Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 7, 2012, 01:11 AM   #1
greenbreadmmm
macrumors regular

Any downside to using 4G over LTE if its faster?

First off just got my new iphone 5 today and I love it. This thing is so fast at everything it does. There was a small scuff on the side but how can you complain when you put a case on it anyways.

My question is here in Chicago I am pulling around 4-9 mbps down and 5-7 up on LTE. This is not very good. So i decided to turn off LTE and try out the 4G network. I was pulling 9-10 down and 2 up.

So I guess my question is besides having a better upload speed, is there any real reason to use the slower LTE over the 4G network? Battery life, or anything along those lines?

Thanks all.
greenbreadmmm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 01:46 AM   #2
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbreadmmm View Post
First off just got my new iphone 5 today and I love it. This thing is so fast at everything it does. There was a small scuff on the side but how can you complain when you put a case on it anyways.

My question is here in Chicago I am pulling around 4-9 mbps down and 5-7 up on LTE. This is not very good. So i decided to turn off LTE and try out the 4G network. I was pulling 9-10 down and 2 up.

So I guess my question is besides having a better upload speed, is there any real reason to use the slower LTE over the 4G network? Battery life, or anything along those lines?

Thanks all.
If those are indeed the speeds you are experiencing, just stay on the 4G network. 9-10 download speeds are pretty decent, should be able to carry you through your daily usage without any lag or problems.

Maybe you'd see an increase in battery life, but it will be very slight. No fuss in this aspect.
Beeplance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 02:09 AM   #3
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

it's the same thing man, once you're over 3mbps it just becomes a number if you're doing basic activities (browsing, instagram,twitter,facebook, etc...)
tymaster50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 02:18 AM   #4
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymaster50 View Post
it's the same thing man, once you're over 3mbps it just becomes a number if you're doing basic activities (browsing, instagram,twitter,facebook, etc...)
Lol I thought it needs around 5mbps or something. I could live with 3G my whole life if I get this kind of speeds.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 09:05 AM   #5
sviato
macrumors 68020

The downside may be that you've been successfully convinced that hspa+ is "4G"
sviato is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 09:10 AM   #6
PDFierro
macrumors 68030

Quote:

Thanks all.
4G and LTE is the same thing. If you're on a network like AT&T, then they advertise HSPA+ as being 4G, but it's actually like 3.5G.
PDFierro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:44 AM   #7
macher
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeplance View Post
Lol I thought it needs around 5mbps or something. I could live with 3G my whole life if I get this kind of speeds.
You can perform most applications with a consistent 1-2 Mbps down and up.
macher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 12:07 PM   #8
Flyer729
macrumors newbie

I'm getting 20+ Mbps here in Denver and around 5 Mbps when on HSPA+. I use LTE all the time because it loads everything so fast, but with HSPA being around 5, I wouldn't mind using that all the time to get better battery life.
Flyer729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 04:00 PM   #9
greenbreadmmm
macrumors regular

well oddly enough I am getting better results in the middle of the day. Now pulling 13 down on LTE and only 2 on 4g.... so strange
greenbreadmmm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 09:37 PM   #10
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

Quote:
well oddly enough I am getting better results in the middle of the day. Now pulling 13 down on LTE and only 2 on 4g.... so strange
Have to do with how much web traffic there is at that time. If its very congested and there are many users, naturally it'll be slightly slower.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone