Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 7, 2012, 08:18 PM   #1
califlorida
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
A Message For All Those Impatient for Their 27"

I have one on order too, and I'm very anxious, but the moaning I'm hearing about this pre-order process is starting to become a bit ridiculous.

It's the first shipment of a high-demand product, and alot of people seem to be assuming that the Apple world is circulating around their own personal order, and custom system. I understand we're all customer's and should be treated with care, but imho Apple is doing a fantastic job, and always has in this regard.

Imagine the immense infrastructure and logistics needed to launch a worldwide product of this magnitude. The initial customers are going the be the "Voices" of the consumer over the next wave of orders.

So, not only do they have to order/manufacture parts, assemble custom machines, and ship them world-wide in a certain amount of time, they also have to try and make sure that this first group of customers is satisfied with their computers. Understand throughout this initial order they processing retail spec generic orders, but also full custom machines with an estimated 80+ configurations.

Please assume that this first order shipment was set and locked within 3-5 days of when ordering went live. They had to first process those orders and weed out all the fraudulent, declined, cancelled purchases. Then once they had a pretty accurate total of what they need to get on that first cargo ship, they immediately started the production line from their own factories, and coordinate stock/ordering from all their 3rd party suppliers.

What if they were expecting 150,000 initial orders, and got 250,000? That's alot of screens that were already in short supply.

I hear people moaning because they changed their order, and now their shipment is delayed? WTF To assume that Apple is going to stop this whole process and fix your order, and put you right back in the cue is ludicrous. If you ordered a new car direct from the factory, and changed your mind right before the build was to start, believe me your auto order will be delayed. No difference in this case.

When you're dealing with so many pieces, that need to come together at once, you need to keep some sort of guidance and structure to move forward. Apple is one of the best customer service related companies I've ever dealt with, and their product releases are massive global scale events.

Just be happy that those who ordered first, and made up our minds on what we wanted, seem to be on schedule for the promised delivery. In this age of mass consumerism, that's all we can hope for, and to repeat Apple does it better than 90% of the companies out there. I could understand if all of us in the initial cue got emails that said we wouldn't receive them until January, but from where I'm sitting that doesn't look like the case. We all seem to be sitting with the same dates as when we ordered, and some even expedited further.

It's the holidays, lighten up, and look forward to the day you will open your new computer. Things could be much worse, there's many who couldn't afford to buy one of these if they tried.

***Disclaimer I've been guilty as well -- this is coming from somebody who ordered in the first 10 minutes. I have a 21-28th date, called customer support to try and expedite quicker, and even called a colleague at corporate to see if he could do anything to get mine in my hands sooner.

I've now come to peace with the fact it will arrive when it arrives. I'm passing the time knowing that this delay is making sure I get what I want, and that it works how I want it to. I'm also spending the time testing various pieces of my software with Mountain Lion so as to have a better transition when it arrives.
califlorida is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 08:27 PM   #2
NextGenApple
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
and even called a colleague at corporate to see if he could do anything to get mine in my hands sooner.

If you say so. Anyone that claims they have someone high in apple would know that what you claim could never happen unless you was Obama etc.
keep dreaming.
You just tried to make yourself look like you have connection in Apple. BIG FAIL KEEP DREAMING
NextGenApple is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 08:48 PM   #3
bayleaves
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Silicon Valley
Don't read it

Or if you don't like reading posts about the delivery timing of the 27" iMacs, you could just not read them. That might be a tad easier than getting everyone to conform to your will. Since this is the MacRumors iMac forum, probably people are going to keep discussing the delivery times whether you approve or not.
bayleaves is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 08:51 PM   #4
zemzabob
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Lol:d
zemzabob is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 08:52 PM   #5
jkautosports
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New York, NY
Wow way too long to read, so I read the Businessweek article about Tim Cook instead. Good article
jkautosports is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 08:56 PM   #6
atteligibility
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by califlorida View Post
I have one on order too, and I'm very anxious, but the moaning I'm hearing about this pre-order process is starting to become a bit ridiculous.

It's the first shipment of a high-demand product, and alot of people seem to be assuming that the Apple world is circulating around their own personal order, and custom system. I understand we're all customer's and should be treated with care, but imho Apple is doing a fantastic job, and always has in this regard.

Imagine the immense infrastructure and logistics needed to launch a worldwide product of this magnitude. The initial customers are going the be the "Voices" of the consumer over the next wave of orders.

So, not only do they have to order/manufacture parts, assemble custom machines, and ship them world-wide in a certain amount of time, they also have to try and make sure that this first group of customers is satisfied with their computers. Understand throughout this initial order they processing retail spec generic orders, but also full custom machines with an estimated 80+ configurations.

Please assume that this first order shipment was set and locked within 3-5 days of when ordering went live. They had to first process those orders and weed out all the fraudulent, declined, cancelled purchases. Then once they had a pretty accurate total of what they need to get on that first cargo ship, they immediately started the production line from their own factories, and coordinate stock/ordering from all their 3rd party suppliers.

What if they were expecting 150,000 initial orders, and got 250,000? That's alot of screens that were already in short supply.

I hear people moaning because they changed their order, and now their shipment is delayed? WTF To assume that Apple is going to stop this whole process and fix your order, and put you right back in the cue is ludicrous. If you ordered a new car direct from the factory, and changed your mind right before the build was to start, believe me your auto order will be delayed. No difference in this case.

When you're dealing with so many pieces, that need to come together at once, you need to keep some sort of guidance and structure to move forward. Apple is one of the best customer service related companies I've ever dealt with, and their product releases are massive global scale events.

Just be happy that those who ordered first, and made up our minds on what we wanted, seem to be on schedule for the promised delivery. In this age of mass consumerism, that's all we can hope for, and to repeat Apple does it better than 90% of the companies out there. I could understand if all of us in the initial cue got emails that said we wouldn't receive them until January, but from where I'm sitting that doesn't look like the case. We all seem to be sitting with the same dates as when we ordered, and some even expedited further.

It's the holidays, lighten up, and look forward to the day you will open your new computer. Things could be much worse, there's many who couldn't afford to buy one of these if they tried.

***Disclaimer I've been guilty as well -- this is coming from somebody who ordered in the first 10 minutes. I have a 21-28th date, called customer support to try and expedite quicker, and even called a colleague at corporate to see if he could do anything to get mine in my hands sooner.

I've now come to peace with the fact it will arrive when it arrives. I'm passing the time knowing that this delay is making sure I get what I want, and that it works how I want it to. I'm also spending the time testing various pieces of my software with Mountain Lion so as to have a better transition when it arrives.
That's not a message, that's a book!
Try again with something shorter, maybe I'll read it then, although unlikely...
atteligibility is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 09:47 PM   #7
12dylan34
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
I read the whole thing... I've always sort of wondered how the BTO manufacturing works. Like if they have lines producing exclusively certain combos or something, or they start with certain motherboards and processors, then the line splits into configurations with 1TB vs. 3TB drives, etc. it really is a logistical feat for all of this, though.
12dylan34 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 10:13 PM   #8
Deanobear
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Melbourne, Australia
I couldn't agree more with the OP - it arrives, when it arrives - it's not like it's a new heart, liver or kidney - those things you might need instantly, your new iMac can wait a few days - and yes I'm waiting breathlessly for the email to say "your mac has shipped" - not so much for the delivery date, just so much as I can be home for it to arrive.
Deanobear is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 10:21 PM   #9
tonyy
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Also, it's not really anything ground breaking or earth shattering. You'll get it delivered, open it and take it out of the box (probably the best part TBH), put it on your desk, plug it in, then turn it on.

