Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tri81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2012
I was hoping someone could recommend the best bluetooth speaker for making and receiving calls in the car with an iPhone 5.

This is for my elderly father, who has not quite master using his iPhone, so I definitely need something very simple and easy to use. I do not care about music, since he will NEVER use it for streaming music. Only answerig and receiving phone calls. And perhaps dictating and reading texts, but Siri can do that.... if he ever learns how to use Siri.

The most important features:
Great sound quality
Good voice recognition
MUST automatically pair when you get in the car
Large/easy buttons

I looked at the highly reviewed BlueAnt S4, but it looks like you must always say a trigger phrase to activate it when you get in the car? Perhaps I am mistaken and someone can correct me. But I know my father will not remember to do that always. I need something that he can get in the car, be driving, and when his phone starts ringing, he can simply say something like "answer" without removing his eyes from the road.
I also looked at the highly reviewed Jabra Freeway, but a reviewer mentioned the small, difficult to use buttons, that you sometimes need to look at to ensure you are pressing the right one. My dad would have to take out his reading glasses to look at small buttons. Clearly not a good option while driving.
Amazon reviews pointed me towards the SuperTooth HD, but I can't find anything online about it being compatible with the iPhone 5 (I assume it is), and I read some so-so reviews elsewhere that have me second guessing this choice.

Any feedback or suggestions? I was primarily looking at visor bluetooths, since they seem the most geared toward call quality, but I am open to other types. So long as they are as simple and hands free as possible, and have great sound quality (remember, elderly hearing and voice).

Thanks so much in advance! Any help is greatly appreciated!

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
I like my BlueAnt, the old one with vibration sensing so that when you close the door it reconnects automatically. There are 2 current models now, but only one with vibration sensing. I think it is a must because I often forget to push a button to reconnect on the new model that has no vibration sensor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.