Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SSD-GUY

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
Interstellar
Hi Guys,

When running speedtest's through the speedtest app on my iPhone 5 and the speedtest website on the MacBook Air, the MacBook air always scores a higher speed. I have a 100Mbps Fibreoptic Virgin Media service at home using the Superhub set to work at 5GHz

The iPhone on average scores around 25-35mps whereas the MacBook air 2011 scores around 30-50mbps when they are both next to each other.

Even if I take the iPhone and place it on top/next to the router, it will still only get 40mbps whereas the MacBook will get 90.

Is the iPhone 5 faulty? Aren't the iPhone and MacBook meant to have comparable speeds as they are both 802.11n and use the 5GHz band? I thought the iPhone could achieve a maximum speed of 150mbps through Wifi? Please help, don't want to give this phone in until I have too as I'll get a refurb even though it's less than a month old!

Thanks,

SSD

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Hi Guys,

When running speedtest's through the speedtest app on my iPhone 5 and the speedtest website on the MacBook Air, the MacBook air always scores a higher speed. I have a 100Mbps Fibreoptic Virgin Media service at home using the Superhub set to work at 5GHz

The iPhone on average scores around 25-35mps whereas the MacBook air 2011 scores around 30-50mbps when they are both next to each other.

Even if I take the iPhone and place it on top/next to the router, it will still only get 40mbps whereas the MacBook will get 90.

Is the iPhone 5 faulty? Aren't the iPhone and MacBook meant to have comparable speeds as they are both 802.11n and use the 5GHz band? I thought the iPhone could achieve a maximum speed of 150mbps through Wifi? Please help, don't want to give this phone in until I have too as I'll get a refurb even though it's less than a month old!

Thanks,

SSD
Perfectly normal. Mobile device vs. a high-end laptop.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
My guess is, small phone, small portable device, they DESIGNED it with power conservation as top priority, hence = a lower powered WIFI radio. Don't go OCD man.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.