Then you put it your iCloud ID and have everything synced. You'll play with it for 20 min then put it to sleep and go sit on the couch and watch TV.
tonyy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 10:22 PM   #10
pyzon
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by atteligibility View Post
That's not a message, that's a book!
Try again with something shorter, maybe I'll read it then, although unlikely...
Yeah and you quoted it making me scroll further to reach the bottom....clever!
pyzon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:00 PM   #11
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem
 
GoCubsGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Dude, you need a blog. Or a twitter account.
We get it, patience is a virtue but a lost art with kids today.
GoCubsGo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:04 PM   #12
ChrisMan287
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NY.
<---- Didn't read LOLOL
__________________
15" PowerBook G4, 1.67GHz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD ; 16GB iPad2.
ChrisMan287 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 12:12 AM   #13
zemzabob
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
I hate to wait but to be honest it makes receiving it that much better, kinda like waiting for Christmas morning when I was I kid bitter sweet!
zemzabob is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 11:14 AM   #14
xgman
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyy View Post
you'll play with it for 20 min then put it to sleep and go sit on the couch and watch tv.
xgman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 11:51 AM   #15
mushroomtip
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by califlorida View Post
I have one on order too, and I'm very anxious, but the moaning I'm hearing about this pre-order process is starting to become a bit ridiculous.

It's the first shipment of a high-demand product, and alot of people seem to be assuming that the Apple world is circulating around their own personal order, and custom system. I understand we're all customer's and should be treated with care, but imho Apple is doing a fantastic job, and always has in this regard.

Imagine the immense infrastructure and logistics needed to launch a worldwide product of this magnitude. The initial customers are going the be the "Voices" of the consumer over the next wave of orders.

So, not only do they have to order/manufacture parts, assemble custom machines, and ship them world-wide in a certain amount of time, they also have to try and make sure that this first group of customers is satisfied with their computers. Understand throughout this initial order they processing retail spec generic orders, but also full custom machines with an estimated 80+ configurations.

Please assume that this first order shipment was set and locked within 3-5 days of when ordering went live. They had to first process those orders and weed out all the fraudulent, declined, cancelled purchases. Then once they had a pretty accurate total of what they need to get on that first cargo ship, they immediately started the production line from their own factories, and coordinate stock/ordering from all their 3rd party suppliers.

What if they were expecting 150,000 initial orders, and got 250,000? That's alot of screens that were already in short supply.

I hear people moaning because they changed their order, and now their shipment is delayed? WTF To assume that Apple is going to stop this whole process and fix your order, and put you right back in the cue is ludicrous. If you ordered a new car direct from the factory, and changed your mind right before the build was to start, believe me your auto order will be delayed. No difference in this case.

When you're dealing with so many pieces, that need to come together at once, you need to keep some sort of guidance and structure to move forward. Apple is one of the best customer service related companies I've ever dealt with, and their product releases are massive global scale events.

Just be happy that those who ordered first, and made up our minds on what we wanted, seem to be on schedule for the promised delivery. In this age of mass consumerism, that's all we can hope for, and to repeat Apple does it better than 90% of the companies out there. I could understand if all of us in the initial cue got emails that said we wouldn't receive them until January, but from where I'm sitting that doesn't look like the case. We all seem to be sitting with the same dates as when we ordered, and some even expedited further.

It's the holidays, lighten up, and look forward to the day you will open your new computer. Things could be much worse, there's many who couldn't afford to buy one of these if they tried.

***Disclaimer I've been guilty as well -- this is coming from somebody who ordered in the first 10 minutes. I have a 21-28th date, called customer support to try and expedite quicker, and even called a colleague at corporate to see if he could do anything to get mine in my hands sooner.

