Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Dec 8, 2012, 01:40 AM   #1
kylera
macrumors 6502a

iTunes doesn't like short songs?

I don't know if this is a bug of the new version or not, but what I notice is that extremely short songs don't seem to have their metadata changed.

I'm running the latest version of iTunes on ML, and I have a Smart Playlist with one condition: play count is zero. Basically, after a song plays completely, it disappears. But not with two tracks - one which is 5 seconds long and the other 9 seconds. These two songs' play counts don't change to 1 (or however many times I played them). Other regular-length songs don't seem affected.

Has anyone else run into this?
kylera is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 05:53 AM   #2
elf12
macrumors newbie

Yes, I've got this problem too... I have 3 tracks in my library under 10 seconds, none of them update "play count" and "last played" when played... All tracks over 10 seconds seem to work fine, EXCEPT one track of about 20 seconds, so I assume it's some kind of bug... Hopefully it'll be fixed in the next release.

Similar complaints here:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0
elf12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 06:42 AM   #3
kylera
macrumors 6502a

This is definitely an OS X iTunes issue, as those short songs disappear from the smart Playlist on my iPhone.

And then it disappears from the smart playlist on OS X. Talk about a roundabout way.
kylera is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 06:45 AM   #4
SimonCooper
macrumors newbie

Easy Fix

I have the problem too on both Windows 7 iTunes and OS x iTunes.

I have the same type of playlist that is set up to play a random selection of music I've not played on iTunes before.

An easy solution is to add another rule to the smart playlist - Time > 0:20
SimonCooper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 08:47 AM   #5
antonis
macrumors 6502a

I used to have problems like these, concerning metadata information to iTunes (like no matter if I changed the info artist, title etc the changes were ignored). The problem solved when I selected those mp3 songs within iTunes, and converted them to the latest mp3-tag version.

Haven't tried any short mp3 though.
antonis is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store