Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2010madone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
i have been a pure apple user for years. . .have 28 devices across all the products. but when the maps debacle happened i tried a Droid Razr Maxx HD alongside an iphone 5 for a few weeks. i had only ever tried Android on my wife's htc phone which ran i believe Droid 2.1 and i hated it

no one is more axed to want to move up to the newest/shiniest apple device than i am. but after using Jelly Bean for a few weeks there is literally no comparison anymore between android and ios.

being able to run multiple apps at the same time is a GAME CHANGER for a smartphone. i can leave a web page open, have stock quotes update, pause a game without closing it, go from maps/directions/navigation (which actually works) back to an email with location information, back to an ongoing phone call, etc, etc

it boggles my mind why apple wouldn't allow this basic functionality on a 2012 smartphone operating system. at this point ios6 feels like dos to me--and i used and loved the feel of ios for years on various other iphones. it can't be because they can't put this functionality in the os. ..its because they don't want to ? i literally do not get it

having run these phones side by side for a few weeks i will not be back to ios. google are simply a way better software company and i believe the gap only widens over time. the difference between Droid 2.1 and 4.2 is STAGGERING and that is basically progress made in about 2 years. in that time ios looks more or less the same

and don't get me started on how good predictive typing, haptic feedback (keyboard does very faint buzz every time you press--wildly improves typing accuracy), google now, etc, etc are.

apple--i am a 10 year user of your products and was totally locked into the ecosystem. i always literally laughed at Droid users. . .now I find out i AM the clueless parents in the Samsung Galaxy S commercial.

if i'm leaving it ain't good. . .need to get the mojo back

:(:(:(:(:(

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
i have been a pure apple user for years. . .have 28 devices across all the products. but when the maps debacle happened i tried a Droid Razr Maxx HD alongside an iphone 5 for a few weeks. i had only ever tried Android on my wife's htc phone which ran i believe Droid 2.1 and i hated it

no one is more axed to want to move up to the newest/shiniest apple device than i am. but after using Jelly Bean for a few weeks there is literally no comparison anymore between android and ios.

being able to run multiple apps at the same time is a GAME CHANGER for a smartphone. i can leave a web page open, have stock quotes update, pause a game without closing it, go from maps/directions/navigation (which actually works) back to an email with location information, back to an ongoing phone call, etc, etc

it boggles my mind why apple wouldn't allow this basic functionality on a 2012 smartphone operating system. at this point ios6 feels like dos to me--and i used and loved the feel of ios for years on various other iphones. it can't be because they can't put this functionality in the os. ..its because they don't want to ? i literally do not get it

having run these phones side by side for a few weeks i will not be back to ios. google are simply a way better software company and i believe the gap only widens over time. the difference between Droid 2.1 and 4.2 is STAGGERING and that is basically progress made in about 2 years. in that time ios looks more or less the same

and don't get me started on how good predictive typing, haptic feedback (keyboard does very faint buzz every time you press--wildly improves typing accuracy), google now, etc, etc are.

apple--i am a 10 year user of your products and was totally locked into the ecosystem. i always literally laughed at Droid users. . .now I find out i AM the clueless parents in the Samsung Galaxy S commercial.

if i'm leaving it ain't good. . .need to get the mojo back

:(:(:(:(:(

There is nothing in your post that an iPhone can't do besides haptic feedback while typing....

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
i ask this out of genuine curiosity, how does haptic feedback "wildly improve" typing accuracy? it tells you when you've touched a key, but the problem remains whether you've hit the *right* key.

Garenius

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2012
I'm not exactly sure what you mean but multi-tasking here. If you press the Home Button long enough you can see all of the apps running, so I have no idea what you're talkin about

Vetvito

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012
Not exactly fellas, the OP is right. He's not talking about the frozen apps in the double tap menu. He's referring to the full blown multitasking of Android.

Some like it, some don't. That's why we have choices.

Oui

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
So the choice is simple. Return the iPhone and keep the droid.
It seems to be the one your looking for so move along.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Not exactly fellas, the OP is right. He's not talking about the frozen apps in the double tap menu. He's referring to the full blown multitasking of Android.

The only reason why iOS doesn't have full-blown multi-tasking: Battery life.

Steve Jobs said it himself. Look at the iOS 4 keynote.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010

But he's not, there's nothing in his post that operates differently than a iOS device. For example, I can pause a game go to another app and go back to the game. That's not "closing" the app. I can do his e-mail/maps example. I can do all these things with an ongoing phone call as well. If he actually means, why can't iOS do that without bothering to conserve battery life, I'm more confused.

Vetvito

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012
^ I can't exactly explain it to you, but you may seem to be able to do this but reality is, you're not. iOS doesn't has full multitasking abilities. iOS freezes apps.

Better to some, worse to others. Doesn't matter to me.

2010madone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
i ask this out of genuine curiosity, how does haptic feedback "wildly improve" typing accuracy? it tells you when you've touched a key, but the problem remains whether you've hit the *right* key.

the combination of haptic feedback + predictive keyboard on jelly bean wildly improves typing accuracy and i would estimate i use maybe 30-40% less keystrokes because as you type any word it shows you the most likely words you are trying to type above the keyboard. predictive keyboard = it knows what you type most often and learns based on that. it is very hard to use an apple keyboard on my new ipod touch or ipad 4s after using the Droid keyboard for a few days.

KirkL

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2010
United States
^ I can't exactly explain it to you, but you may seem to be able to do this but reality is, you're not. iOS doesn't has full multitasking abilities. iOS freezes apps.

It freezes some apps. I can listen to Pandora and do web browsing

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside

iOS doesn't freeze every app. Only those that have the API hooks in place for it, which by default they do if they are built with iOS 4+ in mind. Those that don't, simply quit. App developers can also request via one of the seven backgrounding APIs to not have their app frozen for X amount of minutes. That is true backgrounding and iOS has it. Other backgrounding APIs include audio playback, VOIP, location data, local push notifications, push notifications, task completion, and freezing. With iOS 5, Apple introduced three more, Newsstand download, external accessory, and Bluetooth accessory. If a process engages one of these (excluding freezing) the process remains active in the background. This, by definition, is multitasking. Technically, iOS has done multitasking since iOS 1.0.

2010madone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
It freezes some apps. I can listen to Pandora and do web browsing

ios is NOT multitasking. it freezes some apps and then re-opens. android allows you to run multiple apps in real time just like macs have been doing since almost the beginning of time.

after 3 days of being able to multitask one really can't go back

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009

Because this isn't true haptic feedback. It's the kind of "touch-a-button-and-let-the-vibrator-vibrate"-haptic-feedback.

The haptic, or better worded, tactile, feedback is like Senseg's technology. To give you an example: you could go with your finger over a virtual keyboard and feel all the buttons. If you press a bit harder than you actually push the key.

Vetvito

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012
Like I said it freezes apps, obviously not the ones with the appropriate API used.

Play Dead Trigger, Sims 3, Sims Free Play, COD Zombies, open the YouTube App and launch a video, then go play a stored video on your phone. Then jump back in to each of those apps without it reloading, Android devices with the appropriate RAM will keep all of those apps running until low on ram before completely closing them. Thus the battery drain statement.

However Google is your friend, as this is well documented.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
ios is NOT multitasking. it freezes some apps and then re-opens. android allows you to run multiple apps in real time just like macs have been doing since almost the beginning of time.

after 3 days of being able to multitask one really can't go back

Depends on the developer. That's why, for example, GPS apps continue running in the background. Or radio apps. Or photo upload apps. There is no need for an app like "weather" to run all the time.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Like I said it freezes apps, obviously not the ones with the appropriate API used.

Play Dead Trigger, Sims 3, Sims Free Play, COD Zombies, open the YouTube App and launch a video, then go play a stored video on your phone. Then jump back in to each of those apps without it reloading, Android devices with the appropriate RAM will keep all of those apps running until low on ram before completely closing them. Thus the battery drain statement.

However Google is your friend, as this is well documented.

I do very similar things quite often on my 4S. Lots of games, uploading things via Dropbox, Safari browsing, texting, and Pandora. All while quickly switching between them. Not a single reload or crash. I'd image an A5X/A6 chip would be able to handle it even better. I don't have any reloading problems or other crashes. Don't forget, Apple's Developer Documentation has all of this laid out if glorious technical detail.

Vetvito

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012
I do very similar things quite often on my 4S. Lots of games, uploading things via Dropbox, Safari browsing, texting, and Pandora. All while quickly switching between them. Not a single reload or crash. I'd image an A5X/A6 chip would be able to handle it even better. I don't have any reloading problems or other crashes. Don't forget, Apple's Developer Documentation has all of this laid out if glorious technical detail.

Those apps are using the appropriate APIs. That's nothing similar to what I said btw.

As I said, Google Bing, or whatever search engine you use, use it. This is well documented.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Those apps are using the appropriate APIs. That's nothing similar to what I said btw.

As I said, Google Bing, or whatever search engine you use, use it. This is well documented.

Maybe I should revise my post to state that I get great battery life while doing those things as well. I'm also very aware of Android's battery life problems when multitasking goes unchecked. Even when iOS doesn't freeze the apps, battery life is still very good. One can also force all apps to remain in the "foreground" state if jailbroken and using Backgrounder. Even then, battery life is quite remarkable.

Vetvito

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012
Maybe I should revise my post to state that I get great battery life while doing those things as well. I'm also very aware of Android's battery life problems when multitasking goes unchecked. Even when iOS doesn't freeze the apps, battery life is still very good. One can also force all apps to remain in the "foreground" state if jailbroken and using Backgrounder. Even then, battery life is quite remarkable.

Now we are on the same page. Like I sad, some like it some don't.

I prefer my iPhone a lot of times over my Android.

paulbennett95

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
Long Island, NY
State a flaw about iOS or a positive about android and people get defensive
Please note the name of this forum, and this particular subforum...

And I can do all those things you noted on mu 4S, not all at once on the same screen without changing apps/screens, but even if ios allowed it I wouldn't be able to do it, I can't type/write and talk at the same time, let alone make a phone call, look at something and type...
To each his own I guess.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.