I've now come to peace with the fact it will arrive when it arrives. I'm passing the time knowing that this delay is making sure I get what I want, and that it works how I want it to. I'm also spending the time testing various pieces of my software with Mountain Lion so as to have a better transition when it arrives.
you remind me of a person that had a blast being on drugs , but now is telling everyone they should stay off drugs , because you are unable to do them anymore .
mushroomtip is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 12:07 PM   #16
fastlanephil
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
I'm sticking with my 2011 27" iMac but I'm still looking forward to the inevitable 2011 vs 2012 iMac shoot out comparison at Bare Feats.
fastlanephil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 12:07 PM   #17
iMcLovin
macrumors 65816
 
iMcLovin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
TMTDNR

....all I have to say, shut up and let us moan.
__________________
27" iMac Retina | 13" MacBook Air - 2013 | iPhone 6 | iPad Air 2 ...etc
iMcLovin is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 12:37 PM   #18
Roller
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by califlorida View Post
I have one on order too, and I'm very anxious, but the moaning I'm hearing about this pre-order process is starting to become a bit ridiculous.
The older I get (I'm almost 60), the sillier this pre-order stuff gets. After all, it's just a computer, right?



Oh, heck, that's BS. I'm checking my order and reading all the threads here multiple times each day looking for something to change. Truth is, all the anticipatory activity is sort of fun and makes me feel like a kid again.
Roller is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 12:51 PM   #19
mushroomtip
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roller View Post
The older I get (I'm almost 60), the sillier this pre-order stuff gets. After all, it's just a computer, right?



Oh, heck, that's BS. I'm checking my order and reading all the threads here multiple times each day looking for something to change. Truth is, all the anticipatory activity is sort of fun and makes me feel like a kid again.
at your advanced age I dont blame you ...
mushroomtip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 12:56 PM   #20
iMcLovin
macrumors 65816
 
iMcLovin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roller View Post
The older I get (I'm almost 60), the sillier this pre-order stuff gets. After all, it's just a computer, right?



Oh, heck, that's BS. I'm checking my order and reading all the threads here multiple times each day looking for something to change. Truth is, all the anticipatory activity is sort of fun and makes me feel like a kid again.
Indeed i agree every time I buy a new apple product that I've been waiting for, I become completely childish again. Though my family don't notice I'm probably as anxious to get my order as my kids are anxious to open Xmas presents. And I'm 36


So yeah let us behave stupid! It's one the things I love spending money on... And this suspension makes all a lot of fun.
__________________
27" iMac Retina | 13" MacBook Air - 2013 | iPhone 6 | iPad Air 2 ...etc
iMcLovin is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 01:03 PM   #21
mushroomtip
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Im getting so impatient that if a 2011 balls out iMac pops up ,I just may order it and cancel the new iMac slim . but I love feeling like a kid impatiently waiting for my new toy
mushroomtip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 02:02 PM   #22
EK23
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
I want to make sure I have this correct. A guy that was so impatient, who had the audacity to call the corporate office to try to expedite his own personal order, is now writing a diatribe telling others to be patient? Does that about sum it up?
EK23 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 03:27 PM   #23
macguy11
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
the length of this was just sad
macguy11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 03:36 PM   #24
iMcLovin
macrumors 65816
 
iMcLovin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by EK23 View Post
I want to make sure I have this correct. A guy that was so impatient, who had the audacity to call the corporate office to try to expedite his own personal order, is now writing a diatribe telling others to be patient? Does that about sum it up?
Ouch even I haven't called apple and nagged, nor will I do it. Ill just use this forum to release steam
__________________
27" iMac Retina | 13" MacBook Air - 2013 | iPhone 6 | iPad Air 2 ...etc
iMcLovin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 03:47 PM   #25
bobright
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by EK23 View Post
I want to make sure I have this correct. A guy that was so impatient, who had the audacity to call the corporate office to try to expedite his own personal order, is now writing a diatribe telling others to be patient? Does that about sum it up?
Link /
bobright is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For the impatient, check out places like B&H Photo. jshbckr Mac Pro 11 May 6, 2014 12:46 PM
My impatient response to the wait... nathanjbrown Mac mini 18 Apr 22, 2014 01:29 AM
Disable Mail.app message "cannot send message" kvdv OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 3 May 29, 2013 09:50 AM
Anyone else getting impatient [waiting for the 32gb S4]? LIVEFRMNYC Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 17 Apr 30, 2013 09:28 PM
How impatient are you with iOS 6 rahul247rocks iOS 6 31 Jun 15, 2012 12:43 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:06 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC