Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 7, 2007
Found this site last night:

http://dreamjb.com

The guy's claiming he will release an iOS 6 untethered jailbreak solution on December 22nd. He has no affiliation with any existing Dev Teams.

What do you think? Real, or too good to be true? :confused:

Subjugator

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2010
Probably fake but there's no reason someone else with the skills to jailbreak can't release one. If on the 22nd he's charging $ for it I would hold off as it is probably a scam. No harm in waiting and seeing like we are already doing anyway...

ProudLoz

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
Man I hope it's legit! Even if it is, we'll still need to wait around until some of the tweaks from Cydia are updated to iOS 6 or be iPhone 5 compatible.

Subjugator

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2010
I agree. However if I spent all my free time working on something I knew many people wanted I may be tempted to charge a few bucks for it....just saying. A lot of the tweaks are updated for Ios 6, just not ip5

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Also consider 12/22/12 is the day AFTER the world is supposed to end.....

Probably just an attention-"lady of the night".

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Fake until proven real. Sorry, but with all the fakers, it's gotta be this way.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
If he already has one why wait till Dec,22 seeks attention is my guess. Also on the other hand what about 6.0.1 or why not wait till 6.1. Again seeks attention he won't get mine.

Subjugator

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2010
If he already has one why wait till Dec,22 seeks attention is my guess. Also on the other hand what about 6.0.1 or why not wait till 6.1. Again seeks attention he won't get mine.

lol. How much attention do you have to give. Come here on the 22nd and see if its real. Takes 20 seconds. If its real awesome. If not, oh well your still sitting there waiting and checking here anyway to see if someone else released a jailbreak...

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
lol. How much attention do you have to give. Come here on the 22nd and see if its real. Takes 20 seconds. If its real awesome. If not, oh well your still sitting there waiting and checking here anyway to see if someone else released a jailbreak...

Are you kidding?

Were you not around for the three trolls responsible for this

Just one of many fakes that is responsible for why no one believes these people.

Subjugator

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2010
Are you kidding?

Were you not around for the three trolls responsible for this

Just one of many fakes that is responsible for why no one believes these people.

Am I kidding about what? My first sentence was "this is probably fake". But how much attention/ effort does it take to come back to this forum (something you do anyway) on the 22nd and see IF he is legit or not? You may be pleasantly surprised. And if not your still waiting for a jailbreak from anyone else anyway. It's not like your skipping up on another 6.0 jailbreak to check on this one when it "comes out". Or doesn't :)

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
The twitter account says:
Hi folks, the jailbreak is userland, and not a bootrom level exploit. I don't predict a bootrom exploit happening for a very long time.

So if it is a userland jb, then the thing wouldn't be untethered like the hacker states for newer devices AFAIK and also no aTV support makes it even more funky.

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Oct 7, 2010
He probably expects the world to end on Dec 21 so has nothing to lose with this.

EDIT: he says he will provide proof next week so we will see what the pros have to say about it.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
The twitter account says:
Hi folks, the jailbreak is userland, and not a bootrom level exploit. I don't predict a bootrom exploit happening for a very long time.

So if it is a userland jb, then the thing wouldn't be untethered like the hacker states for newer devices AFAIK and also no aTV support makes it even more funky.

Wrong. Userland and bootrom exploits can both provide jailbreaks, tethered and untethered.

We don't know about Apple TV support, but given there hasn't been jailbreak support for most recent devices, I'd say it's unlikely ... if this is even a real jailbreak.

He probably expects the world to end on Dec 21 so has nothing to lose with this.

EDIT: he says he will provide proof next week so we will see what the pros have to say about it.

Yea. Faking proof is even more entertaining than faking a jailbreak.

I won't believe it unless it's released by the people who usually make the Untethered Jailbreaks.

Agreed.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Wrong. Userland and bootrom exploits can both provide jailbreaks, tethered and untethered.

We don't know about Apple TV support, but given there hasn't been jailbreak support for most recent devices, I'd say it's unlikely ... if this is even a real jailbreak.
I'm not saying that both cannot accomplish it, I'm saying there is no weakness found on newer devices to make them untethered.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
I'm not saying that both cannot accomplish it, I'm saying there is no weakness found on newer devices to make them untethered.

And you know this how? You're implying there can never be a jailbreak for newer ios devices, ever.

gngan

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld
I am amaze how people manage to come up with so many different site with latest JB. Is it that difficult to just look at the Dev team's site or member's twitter rather than coming up with a random site?

Last edited:

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
History might repeat itself, always possible that some new wizzkids pops up, usually with the first 'proof' you can tell if it is fake or not.

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
One thing I don't understand: what invalidates a guy from releasing a jailbreak? Why everyone thinks it always goes through the dev team? Look at geo-hot, he didn't need anyone...

I also think it's fake, but until proof of contrary one has to at least take a look at it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.