Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:52 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Begins Running iPad Mini 'Piano' TV Ad

With the launch of the iPad mini today, Apple has started running a new television ad for the device that it showed off during the media event last week.

The ad -- entitled 'Piano' -- doesn't have any voiceover; instead, it shows GarageBand running on the full-size iPad playing one hand of the two-hand duet from 'Heart and Soul'. The song is an easy-to-learn piece popular with beginner pianists. Moments later, the iPad mini appears, playing the second part of the duet.

Article Link: Apple Begins Running iPad Mini 'Piano' TV Ad
MacRumors is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:54 PM   #2
QCassidy352
macrumors G3

Very simple and cute. I like it.
QCassidy352 is offline   49 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:55 PM   #3
scotty321
macrumors regular

This is, hands down, one of Apple's best ads ever.

Love it!!!
scotty321 is offline   75 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:56 PM   #4
hobo.hopkins
macrumors 6502a

It's definitely a cute advert; I like it a lot more than the Retina MacBook Pro commercials of late.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:57 PM   #5
fun173
macrumors Demi-God

I just saw this on T.V. and could not stop smiling. I think it's a great ad. Very ummm, cute I guess..
fun173 is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:57 PM   #6
ALCRON
macrumors newbie

Send a message via Skype™ to ALCRON
Woop! Now I don't have to play the keynote to watch it...
ALCRON is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 12:02 AM   #7
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Love that little ad; without words, it says it all!
macs4nw is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 12:02 AM   #8
Blackberryroid
Banned

If I was someone who didn't know what an iPad does, this video makes me think that the iPad is a $329 digital piano.
Blackberryroid is offline   23 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 12:05 AM   #9
dethmaShine
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackberryroid View Post
If I was someone who didn't know what an iPad does, this video makes me think that the iPad is a $329 digital piano.
Everybody knows about the iPad. Apple is exploiting that idea and trying to show something about it.

Moreover, where is that digital piano with a touchscreen on it known as iPad made by Apple?

Everybody is familiar with Apple; and they are just using it to their advantage.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 12:07 AM   #10
MACis122
macrumors regular

Great (sarcasm)
MACis122 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 12:07 AM   #11
Technarchy
macrumors 68040

Better than that tragic Surface "click" commercial.
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is offline   28 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 12:12 AM   #12
Blackberryroid
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dethmaShine View Post
Everybody knows about the iPad. Apple is exploiting that idea and trying to show something about it.

Moreover, where is that digital piano with a touchscreen on it known as iPad made by Apple?

Everybody is familiar with Apple; and they are just using it to their advantage.
Then why advertise? If someone knows what an iPad is, I'm pretty sure that someone is familiar with apps. And apps means a lot of things. Including digital piano.

That means that this video is targeted to people who doesn't know what an iPad is. And with the video, I'd think that it's a digital piano.

Good work advertising, Apple. Instead of showing the key features of the iPad, making it look like a digital piano is more important. The digital piano isn't even a built in app.
Blackberryroid is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 12:16 AM   #13
Branskins
macrumors 6502a

I actually think this commercial is pretty amazing. Great tune and great overall message too. It almost seems like the iPad is moving over for the iPad mini
Branskins is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 12:20 AM   #14
futbalguy
macrumors regular

Quote:
Then why advertise? If someone knows what an iPad is, I'm pretty sure that someone is familiar with apps. And apps means a lot of things. Including digital piano.

That means that this video is targeted to people who doesn't know what an iPad is. And with the video, I'd think that it's a digital piano.

Good work advertising, Apple. Instead of showing the key features of the iPad, making it look like a digital piano is more important. The digital piano isn't even a built in app.
Im not sure you understand the point of the ad... It is to show the iPad mini doing the same thing as the iPad and do it in a very cute way. I think it is phenomenal.
futbalguy is offline   52 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 12:23 AM   #15
pennysmythe
macrumors newbie

So it wishes it was big?
pennysmythe is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 12:28 AM   #16
MikeyMike01
macrumors regular

Quote:
Then why advertise?
Tell that to Coke.
MikeyMike01 is online now   43 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 12:29 AM   #17
Windlasher
macrumors regular

Quote:
EVERYone knows what the IPad does.
Windlasher is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 12:34 AM   #18
Blackberryroid
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by futbalguy View Post
Im not sure you understand the point of the ad... It is to show the iPad mini doing the same thing as the iPad and do it in a very cute way. I think it is phenomenal.
Then show more apps! Of course the keyboard application will stay the same for even a smaller screen, how can you redesign it?

Then that leads me to a confusion where I have no idea if the iPad mini does exactly the same thing as the large iPad.

If they showed more apps, I'll be more certain that it does exactly the same thing.
Blackberryroid is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 12:49 AM   #19
Mak47
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Then show more apps! Of course the keyboard application will stay the same for even a smaller screen, how can you redesign it?

Then that leads me to a confusion where I have no idea if the iPad mini does exactly the same thing as the large iPad.

If they showed more apps, I'll be more certain that it does exactly the same thing.
Everyone is missing the point. Everybody knows what an iPad is and does, not everyone knows there's now a mini version.

The ad is designed to tell the 99% of the population that don't read tech news that the iPad mini exists. That's it, and it does it well.
Mak47 is offline   29 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 12:49 AM   #20
Newton70
macrumors regular

Quote:
I'm curious, what color is the sky in your world?
Newton70 is offline   28 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 12:50 AM   #21
komodrone
Banned

Quote:
Then why advertise?
just because everyone knows about the iPad doesn't mean they know about the iPad mini. I had to tell my mom today about the iPad mini and she said "Oh, so it's just an iPad but smaller?"
komodrone is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 12:51 AM   #22
kavlo26
macrumors member

I pulled out my iPad and tried to learn those notes! Pretty darn fun. Great ad.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 12:55 AM   #23
Sweetchilli
macrumors newbie

Quote:

??? are you living in the bizzaro world ?
everyone knows what an iPad does, there showing both doing the same thing, hence... a smaller version that does the same thing, couldnt be more simple.

Best ad they have done in ages!
Sweetchilli is offline   20 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 01:01 AM   #24
faroZ06
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post
This is, hands down, one of Apple's best ads ever.

Love it!!!
What?? Haven't you seen the 1984 ad? That ad was so good that it deserved a spot in my signature.

----------

I don't like it. The fingers look too animated/fake. I'm pretty sure it's just a green screen effect, and they didn't do a very good job of hiding it. It looks totally fake.

By the way, you can connect Bluetooth and wired keyboards to iPads. Can you use them in Garageband for iOS the same way you can use them in Garageband for Mac, as a musical keyboard?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetchilli View Post
??? are you living in the bizzaro world ?
everyone knows what an iPad does, there showing both doing the same thing, hence... a smaller version that does the same thing, couldnt be more simple.

Best ad they have done in ages!
No. Trust me, not everyone does. I went to an Apple store once and saw a lady poking Safari on the dock of an iMac, complaining that the computer was not loading it. Seriously, she wasn't kidding.

Last edited by faroZ06; Nov 3, 2012 at 01:07 AM.
faroZ06 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 01:01 AM   #25
Love
macrumors 68000

Aside from the fact that Heart and Soul makes me want to jump out the window of my 15th storey flat, I loved this ad. Adorable.
Love is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion