Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 7, 2012, 09:21 PM   #1
hello12
macrumors regular

What is the point of LTE?

Does LTE have a better connection inside buildings and such? Because my unlocked iphone on tmobile just started using 3G the other day, and its super fast... like instant and as fast as wifi. What would even be the point of LTE?
hello12 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 09:23 PM   #2
Diseal3
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello12 View Post
Does LTE have a better connection inside buildings and such? Because my unlocked iphone on tmobile just started using 3G the other day, and its super fast... like instant and as fast as wifi. What would even be the point of LTE?
LTE is technology that can and will be built upon. LTE Advanced and eventual VOLte. It's seen as the next milestone for both Voice and Data services.
Diseal3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 09:24 PM   #3
dontwalkhand
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to dontwalkhand
That's because you're on T-mobile which has HSPA+ 42, AT&T sprint and Verizon does not go up to 42
dontwalkhand is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 09:26 PM   #4
Mr Hill
macrumors 6502

Quote:
T-Mobile's 3G is very fast but it's theoretical speed limit is 42mbps. LTE has a 100mbps theoretical limit. It's a more latent connection but yeah in terms of actual usefulness on a phone, once you get past 15mbps the speeds become just something that looks nice on a Speedtest app. T-Mobile mainly needs LTE from a marketing standpoint to say that they have it since the other 3 carriers have it now.
Mr Hill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 02:11 AM   #5
equalme
macrumors newbie

Highest speed test I've ever hit on my S2 on Tmo was 10mbps..and that was rare. It mostly tests around 6-8mbps download and 1-2mbps upload which is no where close to decent wifi.

On the other hand, my friends iphone 5 on ATT LTE can constantly hit 30mbps down and 7-8mbps up. Now that is cable internet speeds.

This is all tested in Houston, TX where we have great coverage.
equalme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 03:30 AM   #6
E2EK1EL
macrumors 6502

Once you experience a good LTE connection, everything else is just too slow.

Telstra - Adelaide Australia.

Rogers - Scarborough Canada

E2EK1EL is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 03:33 AM   #7
Michael CM1
macrumors 601

Somewhere I read that LTE was the first mobile standard built with data as a primary focus or something like that. I don't know whether it will help in buildings, but the speeds of LTE are crazy fast compared to all 3G. I'm assuming when voice is transferred to LTE, it should get better quality. Maybe, dare I dream, we could get 128k quality instead of the crappy audio phones have always had.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 04:09 AM   #8
wordoflife
macrumors 604

LTE isn't that big of a deal if you're using GSM, but for CDMA, it's the next thing up. CDMA is already very slow, and the technology is at its end. In other words, CDMA technology cannot be improved anymore to offer the service that GSM providers are offering on their HSPA+ Networks, let alone HSPA.

CDMA = Sprint, Verizon

To put it in perspective, T-Mobile's HSPA+ network probably gets 6-10 Mb/s. I haven't seen Verizon got past 0.55-1 Mb/s. And don't even ask me about Sprint...
Old Dec 8, 2012, 04:18 AM   #9
boomhower
macrumors 65816

If you have a really good T-Mobile 3G or AT&T fauxG signal the difference isn't as drastic. But as mentioned, if your coming from CDMA is a massive massive upgrade.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 05:21 AM   #10
jstar002
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordoflife View Post
LTE isn't that big of a deal if you're using GSM, but for CDMA, it's the next thing up. CDMA is already very slow, and the technology is at its end. In other words, CDMA technology cannot be improved anymore to offer the service that GSM providers are offering on their HSPA+ Networks, let alone HSPA.

CDMA = Sprint, Verizon

To put it in perspective, T-Mobile's HSPA+ network probably gets 6-10 Mb/s. I haven't seen Verizon got past 0.55-1 Mb/s. And don't even ask me about Sprint...
That's surprising.. From reading the boards it seems like Verizon's LTE network is much faster and superior than ATT in Los Angeles and also a lot faster?
jstar002 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 06:37 AM   #11
corvus32
macrumors 6502a

What good is LTE speed when your phone bill is $100 per month and all you get is a 2GB data limit.

Seems more of a money making scam than anything of good use or value.

Let me know when it's available at $45 a month without a contract and $350 early termination fee that can go against your credit score. If someone can't afford to keep paying the monthly bill, how are they going to afford the ETF?
Old Dec 8, 2012, 06:58 AM   #12
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
On Verizon 3G, if you go to download a song or install an app, it could take several minutes. On Verizon LTE, the same things now often take 10 seconds.

Like everyone said, on AT&T and T-Mobile going from 3G to 4G to LTE isn't a big increase on speed usually. But for the millions of people on Verizon and Sprint, the speed increase that LTE brings is about the same magnitude as you just having going from EDGE to 3G on T-Mobile. Night and day difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvus32 View Post
What good is LTE speed when your phone bill is $100 per month and all you get is a 2GB data limit.
Hmm, I don't know of any big carriers in the US that charge extra for LTE (or charge less for 3G).
aristobrat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 06:59 AM   #13
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

The thread-starter is absolutely right. There's no need for LTE speeds when 3G speeds of a mere 3mbps is already enough to do everything so quickly on a mobile phone.

The only useful use of LTE is for the personal hotspot feature to connect to a com/laptop for an insanely fast internet connection.
Beeplance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 07:02 AM   #14
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeplance View Post
The thread-starter is absolutely right. There's no need for LTE speeds when 3G speeds of a mere 3mbps is already enough to do everything so quickly on a mobile phone.
3G speeds aren't fast everywhere.

The #1 and #3 largest carriers here in the US are CDMA, where typical speeds don't exceed .5 mbps.

That's the majority of Americans.
aristobrat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 07:05 AM   #15
Xgm541
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

The only useful use of LTE is for the personal hotspot feature to connect to a com/laptop for an insanely fast internet connection.
Lte in my experience has much lower ping times so you're never waiting around.
iPad 3 16GB.
Xgm541 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 07:35 AM   #16
scaredpoet
macrumors 601

Quote:

The point that is being missed entirely is that LTE adds capacity and forces carriers to add backhaul. More people can be using the network without overloading the network.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 09:42 AM   #17
AutoUnion39
In Time-Out

Lower latency. Higher speeds. Better building penetration (700mhz band).

I can get stupid fast data speeds in places where my previous phones would barely get on EDGE. (inside buildings)

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredpoet View Post
The point that is being missed entirely is that LTE adds capacity and forces carriers to add backhaul. More people can be using the network without overloading the network.
That's also because LTE is much more efficient at managing data and high amounts of users. That is why we probably won't see LTE choke in high user areas, like we saw 3G/EVDO do.
AutoUnion39 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 09:43 AM   #18
Kashsystems
macrumors 6502

The point of LTE is to make you use up your data plan up as fast as possible in the name of more monies.
Kashsystems is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 10:16 AM   #19
Jordan921
macrumors 68030

Because LTE is newer and better technology. I bet once T-Mobile gets LTE you aren't going to be asking what's the point of LTE.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 10:44 AM   #20
armandxp
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan921 View Post
Because LTE is newer and better technology. I bet once T-Mobile gets LTE you aren't going to be asking what's the point of LTE.
LTE's faster than my home internet! Just wish I didn't have a data cap
Old Dec 8, 2012, 10:53 AM   #21
Jordan921
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by armandxp View Post
I wish I had LTE where I lived.
Jordan921 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 11:08 AM   #22
utahusker
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by armandxp View Post
Me too, if it wasn't capped I would get rid of my home broadband and tether.
utahusker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 12:20 PM   #23
Menel
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by E2EK1EL View Post
Once you experience a good LTE connection, everything else is just too slow.
No, just no. I get 50-60 regular in ATL. Everything else is not 'just to slow'.

I drop to 4G when I go upto Chattanooga and pull 7-9mbps. And I can't tell a bit of difference for Mail, Safari, YouTube, or streaming iTunes Match/Pandora.

LTE is overkill for mobile handsets.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 02:26 PM   #24
Myiphone7
Banned

Quote:
LTE is actually faster than wifi.

Until you use it, you really don't know what your missing. Imagine streaming movies in HD INSTANTLY.
Myiphone7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 02:39 PM   #25
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myiphone7 View Post
LTE is actually faster than wifi.

Until you use it, you really don't know what your missing. Imagine streaming movies in HD INSTANTLY.
You can watch all of one HD movie before you start paying a second arm and leg. Obscene overage charges can track up like the is no tomorrow.
SomeDudeAsking is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone