Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 8, 2012, 10:21 AM   #1
Tulani
macrumors 6502

Smartphone era

Do you still use your iPhone as that conventional calling device? I have found that to be getting less relevant as more Apps offer alternative to forms of communication like instant messaging and social interaction. Perhaps also saving on the ever draining battery?
Tulani is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 10:54 AM   #2
aerok
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulani View Post
Do you still use your iPhone as that conventional calling device? I have found that to be getting less relevant as more Apps offer alternative to forms of communication like instant messaging and social interaction. Perhaps also saving on the ever draining battery?
Yup my habits have not changed since 2003, I still call as often as I did before. I just communicate to a lot more people now. (Which I find annoying)
Old Dec 8, 2012, 10:56 AM   #3
raf66
macrumors regular

I, too, use it for various computing needs, but it is a "phone" and I use it as such. I'm not a big texter.
raf66 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 11:08 AM   #4
Jordan921
macrumors 68030

I text more often then anything.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 11:11 AM   #5
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

I'm more of a texter not a caller.
tymaster50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 02:10 PM   #6
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Mr Bobb 2012 Etiquette: Voice calling during the work week should be for things that need attention RIGHT NOW, everything else text.

Do not MMS me any little cute kitten picture u find, u may end up in my spam box.
Mrbobb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 02:57 PM   #7
Duckit
macrumors regular

I don't call much. I mostly use text messaging and instant messaging.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 03:20 PM   #8
TG1
macrumors 6502a

My fiancée and my parents still demand the use of the good old phone part of my device.
TG1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 03:55 PM   #9
MarcBook
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbobb View Post
Mr Bobb 2012 Etiquette: Voice calling during the work week should be for things that need attention RIGHT NOW, everything else text.
I agree with this. For me also, calling is usually for stuff that requires immediate attention (or a good catch-up etc.), whereas messaging is for the more normal, less pressing communications.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 03:59 PM   #10
GeorgieAcevedo
macrumors 6502a

Not much of a caller, I just talk to my girlfriend every night but we rather voice call through Skype. The call quality sounds SO MUCH BETTER. Maybe I'll be a caller when wifi calling is actually a big thing.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 04:03 PM   #11
ixodes
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulani View Post
I read a survey (sorry no link) that revealed most users do very little calling with their smartphones. Most prefer to email, text, use social, or IM. No surprise especially for those who work in an office and can communicate more discreetly than talking on the phone.

Because of my disappointment with iPhone 5, I am seriously considering using my Nexus 7 instead. It has the perfect amount of screen real estate, whereas the iP5 is just too tiny. I would then revert to one of my small feature phones, activated just for the occasional phone call.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone