Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 7, 2012, 03:06 PM   #51
jrswizzle
macrumors 68040
 
jrswizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: McKinney, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime85 View Post
I never heard about them selling off towers but i do know they received a large amount from the fall through merger with ATT.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...4-billion.html

They sold the rights to 7,200 of their towers for $2.4B. Not a huge deal - they can always rent back and the money they get up front helps them roll out network enhancements and such.

It just seems a little desperate, which I suppose after the failed merger and the bigger guys getting bigger while they loose 1.5 million customers in 9 months, they should be desperate.
__________________
Apple: iPhone 5C, iPhone 5S
Android: Motorola Moto G
Windows: Nokia Lumia 520
Tablet: iPad mini retina, iPad Air
jrswizzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 03:07 PM   #52
Ungibbed
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: USA
Send a message via AIM to Ungibbed Send a message via Yahoo to Ungibbed
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstar002 View Post
What do you know... that actually worked!!! It took me 15 minutes to find the link on how to set up my email via the admin (I find their admin super confusing) but it works! Thank you! I called their tech support at least 5-6 times and NEVER had my email working since switching to prepaid which was over 6 months ago. I even talked to supervisors; I demanded to talk to one because nothing ever got resolved. Why didn't they just tell me to do it myself in the admin?

They just kept resending books and telling me to take out the battery and all this stuff that never did anything!! Maybe I'll keep this BB a bit longer now that it works...

Have to thank you again. You are more knowledgeable than the people that work there!
Most of the support staff have been working with Android and supporting the army of devices that T-Mobile carries. Even in sales they don't recommend the BlackBerry due to the current issues RIM is facing. So with so few end users on BlackBerry BIS service, it's nearly impossible to know the proper fix due to such low numbers in contrast with Android and even official iPhone support for customers.

Glad to help... :-)
__________________
13" MacBook Pro late 2010 (2.4 Ghz C2D, 750GB 7200RPM HDD, 8GB RAM) 27" ACD 64GB iPad 2 WiFi 120GB AppleTV, 32GB iPhone 5 T-Mobile
Ungibbed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 03:15 PM   #53
Prime85
macrumors 6502a
 
Prime85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrswizzle View Post
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...4-billion.html

They sold the rights to 7,200 of their towers for $2.4B. Not a huge deal - they can always rent back and the money they get up front helps them roll out network enhancements and such.

It just seems a little desperate, which I suppose after the failed merger and the bigger guys getting bigger while they loose 1.5 million customers in 9 months, they should be desperate.
Well i hope they do improve their network because it wont only benefit their customers but customers from every carrier due to increased competition.
__________________
iPhone 5 (White 64GB) ; MBP 2.2Ghz i7 Quad-core,16GB RAM, 512GB Samsung SSD; TV 3
Prime85 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 03:34 PM   #54
satchow
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
T-Mobile - 3 Lines, Unlimited Voice/Text, 5GB Data + Hotspot
$199.99

AT&T - 3 Lines, Unlimited Voice/Text, 6GB Data + Hotspot
$195.00

What am I missing? I'm sure you can configure a plan that's cheaper on T-Mobile, but is it worth saving a few dollars for a much worse network?
__________________
13.3" MacBook Air, 1.7 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD
satchow is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 03:35 PM   #55
macher
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Everyone I know on T-Mobile drops calls 'like no tomorrow'. However T-Mobile data speeds are impressive in Philly.

I don't mind paying for 'premium' service.
macher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 03:50 PM   #56
Jades
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
I think tmobile is going to charge $500 for the iPhone like virgin mobile and that other prepaid carrier does. Much easier to shell out vs $500, and the "return on investment" is a few months quicker
There is no way they can charge $650 for an iPhone and expect to draw attention to their network. That's why they lost millions of customers the last few years. After all, those customers did have an option to shell out $700
Jades is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 04:08 PM   #57
jrasero
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMJB0188 View Post
AT&T has enjoyed being the dominant GSM carrier in the US for way too long. Verizon and Sprint don't even count because of their limited technology. T-Mobile can finally bring out all the beauty in the GSM version. Once they're re farmed they will have such a better network than AT&T.

*LTE Advanced, with HSPA+ 42 to fall back on. (AT&T currently maxes their HSPA+ network out at 21mbps which is VERY congested. The iPhone 5 supports DC HSPA+.

*Simultaneous voice and data the RIGHT WAY. AT&T currently throttles speeds during calls with very high pings. T-Mobile DOES NOT, and one can surf the web and talk the way it was suppose to be. Research this if you don't believe me.

*TRULY unlimited data with no overages, no throttling, or metering.

*Cheaper monthly service which benefits those who like to pay full price right away.

*Visual Voicemail for T-Mobile

Yeah that's just a few. I for one can't wait to ditch AT&T and hop on T-Mobile very soon with my unlocked iPhone 5.


What are you high! I guess T-Mobile announcing they will carry Apple in 2013 has got you revved up, but your forgetting a few things. T-Mobile will be able to sell Apple products put they will be selling them at full price, $650, $750, $850. Okay so maybe you are willing to buy a phone full price, hell I did on Verizon for the iPhone 5, but remember this as well, T-Mobile doesn't have LTE. T-Mobile is creating it as we speak but it will be leagues behind Verizon and AT&T and even Sprint. Third, this unlimited un throttled bandwidth your talking about with T-Mobile will most defiantly end when 4G (Real LTE) comes to T-Mobile.

I don't want to bash T-Mobile since there plans are reasonable and they have better customer service than some places but lets be realistic
jrasero is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 04:24 PM   #58
Prime85
macrumors 6502a
 
Prime85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrasero View Post
What are you high! I guess T-Mobile announcing they will carry Apple in 2013 has got you revved up, but your forgetting a few things. T-Mobile will be able to sell Apple products put they will be selling them at full price, $650, $750, $850. Okay so maybe you are willing to buy a phone full price, hell I did on Verizon for the iPhone 5, but remember this as well, T-Mobile doesn't have LTE. T-Mobile is creating it as we speak but it will be leagues behind Verizon and AT&T and even Sprint. Third, this unlimited un throttled bandwidth your talking about with T-Mobile will most defiantly end when 4G (Real LTE) comes to T-Mobile.

I don't want to bash T-Mobile since there plans are reasonable and they have better customer service than some places but lets be realistic
When t-mobiles LTE comes out it won't be leagues behind since it will be the first carrier to have LTE-advanced but I am sure it will be only in the major markets at the beginning just like their 3G for iPhone is now

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchow View Post
T-Mobile - 3 Lines, Unlimited Voice/Text, 5GB Data + Hotspot
$199.99

AT&T - 3 Lines, Unlimited Voice/Text, 6GB Data + Hotspot
$195.00

What am I missing? I'm sure you can configure a plan that's cheaper on T-Mobile, but is it worth saving a few dollars for a much worse network?
I am currently paying $135 for 3 lines with unlimited talk,text, and data. I'm not sure what plans you are looking at
Prime85 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 04:37 PM   #59
cnguyen0320
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMJB0188 View Post
You continue to let AT&T rape you!!! I won't. If that means being on EDGE occasionally, then SO BE IT!!!

They will improve coverage with their recent merger with Metro PCS.
You should look up the definition of rape. And then calm down
cnguyen0320 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 04:48 PM   #60
BlueMoonForever
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnguyen0320 View Post
You should look up the definition of rape. And then calm down
I think he was being sarcastic haha. Anyway, I agree with the OP, and I hope T-mobile can dominate the market once they get the iPhone.

They seem to be on the right track.
BlueMoonForever is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 04:52 PM   #61
youCANTstopME
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMJB0188 View Post
AT&T has enjoyed being the dominant GSM carrier in the US for way too long. Verizon and Sprint don't even count because of their limited technology. T-Mobile can finally bring out all the beauty in the GSM version. Once they're re farmed they will have such a better network than AT&T.

*LTE Advanced, with HSPA+ 42 to fall back on. (AT&T currently maxes their HSPA+ network out at 21mbps which is VERY congested. The iPhone 5 supports DC HSPA+.

*Simultaneous voice and data the RIGHT WAY. AT&T currently throttles speeds during calls with very high pings. T-Mobile DOES NOT, and one can surf the web and talk the way it was suppose to be. Research this if you don't believe me.

*TRULY unlimited data with no overages, no throttling, or metering.

