Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Dec 6, 2012, 05:44 PM   #1
Ph17
macrumors newbie

mac air superdrive with the imac?

Does anyone know whether a mac air superdrive will work with the new 2012 imac?
Ph17 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 06:03 PM   #2
DaveWonders
macrumors member

It works with any Mac...and I'd guess it would work with some PCs.

I guess people think that it's tied with the MBA because that was the first Mac to drop the optical drive.
DaveWonders is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 07:36 PM   #3
mmomega
macrumors Demi-God

It definitely will but IMHO I'd go with an external bluray drive.

I did and it is much much quicker at burning and ripping discs than the SuperDrive.
3x AEBS 802.11ac, JetStream Gigabit, 5x AppleTV
mmomega is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 07:57 PM   #4
hfg
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWonders View Post
It works with any Mac...and I'd guess it would work with some PCs.

I guess people think that it's tied with the MBA because that was the first Mac to drop the optical drive.
Actually, the Apple USB SuperDrive is not guaranteed to work with all Macs! It draws more current from the USB port and may overload a standard USB spec port (500ma) and shut down. Certain Mac computers (rMBP, Air, Mini) are designed with a higher-than-normal current available from their USB port to support this drive. This has been an issue in the past with trying to use this drive for computers with a failed internal optical drive, including older iMacs.

It is listed as an "accessory" for the new iMacs, but not listed as compatible under the SuperDrive specs. Perhaps they are coming out with a new one, or just the specs haven't been corrected? It also may be that a USB-3 port (900ma) will supply the required power.

From the Apple specs:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD...de=5f#overview

System Requirements

MacBook Pro with Retina display
MacBook Air computer
Mac mini computer

There are several brands of external optical drives designed for the Netbook market which will also work with your Mac and are available for around $30.
Some come with dual USB plugs for additional power, but the ones I have tried worked with a single USB connection on my Macs.

Last edited by hfg; Dec 6, 2012 at 08:09 PM.
hfg is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 09:36 AM   #5
DaveWonders
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfg View Post
Actually, the Apple USB SuperDrive is not guaranteed to work with all Macs! It draws more current from the USB port and may overload a standard USB spec port (500ma) and shut down. Certain Mac computers (rMBP, Air, Mini) are designed with a higher-than-normal current available from their USB port to support this drive. This has been an issue in the past with trying to use this drive for computers with a failed internal optical drive, including older iMacs.

It is listed as an "accessory" for the new iMacs, but not listed as compatible under the SuperDrive specs. Perhaps they are coming out with a new one, or just the specs haven't been corrected? It also may be that a USB-3 port (900ma) will supply the required power.

From the Apple specs:

System Requirements

MacBook Air computer
Mac mini computer

There are several brands of external optical drives designed for the Netbook market which will also work with your Mac and are available for around $30.
Some come with dual USB plugs for additional power, but the ones I have tried worked with a single USB connection on my Macs.
You learn something everyday...thanks for the heads up.

I guess the take away is to look elsewhere for something cheaper or spend a little more and get blu-ray.
DaveWonders is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 09:56 AM   #6
FuriousGreg
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWonders View Post
I guess the take away is to look elsewhere for something cheaper or spend a little more and get blu-ray.
It's the power requirement thats the issue not the brand.

The likely reason iMac isn't listed is because all iMacs up to now have had Superdrives and the page hasn't been updated yet.
FuriousGreg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 10:26 AM   #7
KhrisGarcia
macrumors member

I would imagine that it works out of the box with the new iMacs. In any case the SuperDrive will work with most Macs by editing your plist and adding the mbasd=1 string. It works with my 2011 17" MBP and lets me utilize Boot Camp Assistant where my external LG drive wouldn't. Also plays DVD movies nativity with QuickTime.
KhrisGarcia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:23 AM   #8
Lukkee24
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfg View Post

From the Apple specs:

System Requirements

MacBook Air computer
Mac mini computer

Hmm I was wondering this. So I asked an Apple support person (live chat) yesterday, and they claimed that the SuperDrive that's in the Apple Store (online) will work with the new iMac, despite not being in the specs.
Lukkee24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:31 AM   #9
hfg
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukkee24 View Post
Hmm I was wondering this. So I asked an Apple support person (live chat) yesterday, and they claimed that the SuperDrive that's in the Apple Store (online) will work with the new iMac, despite not being in the specs.
I suspected as much too.

I have never seen the actual current drain listed for the USB SuperDrive other than that it was above the 500ma spec of USB-2. However, USB-3 specs at 900ma and I would hope that would be more than adequate for the USB SuperDrive. If so, then any of the new Macs with a USB-3 port could use it without a problem.
hfg is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:33 AM   #10
Lukkee24
macrumors 6502

The only thing I don't understand is that if it really is compatible, then why isn't it listed in the specs? All they have to put is 'Late 2012 iMac', not iMac (as that would imply all models).
Lukkee24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:51 AM   #11
iAppl3Fan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph17 View Post
Does anyone know whether a mac air superdrive will work with the new 2012 imac?
It will work. Apple just rebrand the packaging on the outside. Apple just enable a flag in a config file to allow usage of these drives and nothing more.
iAppl3Fan is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac