Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As part of its teaser for tonight's Rock Center interview with Apple CEO Tim Cook, NBC has released a clip with Cook talking about the virtual keyboard built into the iPhone and the iPad. He suggests that Brian Williams should stick with it and trust the autocorrect feature in iOS.

Cook says that he does spend time on the Mac but spends 80% of his time on the iPad. "And of course" Cook says, "I have [my iPhone] with me all the time."

Cook also shares that he gets many emails from customers and loves it because "they talk to you as if you're sitting at their kitchen table." He does share that he sometimes "gets an earful" from dissatisfied customers.

Article Link: Tim Cook: I've Given Up Physical Keyboards, Use iPad "80% of the Time"

maxwelltech

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
Irvine, CA, USA
The virtual keyboard on the iPad is decent, but I feel a lot more productive when working on a physical keyboard. There is no way I can type an 1000 word essay on an iPad :D
By the way, I hated the auto-correcting feature on my iPhone and iPad.

Last edited:

superhrixenz

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2012
Waiting for Apple to make this.

e722_cube_laser_virtual_keyboard_for_iphone_inuse.jpg

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Sure - virtual keyboards are fine for web browsing and the odd email - but dont go overboard - anything else and they are PITA, especially for touch typists. Firstly they need tactile feedback. On a physical keyboard I know if I've typed the wrong letter - cant do that on iPad without looking.

Last edited:

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Oh lord, I can imagine the attitude people on here would take if Steve had said this...

"Physical keyboards are dead!!"

nickpro

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2007
Bay Area
its shocking how many people i know that can't properly type on iPhone keyboards because they don't "trust it" and let it autocorrect in order to type quickly. apple should really consider building in some kind of tutorial.

bobbytallant

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2010
The virtual keyboard on the iPad is decent, but I feel a lot more productive when working on a physical keyboard. There is no way I can type an 500 word essay on an iPad :D
By the way, I hated the auto-correcting feature on my iPhone and iPad.

Wow a 500 word essay? Is that the demands of the US education system today :eek:

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
80% of Everything is

So Tim spends 20% of his screen time doing heavy typing? Get that man a secretary!

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008
Let the paranoid rumors based on misinterpretation begin. I'll start:

WTF? Tim is saying that the iPad and iPhone are fine for 80% of what users need to do? This is a sure sign that Apple plans to discontinue its Mac line, except for maybe one model, which no doubt will start at $3,000. Greedy bas***ds! Apple is doomed. I'm switching back to Windows PCs before it's too late!

[Obligatory ;) emoticon for people who don't read my opening line and think I'm serious]

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Its all about learning to trust auto-correct. It fixes things most of the time. Just have to keep typing and let it do it's thing. It's MUCH slower to go back and correct your mistakes. Even if it doesn't correct them, it's still quicker to tap the word when you're done and choose the correct spelling than going back and fixing it at the time. People are always amazed when I bang out +70 words a minute on my iPhone or iPad. Once you get use to it, it's just as fast as on a physical keyboard.

BornAgainApple

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Massachusetts
Let the paranoid rumors based on misinterpretation begin. I'll start:

WTF? Tim is saying that the iPad and iPhone are fine for 80% of what users need to do? This is a sure sign that Apple plans to discontinue its Mac line, except for maybe one model, which no doubt will start at $3,000. Greedy bas***ds! Apple is doomed. I'm switching back to Windows PCs before it's too late!

[Obligatory ;) emoticon for people who don't read my opening line and think I'm serious]

At least that Mac "might" be made in the USA ;)

UpOver

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2012
Top of the world..
I haven't

Guess it all depends on what you want to achieve. Virtual keyboards such as those on iPad and iPhone are great for web surfing or quick emails and other simple tasks. But try content creation like coding or writing a paper. Then, as others have already mentioned, the larger size and tactile feedback aspects of keyboards make a big difference to productivity. For those of us who sit in front of computers a large portion of the day physical keyboards aren't about to go away.

May 8, 2008
He suggests that Brian Williams should stick with it and trust the autocorrect feature in iOS.

After viewing the clip, I think it's pretty apparent that Brian Williams was speaking on behalf of a larger audience and not himself. To indicate that Mr. Williams asked for any sort of personal assistance or tips is rather misleading, IMO.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Tim is everywhere lately.

I just saw a story about Apple moving Mac production back to America on ABC News.

And he will be on NBC with the Brian Williams tonight.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
He probably still has a secretary to type his e-mails on a computer that's why 80% share for iPad sounds reasonable. Otherwise, if I was AAPL shareholder I would be really concerned that "my" CEO is not using the most productive available tools for the job (which is a desktop computer - when in the office - and a laptop - on the go)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.