Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Old Dec 7, 2012, 08:20 PM   #1
SendMoney
macrumors newbie

non-Apple SSD in current Apple refurb MacPro?

Can anyone please confirm if non-Apple SSD will work in the $1819 refurbished Mac Pro currently sold on the Apple website? It's the 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon MC560LL/A. I was on the phone with Crucial earlier and they said their SSDs would not work in that machine, which I thought was odd. I've read lots of posts on thie forum about cloning the OS/apps/etc over to an SSD, but is there something odd about what is currently being sold by Apple?
SendMoney is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 08:21 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by SendMoney View Post
Can anyone please confirm if non-Apple SSD will work in the $1819 refurbished Mac Pro currently sold on the Apple website?
There's no such thing as an Apple SSD. Apple doesn't make SSDs. Any SSD will work, as long as it fits and connects.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 08:26 PM   #3
Jake0604
macrumors regular

Any sata ssd will work
Old Dec 7, 2012, 08:28 PM   #4
SendMoney
macrumors newbie

Sorry if I was unclear. I'm gonna buy an Intel 520 or Crucial m4 (not Apple SSD) and put it in the Mac Pro's HDD or optical bay. I just thought that what Crucial told me was very odd.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 08:28 PM   #5
monkeybagel
macrumors 6502a

Not sure why they would say that unless
a) the don't ship a 2.5 to 3.5 adapter with the SSD, which would be required to place it in the Mac Pro hard disk tray

b) OS X will not enable TRIM unless you have a genuine Apple SSD in there, and they think this will affect long-term performance. I highly doubt this is the case, however since other manufacturers list their drives as "Mac compatible."
monkeybagel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 08:30 PM   #6
SendMoney
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake0604 View Post
Any sata ssd will work
Looks like you have the MC560LL/A. Do you add an SSD?
Old Dec 7, 2012, 08:31 PM   #7
ClassObject
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
There's no such thing as an Apple SSD. Apple doesn't make SSDs. Any SSD will work, as long as it fits and connects.
There are apple ssds
ClassObject is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 08:34 PM   #8
Jake0604
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SendMoney View Post
Looks like you have the MC560LL/A. Do you add an SSD?
I did buy the same refurb model listed in the op, and while I haven't added an ssd yet i do plan on it soon. Any SATA ssd should work, you just need a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter if you want it to fit in one of the hard drive bays.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 08:36 PM   #9
SendMoney
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybagel View Post
Not sure why they would say that unless
a) the don't ship a 2.5 to 3.5 adapter with the SSD, which would be required to place it in the Mac Pro hard disk tray

b) OS X will not enable TRIM unless you have a genuine Apple SSD in there, and they think this will affect long-term performance. I highly doubt this is the case, however since other manufacturers list their drives as "Mac compatible."
From doing lots of reading on this forum, I think I understand the TRIM issue, the use of an IcyDock (or equivalent) if installed in a HDD bay, the use of Carbon Copy Cloner (or equivalent) to do the transfer.

I was just really thown for a loop by Crucial's comments.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 08:39 PM   #10
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassObject View Post
There are apple ssds
Apple may stick their label on them, but I've never heard of any SSD manufactured by Apple. I'd be very interested to know if you have additional information to prove otherwise.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 08:42 PM   #11
monkeybagel
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
Apple may stick their label on them, but I've never heard of any SSD manufactured by Apple. I'd be very interested to know if you have additional information to prove otherwise.
The place their firmware on all Apple OEM drives and they appear as Apple SSD in disk utility. When OS X sees this, it enables TRIM.

They are outsourced to other manufacturers, just like their computers, and they place their firmware and logo on them.
monkeybagel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 08:44 PM   #12
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
The place their firmware on all Apple OEM drives and they appear as Apple SSD in disk utility. When OS X sees this, it enables TRIM.

They are outsourced to other manufacturers, just like their computers, and they place their firmware and logo on them.
That's exactly what I thought. Thanks.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 08:58 PM   #13
ClassObject
macrumors 6502

Quote:

Ding ding! We have a winner!!!
ClassObject is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro