Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

buttercup

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2005
Vancouver
So. This is *partly* my fault. So many people on the boards are talking about how they decided to go with a magic trackpad instead of a mouse, that I thought I would see if I could change my order. I had a BTO 27" due to ship Jan 3-Jan 8th. Now I do not.

So I call in.

"Could you change my order without effecting my ship date?"

"...cause... I would like this done, but only if it won't effect my ship date as I understand I am in a queue..."

She puts me on hold, comes back and is like, yeah we can do that.. so I say go ahead.

On hold for a really long time...

..and yeah they screwed it up. They cancelled and resubmitted my order. Now I am one of the poor suckers without a shipdate, just a big fat "January". I talked to her manager who was the one who actually made the change and obviously the part about "do this, if and only if" was lost when they chatted. Her manager said she would try and escalate but I think I am hosed.

I could've just done this myself, why would I call in if this was what I wanted?

I am so sad... so very very sad...

Anyone have any suggestions?

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
I forgot to upgrade to the 680mx on my first order and had to cancel and re-order also. They cannot edit an order.

I don't understand why when it hasn't even been processed yet.

buttercup

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2005
Vancouver
Thats what I thought as well, which was why I asked. I am just frustrated that they didn't tell me that, in which case I would've just ordered myself a trackpad separately...

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
buttercup - you live in one of the most beautiful locations on the planet.

A delay in getting your iMac makes you so sad?

You could be living in Syria wondering if a Sarin gas shell is about to explode over your head and cause a horrible death.

You could have a diagnosis of terminal cancer.

Those are things to be so very very sad about....

eldho

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2011

You could be living in Syria wondering if a Sarin gas shell is about to explode over your head and cause a horrible death.

Of course worse things can and do happen, but it is still very frustrating when an order you are looking forward to is mucked up, and there is nothing wrong with expressing that frustration.

buttercup

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2005
Vancouver

No doubt. These are nothing but insignificant first-world problems.

But this is a forum about apple right?... full of mac geeks like myself who enjoy talking about relatively trivial things like the thinness of a bezel and what not? And we are all are here because we pay a premium for apple products, so this is the forum where I feel like voicing such opinions are appropriate.

This is also something I have been saving for - and waiting for - for a long time, and I was hoping it get it during the holidays so I could tackle a personal project I have been putting off, so yes it does make me disappointed and sad. Pretty sure I am entitled to my emotions.

...and yes, the purpose of the post was to emit frustrations, and it was basically a big fat whine, aimed at a group of people I thought could commiserate. Done now.

I am going to go whine to myself over a glass of wine now . :D

Overg

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2012
I look at your case differently.
It means that the first batch is over and the second batch is out, looking in the past of apple products , you don't want to be on the first batch.
Imagine that they probably sold something near 400k iMacs
Now you can be sure that your computer will be better built.

KaraH

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012
DC
Why the rush anyway? My current machine is basically screaming to be replaced but I plan to wait a few months. Let other people find the gotchas. Let Apple fix what needs to be tweaked. Let OWC figure out how to get their SSD in there so I can ship it directly to them from Apple. Let my holiday bills go away before a few thousand dollar charge.

Nandifix

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2012
I look at your case differently.
It means that the first batch is over and the second batch is out, looking in the past of apple products , you don't want to be on the first batch.
Imagine that they probably sold something near 400k iMacs
Now you can be sure that your computer will be better built.

Lol that's why you have a warranty.

WrrN

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2012
You go Buttercup! Whine all you want. You have a shoulder here to use any time you need.

Oh, and to the other poster, I grew up with bombs going off in public places, and this iMac issue is just as valid a reason to be sad.

search keywords: change order, modify, edit, delay, sucker, whine, wine, :(

TeeZee1000

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2010
Thats what I thought as well, which was why I asked. I am just frustrated that they didn't tell me that, in which case I would've just ordered myself a trackpad separately...

I just asked for a separate track pad while asking to have my BTO iMac expedited and they gave it to me (separate order to be delivered next week) ... I guess it depends on the CSR you get. but you shouldn't have had your order edited just for a trackpad.

Puevlo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011
Disgraceful. You can't let them get away with this. Someone needs to get fired for this now.

ericbreiter

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2012
Look at it from the bright side. Hopefully you bumped quite a few people ahead in the line that will put their new iMac to better use. This is how Apple's ordering system works. Learn from your mistake and move on.

Snoosedaddy

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2011
Colorado Springs
So. This is *partly* my fault. So many people on the boards are talking about how they decided to go with a magic trackpad instead of a mouse, that I thought I would see if I could change my order. I had a BTO 27" due to ship Jan 3-Jan 8th. Now I do not.

So I call in.

"Could you change my order without effecting my ship date?"

"...cause... I would like this done, but only if it won't effect my ship date as I understand I am in a queue..."

She puts me on hold, comes back and is like, yeah we can do that.. so I say go ahead.

On hold for a really long time...

..and yeah they screwed it up. They cancelled and resubmitted my order. Now I am one of the poor suckers without a shipdate, just a big fat "January". I talked to her manager who was the one who actually made the change and obviously the part about "do this, if and only if" was lost when they chatted. Her manager said she would try and escalate but I think I am hosed.

I could've just done this myself, why would I call in if this was what I wanted?

So excited, I just went from Dec 24-31 to Jan 2-8 ( I made a change to my order early on), and now back to Dec 24-31. Must be a lot of people changing orders.

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
You go Buttercup! Whine all you want. You have a shoulder here to use any time you need.

Oh, and to the other poster, I grew up with bombs going off in public places, and this iMac issue is just as valid a reason to be sad.

search keywords: change order, modify, edit, delay, sucker, whine, wine, :(

You are in need of professional help if you equate those two things.

Mystic386

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2011

1/ Wine is good.

2/ So is going shopping.

3/ On a more serious note... call them back. Explain the story, let them know how disappointed you are that you got bumped due to an Apple employee error. Ask if there is anyway they can talk to the Apple distribution gods because you had your heart set on this and to get bumped for an error is a hard pill to swallow. If you get no joy in delivery ask if they can comp*** you something to make up for error. In my experience they will.

*** Check what you'd like to get as a gift to ease the pain. Upgrade to bigger drive, ram, other apple product, apple TV, etc. Apple tend to look after their customers above and beyond. This is kind of like going shopping but you spend no money. Really the best kind of shopping.

Right now you got nothing. A phone call won't hurt. Lastly delayed to January probably won't see much of a delay. Apple usually deliver sooner.

Good luck.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
At the end of the day it's really nobody's fault but the OP's, 100%. Think completely about what you're about to order before pressing the ORDER button. If an order was already placed with a delayed ship time then it's the OP's risk having Apple change the order. It would only be Apple's fault if they messed around with the OP's order without his knowledge or if there was a glitch in the system and something happen that caused his order to drop out of the system. At that point Apple would have to contact him and offer him some type of compensation for pushing the order back.
This was a case where the OP changed his mind and wanted to change the order. Regardless what he told the lady on the phone, there's no guarantee what will happen until the change is made.

niuniu

macrumors 68020
Was sympathising with the OP, until I read..

Really puts things into perspective. Thanks for the reminder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.