*Cheaper monthly service which benefits those who like to pay full price right away.

*Visual Voicemail for T-Mobile

Yeah that's just a few. I for one can't wait to ditch AT&T and hop on T-Mobile very soon with my unlocked iPhone 5.
the first t-mobile fanboy i have met on here.

#tmobileFTW
youCANTstopME is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 05:05 PM   #62
617aircav
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymaster50 View Post
But tmobile doing away with subsidies will be their undoing. Not a lot of people can pay $700 up front.
A lot of people are doing it on virgin, cricket etc. your monthly plan will be a lot cheaper.
617aircav is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 07:38 PM   #63
Mr Hill
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by satchow View Post
T-Mobile - 3 Lines, Unlimited Voice/Text, 5GB Data + Hotspot
$199.99

AT&T - 3 Lines, Unlimited Voice/Text, 6GB Data + Hotspot
$195.00

What am I missing? I'm sure you can configure a plan that's cheaper on T-Mobile, but is it worth saving a few dollars for a much worse network?
Are you comparing SHARED 6GB of data with 5GB of data PER LINE on T-Mobile? The reason those prices are close is because it's a difference of 9GB of allowed data. If you compare a 3 line plan with 6GB of T-Mobile data then the plan price is only around $135. That's a pretty large difference over 2 years.

Plus who wants to constantly watch how much data everyone on their account is using or risk $15 overages.

There's a significant gap in the average cost of a T-Mobile plan compared with AT&T no matter which way you slice it.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymaster50 View Post
But tmobile doing away with subsidies will be their undoing. Not a lot of people can pay $700 up front.
You don't pay $700 upfront. If it was like that people would just go buy the phones straight from Apple rather than T-Mobile.

Their Value Plan model is based on you paying a "down payment" upfront and the rest of the phone price is rolled into your monthly bill for 20 months until it is paid off. Then your bill will drop by $20. The advantage to this is that the other 3 carriers roll the price of the "subsidized" phone into your bill but even after you have completed your contract and paid off the phone, your bill will remain high regardless. Added bonus is that T-Mobile still offers unlimited data while the big two charge more for service as well as charge overages for data usage.

For example:
Currently the Galaxy S3 is $149 upfront, then $20 per month for 20 months. After the 20 months that $20 falls off your bill bringing an unlimited everything plan down to being only $70 per month. Factoring in the $20, it would be $90 for those first 20 months.

A Galaxy S3 on Verizon/AT&T is $200 upfront but your bill will remain $100+ even after you have repaid the price of the phone several times over. No matter whether you've had it for 2 years or 4 years your bill never drops.

Honestly unless T-Mobile has poor coverage in your area or 2G only, there's really no other reason to choose any of the other 3 carriers once they finally get the iPhone.
Mr Hill is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 08:26 PM   #64
jstar002
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
How are Tmobile speeds right now in L.A? So the best place to buy a phone for use with Tmobile is just from Apple direct?
jstar002 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 08:35 PM   #65
BlueMoonForever
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Guys lets face it. The only reason AT&T has such a wide/complete network is because they've had the iPhone since day 1. This has brought them so much revenue to continue to build out that network.

Imagine if T-Mobile would have gotten the iPhone from day 1.
BlueMoonForever is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 09:12 PM   #66
lancia832
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebuano1976 View Post
I am on T-Mobile. 3 iPhones with Unlimited Data, 1 iPhone with 200 MB Data, Unlimited Minutes ad Texts for $115. That's just totally unbeatable. I'm on WIFI approx 18-20 hrs/day so I'm not willing to pay $100 more for services I rarely use.
Hello! CebuAno ,please can you tell us more about that plan ,it seems to good to be true ,whats the name of the plan? ,and how exactely can i get it , so basicaly 4 phones with internet plans for 115 $ , is that altogether ,or for a single phone ? If its for 4 phones i want to get on that plan , can you help us all get onto that plan please .Thank you ! If you can reply with the info.
lancia832 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 09:29 PM   #67
lancia832
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime85 View Post
When t-mobiles LTE comes out it won't be leagues behind since it will be the first carrier to have LTE-advanced but I am sure it will be only in the major markets at the beginning just like their 3G for iPhone is now

----------



I am currently paying $135 for 3 lines with unlimited talk,text, and data. I'm not sure what plans you are looking at
Hello! I am always hearing abiut those cheap plans you guys are telling us but when i go on tmobile site i can not find it , can you please point us to those cheap plans , i would like to get onto that ,whats the name of that plan specificaly so i can find it on tmobile site ? Thank you ! If you can help us with t,he info .
lancia832 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 10:05 PM   #68
1rottenapple
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Unlimited? I'm on my way! I rarely talk on the phone to care about coverage issues.
__________________
13 retina haswell 8gb 512 ssd, iPhone 5c blue, ipad mini retina 16gb tmobile
1rottenapple is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 10:13 PM   #69
Baggio
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1rottenapple View Post
Unlimited? I'm on my way! I rarely talk on the phone to care about coverage issues.
Coverage affects data as well.
Baggio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:11 PM   #70
1rottenapple
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggio View Post
Coverage affects data as well.

Nah i know I'd be happy with tmobile. I had them with my unlocked iPhone for three yrs when I was in grad school and I was happy. Hell, I got the AT&T iPhone cause I got tired of unlocking phones. I've been hit with data overages at $10 a pop at least 5 times in the past 2 yrs with AT&T, and there's nothing that's hurts more than paying an extra $10 when I went 20mb over my 2gig limit. That's sucks. I'd love to get sprint but they're too slow. At least hsdpa with tmobile is decent.
__________________
13 retina haswell 8gb 512 ssd, iPhone 5c blue, ipad mini retina 16gb tmobile
1rottenapple is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:33 PM   #71
Prime85
macrumors 6502a
 
Prime85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancia832 View Post
Hello! I am always hearing abiut those cheap plans you guys are telling us but when i go on tmobile site i can not find it , can you please point us to those cheap plans , i would like to get onto that ,whats the name of that plan specificaly so i can find it on tmobile site ? Thank you ! If you can help us with t,he info .
Look for the sim only plan.
Prime85 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:48 PM   #72
sharkmok
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancia832 View Post
Hello! I am always hearing abiut those cheap plans you guys are telling us but when i go on tmobile site i can not find it , can you please point us to those cheap plans , i would like to get onto that ,whats the name of that plan specificaly so i can find it on tmobile site ? Thank you ! If you can help us with t,he info .
Value plan: http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/Package...ePackages.aspx
One of the best thing about value plan is that there is NO data requirement for ANY phone. You can add/drop/change the data option monthly. You paid full price for ANY phone and there is still a 2 year contract.
sharkmok is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 05:51 AM   #73
jstar002
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkmok View Post
Value plan: http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/Package...ePackages.aspx
One of the best thing about value plan is that there is NO data requirement for ANY phone. You can add/drop/change the data option monthly. You paid full price for ANY phone and there is still a 2 year contract.
Whats the difference between value plan and prepaid here?
http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-plans
jstar002 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 09:39 AM   #74
AutoUnion39
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMoonForever View Post
Guys lets face it. The only reason AT&T has such a wide/complete network is because they've had the iPhone since day 1. This has brought them so much revenue to continue to build out that network.

Imagine if T-Mobile would have gotten the iPhone from day 1.
What are you talking about? Even before the iPhone, AT&T and VZW were NATIONAL carriers and had coverage everywhere. Their networks only improved after smartphones/iPhone started making them more money. Saying that they built out their network because of profits from iPhone shows how clueless you are.
AutoUnion39 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 05:55 PM   #75
Spectrum Abuser
macrumors 65816
 
Spectrum Abuser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMoonForever View Post
Guys lets face it. The only reason AT&T has such a wide/complete network is because they've had the iPhone since day 1. This has brought them so much revenue to continue to build out that network.

Imagine if T-Mobile would have gotten the iPhone from day 1.
I want to clear up that misconception. The iPhone is the most expesnive phone in AT&Ts lineup. It costs them much more when someone purchases an iPhone compared to say a Samsung Galaxy model. What's brining in the gross profits for AT&T and other carriers alike is the data services.
__________________
iPad Mini Retina 16GB WiFi - iPhone 3G 8GB (AT&T) - 21.5" iMac 2.5Ghz i5 (2011)
Spectrum Abuser is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:56 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC