Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:16 AM   #1
Crooks
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: CALIFORNIA!
iPad 4 32GB or iPad Mini 32GB?

Hi All,

I'm a prospective college student looking to buy an iPad. I'm currently deciding between a 32GB iPad 4 or iPad Mini 32GB and I don't know which one to pick. I can't wait until Fall 2013, so I have to pick between these two. Hopefully someone can give me some advice?

I would use the iPad primarily for: watching movies, web browsing, some gaming, and taking it to school to do some research, notes, etc. Weight matters, but the iPad 2is already pretty light for me to carry in a backpack. (I realize the iPad 3/4 is a bit heavier, this shouldn't really matter too much)

Screen res is a big one, but my father owns an iPad Mini and I find the screen "bearable". I own an iPhone 5 so I can immediately tell the difference.

I love the design of the iPad Mini, but I can't take the low res screen and A5. On the other hand, I love the iPad 4's screen, but the design is a bit outdated, not to mention its noticeably heavier than the iPad Mini. Again, the weight isn't too much of an issue. The A6X is a benefit, but not a dealbreaker.

I'm seriously torn on which to go with
Crooks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:29 AM   #2
mac00l
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2011
Everyone will tell you something different.

For me the iPad mini is perfect, currently is the device I use the most. But for each its own.

The screen is not perfect, but the size and weight is. It's a no brainier for me. If I had to sell everything, the iPad mini would be the last to be sold.
__________________
MacBook Pro 13" 2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM ; MacBook Air 13" 1.3Ghz, 4GB RAM ; 16GB iPhone 5 ; 32GB iPad mini ; Apple TV Moto X
mac00l is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 01:21 AM   #3
alphaod
macrumors Core
 
alphaod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: 上海 (Shanghai)
For day-to-day use, I find the iPad mini to be perfect for my needs. It's small, compact, has great battery life. The screen does not bother me at all. It think this is the perfect iPad for long term handheld use.

The iPad (regular) is fine, but it is certainly bigger. But it's also got more power, has a nicer display (even though I don't need it, I wouldn't say I don't want it), battery life is just as good. For viewing movies on a table (for handheld of a shorter period) it's excellent; much better for watching between a few folks. Also for research and note, the bigger screen is easier to use.

For me I moved from an iPad 3 to an iPad mini. I don't regret making the change one bit. I love the size of the iPad mini, the performance is adequate for my needs, and I don't mind that it doesn't have a Retina display.
__________________
Mac Pro | iMac | Mac mini | MacBook Pro | MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod
alphaod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 01:57 AM   #4
Davidkoh
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
For me the mini is too smsll to be useful, it feels cramped typing on it and so on. When I am bringing my ipad the 2 choices that either size allows for are in my hand or in a bag. In neither case would the smaller mini be easier to bring.
Davidkoh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 02:40 AM   #5
JTyler82
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Personally, I LOVED the mini. When I returned it, 2 clerks even asked "who returns an ipad mini?!"

I just needed something with a better (NOT bigger) screen. Because I mainly use it for ibooks/textbooks for school.

I would just buy whatever is gonna suit YOUR needs. Think about the future. Think about are you gonna be happy or regret it even after your 30 day return policy.

Last edited by JTyler82; Feb 24, 2013 at 02:41 AM. Reason: Forgot to add something
JTyler82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 05:47 AM   #6
bobbysmith
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
If you have an iPad 2 and don't care about size, can you really justify a mini? Yes, it has a better screen, but not wildly better and the smaller size and smaller text pretty much cancels out any benefit.

I would lean towards keeping my iPad 2 and waiting for the next generation. Either the iPad 5, or the mini 2 if it has a better screen than the current mini.

If I've misunderstood and you don't currently have an iPad, then maybe I would be tempted to get 16 GB mini because it's much cheaper and then replaced it when the iPad 5/mini 2 is released.
bobbysmith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 05:52 AM   #7
HiddenPuppy
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crooks View Post
Hi All,

I'm a prospective college student looking to buy an iPad. I'm currently deciding between a 32GB iPad 4 or iPad Mini 32GB and I don't know which one to pick. I can't wait until Fall 2013, so I have to pick between these two. Hopefully someone can give me some advice?

I would use the iPad primarily for: watching movies, web browsing, some gaming, and taking it to school to do some research, notes, etc. Weight matters, but the iPad 2is already pretty light for me to carry in a backpack. (I realize the iPad 3/4 is a bit heavier, this shouldn't really matter too much)

Screen res is a big one, but my father owns an iPad Mini and I find the screen "bearable". I own an iPhone 5 so I can immediately tell the difference.

I love the design of the iPad Mini, but I can't take the low res screen and A5. On the other hand, I love the iPad 4's screen, but the design is a bit outdated, not to mention its noticeably heavier than the iPad Mini. Again, the weight isn't too much of an issue. The A6X is a benefit, but not a dealbreaker.

I'm seriously torn on which to go with

To me the key word in your post is "bearable", I don't feel you should spend that much money on something that is "bearable" because after awhile it is going to become "unbearable"
HiddenPuppy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 05:53 AM   #8
725032
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
The mini is too small for proper use.

The screen is noticeably bad as well.

All in all not a great first gen item.

Either get full iPad or wait for the retina mini.
725032 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 06:32 AM   #9
Onimusha370
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
even though i love my mini, for doing college work i'd say the full size ipad is better suited to your needs
Onimusha370 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 06:34 AM   #10
WilliamLondon
macrumors 68000
 
WilliamLondon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiPi View Post
The mini is too small for proper use.

The screen is noticeably bad as well.

All in all not a great first gen item.

Either get full iPad or wait for the retina mini.
You know you don't have to trash the mini simply because you don't like it. If you prefer the full sized, talk about *it's* good or preferred qualities, but I suppose it's always easier to be negative than positive?

BTW, the screen is *not* noticeably bad, it's *not* too small for proper use, I use it for reading PDFs of journal articles (from JSTOR) and book scans for school all the time, it's the main reason I bought the thing, so I'd say I'm getting more "proper" use than some who buy a full sized iPad with no use in mind whatsoever but just want the device "because" (which is absolutely fine).

The mini is a wonderful device, it's one of the best devices I've ever owned, and there are millions of other actual mini owners who would agree vs. a bunch of armchair spec whores most of whom have never even touched the thing but derive some strange sense of superiority by trashing something (ad nauseam).

My advice regarding an iPad, both would be wonderful devices, you won't go wrong with either one. Personally, I'm a portability whore, my laptop is an MBA 11" because size and weight reign supreme with me so I went with the mini and I couldn't be happier (it's as close to the size of my wonderful Kindle, which sadly can't display PDFs well enough). If portability isn't such a thing with you, go with the full sized iPad. If portability is important, go with the mini - also the mini is a great gaming device (got to do something fun when you're not studying, right?!). Good luck with your decision, as I said, neither would be wrong and no matter what decision you make, remember Apple products have great resale value, so you can always sell yours and upgrade when the next version of either one comes along without losing a lot of money - I think both upgrades will be exciting when they come.

Last edited by WilliamLondon; Feb 24, 2013 at 06:44 AM.
WilliamLondon is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 07:37 AM   #11
cardfan
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
I'd get neither and worry more about having a decent laptop for college. But since you asked, you've already answered your question on ipads. You prefer the bigger retina screen.
cardfan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 07:48 AM   #12
bobbysmith
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamLondon View Post
The mini is a wonderful device, it's one of the best devices I've ever owned, and there are millions of other actual mini owners who would agree vs. a bunch of armchair spec whores most of whom have never even touched the thing but derive some strange sense of superiority by trashing something (ad nauseam).
What two things would you like to see them improve in the next version?
bobbysmith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 08:50 AM   #13
WilliamLondon
macrumors 68000
 
WilliamLondon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbysmith View Post
What two things would you like to see them improve in the next version?
Good question. I'd say: 1) display - I'd be an idiot to say a better resolution screen would be unwelcome, but also I'd love for them to come up with some display that incorporated the benefits of e-ink displays, where you can read for days and weeks not just hours (I just love reading on my Kindle Paperwhite), and of course anything they can do graphics-wise that would make game playing on it even better, I'm all for. 2) size/weight - thinner and lighter will never be a bad thing in a device that is all about thin and lightweight.

As for the iPad full sized, I'd love to see it get the "mini treatment" (i.e. thinner, lighter, smaller bezel if that's possible and practical). I don't see the full sized iPad replacing a mini of mine, but at some point I could easily see getting another full sized iPad (used to own a gen 1) as a complementary device (but that's a luxury at this point for me).

What about you?
WilliamLondon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 08:59 AM   #14
725032
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamLondon View Post
You know you don't have to trash the mini simply because you don't like it. If you prefer the full sized, talk about *it's* good or preferred qualities, but I suppose it's always easier to be negative than positive?

BTW, the screen is *not* noticeably bad, it's *not* too small for proper use, I use it for reading PDFs of journal articles (from JSTOR) and book scans for school all the time, it's the main reason I bought the thing, so I'd say I'm getting more "proper" use than some who buy a full sized iPad with no use in mind whatsoever but just want the device "because" (which is absolutely fine).

The mini is a wonderful device, it's one of the best devices I've ever owned, and there are millions of other actual mini owners who would agree vs. a bunch of armchair spec whores most of whom have never even touched the thing but derive some strange sense of superiority by trashing something (ad nauseam).

My advice regarding an iPad, both would be wonderful devices, you won't go wrong with either one. Personally, I'm a portability whore, my laptop is an MBA 11" because size and weight reign supreme with me so I went with the mini and I couldn't be happier (it's as close to the size of my wonderful Kindle, which sadly can't display PDFs well enough). If portability isn't such a thing with you, go with the full sized iPad. If portability is important, go with the mini - also the mini is a great gaming device (got to do something fun when you're not studying, right?!). Good luck with your decision, as I said, neither would be wrong and no matter what decision you make, remember Apple products have great resale value, so you can always sell yours and upgrade when the next version of either one comes along without losing a lot of money - I think both upgrades will be exciting when they come.
Just my opinion.

I bought it and was really disappointed. Ended up giving it to my cleaner for her son to have.

I'll try again when the retina version is released.
725032 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 09:21 AM   #15
bobbysmith
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamLondon View Post
What about you?
1) A digitizer so you could take notes and draw with a thin stylus, 2) more memory or a redesigned browser that doesn't reload all the tabs when it feels like it, 3) a better screen so small text (especially figure text, footnotes, and so on) is more comfortable without having to zoom, 4) a less slippery back. The current one is made of lube, except for the Apple
bobbysmith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 09:54 AM   #16
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5
 
ucfgrad93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crooks View Post
I love the design of the iPad Mini, but I can't take the low res screen and A5. On the other hand, I love the iPad 4's screen, but the design is a bit outdated, not to mention its noticeably heavier than the iPad Mini. Again, the weight isn't too much of an issue. The A6X is a benefit, but not a dealbreaker.
Given what you said here, I think you should get the iPad 4.
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:06 AM   #17
Crooks
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: CALIFORNIA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
Given what you said here, I think you should get the iPad 4.
This is what I'm leaning towards as well

Is it pretty much 100% confirmed that the new iPad 5 will NOT be released next month like previous generations?
Crooks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:14 AM   #18
725032
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crooks View Post
This is what I'm leaning towards as well

Is it pretty much 100% confirmed that the new iPad 5 will NOT be released next month like previous generations?
Wise choice... You will not regret it
725032 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:17 AM   #19
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5
 
ucfgrad93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crooks View Post
Is it pretty much 100% confirmed that the new iPad 5 will NOT be released next month like previous generations?
I think it is doubtful that a new iPad will be released in the next month or two as Apple just recently updated them. However, only Apple knows for sure.
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:44 AM   #20
gadgetmonster
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Both.
gadgetmonster is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 05:24 PM   #21
iEvolution
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
iPad 4 in my opinion. iPad won't make a great productivity platform FYI, lacks a file system and if you're a master at the keyboard/mouse a laptop is superior.

Good for everything else you listed though.
iEvolution is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 05:33 PM   #22
Batavian
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
From how you describe your needs, iPad 4.
__________________
I miss the down arrow.
Batavian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 06:00 PM   #23
flavr
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiPi View Post
The mini is too small for proper use.

The screen is noticeably bad as well.

All in all not a great first gen item.

Either get full iPad or wait for the retina mini.
proper use? whats that?
flavr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 07:34 PM   #24
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68020
 
TacticalDesire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Michigan
The screen is my biggest problem with the mini. After using devices with much higher pixel density the screen is noticeably worse. I'm not going to say it's unbearable or bad but I'm not going to say I can't notice the difference either. The A5 is fine but the RAM may become an issue at some point and for me it already is in some cases. Putting 512mb into it is just stupid. Other than that, the size is very handy and it runs full iPad apps. If longevity is what you're looking for though, go with the iPad 4. We have the 3 and it's still very portable and the weight isn't an issue. It will last you a long time and it has a much more modern CPU architecture that I'm willing to bet apple won't ditch with the next generation iPad. The iPad 4 will serve you well and last you longer. With the Mini you could upgrade more often however because of the price.

Even though I have the mini and really like it I'd recommend the iPad 4 for your situation.
__________________
GSM Unlocked Moto X 16gb (Android 4.4.3)
ATT Nokia Lumia 520 8gb (Windows Phone 8)
Slate iPod Touch 5th Generation 32gb (iOS 6.1.2)
Slate iPad Mini 16gb (iOS 7.1.1)
TacticalDesire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 08:38 PM   #25
Beezzy
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
I just got an iPad 4 32GB, I can't use a mini, no retina display and it has an A5 CPU in there, it is a buzzkill for me when my iPhone 5 is more powerful than my tablet. The iPad 4 is the perfect size, games, videos, and apps look amazing on the screen. I like the size personally better than the mini, until the mini is Retina, I can't consider it.
__________________
Late 2011 15" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz i7, 8GB RAM, 750GB HD, AMD HD6770 w/1GB VRAM
VZW iPhone 5 64GB Black/Slate
iPad 4 32GB Black Apple TV3
Beezzy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Tags
ipad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All iPads: iPad Air (32Gb) vs iPad Mini Retina (32Gb) for my GIRLFRIEND maxap iPad 31 Feb 10, 2014 11:04 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:45 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC