Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Closed Thread

Old Dec 8, 2012, 06:18 PM   #51
Salukipilot4590
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to Salukipilot4590
I remember getting a couple awards in school one month and my parents bought a toy firetruck.

That firetruck kicked ass!

...since you have disposable income....can I have $499? I did really well at work this month....100% on time!

Old Dec 8, 2012, 07:02 PM   #52
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakube View Post
I do things a little different in my house. I dont just dish out presents for nothing. I illustrate 3 options. One small present for poor effort, then one for medium effort and a top prize for best effort.
Why do you reward a poor effort?
Old Dec 8, 2012, 09:56 PM   #53
WhiteIphone5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellJones View Post
So just because he buys his 5 year old daughter an iPad for doing well in school, she is going to turn into a slag. Ok then. In all fairness you may be smart, but at 16 you have no life experience. You say girls your your age who started out his daughter with parents like him, how do you even know that, if you didn't like them, you probably didn't know them well enough to know what they got when they were 5 or how there parents rewarded them.

Will people stop telling the OP how raise his children, I think that most parents would agree they would rather their children have nice things and sacrifice there own luxuries to reward their children.

Also whoever said he is going to starve and have to pawn the ipad, not true, Britain has a social welfare system.

Also +1 for iPad mini, would work much better with smaller hands
Totally agree but for the age of 5? I'd say 8 at least in my opinion

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brradley View Post
Mental. If I did anything good when I was younger I would get a Pokemon sticker, not an iPod, and that was only a few years ago! What is she going to expect the time she does well in high school
A car.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by darngooddesign View Post
Why do you reward a poor effort?
I think there should be no reward for poor, otherwise they'll think, that they deserve something for " poor effort"
WhiteIphone5 is offline   0
Old Dec 8, 2012, 10:26 PM   #54
KieranDotW
macrumors 6502

Quote:
If my daughter had got 15% for effort (the only column of the report im interested in) then she'd have got a doll and nothing more.
Quote:
15% for effort
Quote:
15%
I'm not sure you understand what 15% means. That's 0.15, 3/20, just ****ing low. I don't know how it works in the UK but here in Canada 50% means a failure. Not failure in the colloquial sense, but failure as in not passing, having to do the grade over. 15% is a lot lower than 50%. That's barely gold star for trying level. Not give my daughter a doll most children would never dream of level.

I mean no disrespect, I'd say I'm spoiled myself. I have no problem with kids using technology either, nor am I going to complain about 12 year olds with iPods and cell phones as many people do today, because I know it was the exact same way when I was that age. I'm just honestly worried the message you're giving in terms of what these numbers mean.
KieranDotW is offline   1
Old Dec 8, 2012, 10:40 PM   #55
EMAN19
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ob81 View Post
Don't get her an iPad, get her an art table and some paint. Teach your children to produce, not to consume.
Well said.

iPad mini Wi-Fi 64GB White iPhone 4 16GB White iPod Nano 8GB Silver
EMAN19 is offline   4
Old Dec 8, 2012, 10:45 PM   #56
Eddie Bombay
macrumors 6502

Get her a mini or a 200 dollar kindle fire.
Eddie Bombay is offline   0
Old Dec 8, 2012, 11:22 PM   #57
forza69
macrumors 6502a

All I see here are bad decisions being made by OP that are going to bite him in the *** when that little girl grows up. Below average and mediocre work deserves nothing more than a good job, a pat on the back and a do better next time talk, not gadgets worth hundreds of dollars. Also seeing as OP isn't financially secure, spending this kind of money is extremely irresponsible and only teaching his daughter nothing more than, bury yourself in debt as long as you're happy. Wrong.

At 5 I was playing with Pokemon cards and marbles. Running around outside playing with my friends and a new football. Being cooped up inside the house with technology at this age is going to make that girl a hermit by the time she's an adult. I didn't own a cell phone until I was 17 and up until then, I was perfectly content with not having one.

"I dont just dish out presents for nothing." Yes you do.

"My only concern is she has an incentive to try her hardest and realizes early on that things don't grow on trees for many of us." You're pretty much teaching her the exact opposite.

"I switch on TV and watch spoilts 16 year olds getting given Ferrari's because there spoilt rotten. How could they be anything other?" Those people have the means to support their child's greediness. You don't.

"You're just digging yourself into a hole and you'll end up with a daughter that will want every goddamn thing in the world. " -AlphaDogg

Obviously at the end of the day, you're going to do whatever you want. But I'd reconsider giving her such an expensive gift as a 5 year old does not need one. Buy her a leapfrog with those learning cartridges, if anything, kids love those.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 12:42 AM   #58
ctyrider
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Just trying to instill the ethics into my daughter she will need.

Ie stick in and work hard and get qualified. I know with no good parenting behind me and no one giving a damn at all I had to do all of this later on in life and it was tough.

Im not trying to make her make up for my mistakes. More give her an environment that will equip her for the journey ahead.
Respectfully, your ideas of "instilling ethics" are completely misguided. As others have already tried explaining to you - your 5 year old daughter does NOT need a $500 tablet. Once she becomes a teenager, she will have the rest of her life to be glued to electronic gadgets. This does not need to start at the age of five.

Give her something age appropriate that can stimulate her mind and creativity - an art set, a coloring book, a trip to museum, a ticket to a play. Don't give her ridiculous gifts that are not meant for someone her age. iPad is not an appropriate gift for a five year old.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 01:33 AM   #59
EMAN19
macrumors 6502

Forza69 and ctyrider are spot on. An iPad is not age appropriate for a 5 year old. Frankly, it's ridiculous. I'm glad I didn't have all this tech as a child growing up. I think an art set would be the best thing.

iPad mini Wi-Fi 64GB White iPhone 4 16GB White iPod Nano 8GB Silver
EMAN19 is offline   2
Old Dec 9, 2012, 02:41 AM   #60
Cobster
macrumors member

She is 5....! Give her a new pencil and a book... Talk about first World problems!!
Old Dec 9, 2012, 03:19 AM   #61
F123D
macrumors 68040

I remember getting 98% as a child and my parents asking where the other 2% was.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 05:25 AM   #62
hyteckit

If I don't get straight A's, I get punished.

So the reward for getting straight A's and not getting punished.
hyteckit is offline   2
Old Dec 9, 2012, 08:20 AM   #63
davideotape
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Im not very wealthy at all. Infact thanks to the recession and loosing my job ive never been more skint. But it is my duty to reward this.
Dude please please please do not spend money you do not have to teach your child a lesson about how hard work leads to high tier consumer products. I understand you want to do everything you can for your daughter but children are smart and will learn that aspect of spending money when its not practical from you too.

Get her some of the other things suggested in this thread, and let her know how proud you are every chance you get. but the best you can do for *everyone* is to teach your child realistic rewards for the work produced, and that the feeling of accomplishment is part of the reward, establish in her a good internal sense of value, provide a strong parental role and transfer the knowledge that you care about her deeply and without a price tag. Otherwise what will happen when she hits the real world, does something incredible and even one time doesn't get her... Whatever the 18 year olds version of the ipad is- a new car?

And for people saying its his business... This is a public forum where he asked for opinions. In the end this his decision but as long as its not rude and jerky these types of opinions should be heard as well.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 08:29 AM   #64
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020

How about the op buys the pad for the family and his daughter can get time on it as a reward? Had a great day in school? Half an hour on pad before dinner. Got int trouble, no pad today. After all, she's 5. Isn't he gonna run out of things to buy for these rewards?
Mac'nCheese is offline   4
Old Dec 9, 2012, 09:07 AM   #65
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Spend your money however you want. I personally would want to ensure my kid can write with a pencil before letting them learn to type, but that's just me.
The iPad mini is a good choice I think.
GoCubsGo is offline   0
Old Dec 9, 2012, 09:38 AM   #66
Moneymiike420
macrumors regular

An ipad reward for good grades? What the heck she deserves a 32" 4k tv for $5,500 don't you all agree????? She's 5 years old get her a Barbie doll and wrapping paper
Moneymiike420 is offline   2
Old Dec 9, 2012, 09:44 AM   #67
adildacoolset
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilamite View Post
Nexus 7.
You're right, she really needs to customise her device more than she needs a simple device with a wide array of apps
Last edited by adildacoolset; Tomorrow at 09:42 AM. Reason: grammar error
adildacoolset is offline   0
Old Dec 9, 2012, 09:57 AM   #68
wordoflife
macrumors 604

Take her to toys r us and let her pick out any toy. Maybe even two.

Dont use your daughters good efforts as a rationalization for buying an iPad. Considering her age I doubt she asked for an iPad

Last edited by wordoflife; Dec 9, 2012 at 10:03 AM.
wordoflife is offline   3
Old Dec 9, 2012, 09:59 AM   #69
SeanR1
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by adildacoolset View Post
You're right, she really needs to customise her device more than she needs a simple device with a wide array of apps
She doesn't HAVE TO customize it. She could have an easier to hold device for her smaller hands at a reasonable price.
SeanR1 is offline   0
Old Dec 9, 2012, 09:59 AM   #70
Kilamite
macrumors G3

Quote:
Eh? I hardly suggested it because Android is more customisable.

Nexus 7 is $150 or so cheaper than the iPad mini.
Kilamite is offline   0
Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:02 AM   #71
adildacoolset
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanR1 View Post
She doesn't HAVE TO customize it. She could have an easier to hold device for her smaller hands at a reasonable price.
But if the ipad has more and better apps, then that makes it a better device
Last edited by adildacoolset; Tomorrow at 09:42 AM. Reason: grammar error
adildacoolset is offline   0
Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:18 AM   #72
SeanR1
macrumors 6502

Quote:
But if the ipad has more and better apps, then that makes it a better device
Better is subjective, but it's the OP's money, he certainly will do what he wants.
SeanR1 is offline   0
Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:19 AM   #73
nehope
macrumors member

Quote:
You realize we are talking about a 5 year-old, right?
nehope is offline   0
Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:52 AM   #74
syd430

Quote:
One small present for poor effort.
Why?
Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:58 AM   #75
mattfab
macrumors member

Ridiculous

I was honestly shocked when I saw this thread. Like really? A 98% in effort in what pre-school, and your gonna go out and buy an iPad for your 5 year old daughter when you're about to lose your job? I bet like 90% of 5 year olds get a 98% or better for effort in pre school because, hey , ITS PRE-SCHOOL. Im in high school now, and if I were to get honor roll right now, most i would get is probably 50 bucks. This is why people are losing there homes and everything, useless spending. I'm not trying to sound mean or anything, but this is just ridiculous, especiually when your not even wealthy.

----------

And one more thing, like the poster above me just said, one small present for poor effort, thats rewarding her for doing bad. anyone with any common sense would know that rewarding someone for doing poorly, especially at age 5, will not have any god outcome, so I wouldnt be suprised if your daughter in 5 years from now will be doing bad in school
mattfab is offline   5

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad