3 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion