Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
Im curious about this. I happen to have 50 documents in my "documents" folder, but I only use 5 of them everyday. So I create 5 Alias for them and save them in a "Alias" folder. Moreover, I put this "Alias" folder in my dock, as a Stack. This provide me quick acess to them

The point is that I click the "alias" everyday, but not the original files. Im sure Fusion Drive is gonna put the "Alias" in the SSD, but will it do too with the original files?

Some of these files are quite big, take time to load, and I would apreciate them in the SSD...

rhoydotp

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2006
by clicking on the alias, the original file is also accessed. this makes both accessed at the same frequency and therefore be a good candidate for getting into the SSD, in theory of course.

did Apple release a whitepaper for Fusion Drive? I'm interested to see their algorithm.

----------

It's a file.....

S-

you might want to explain why it's a file instead of just telling someone that it is. it sounds like you are trying to be superior than others.

... like everything in Unix is a file, just different types, right?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
It's a file.....

S-

Genuine question, can you prove this, I am not saying you are not right but I believe it's just a link in the directory like a folder.
I say this because if you try to open the alias or get info on it it's the original which shows up, not the alias.
A file is in the file structure, an alias is to my knowledge not and as I said before is in the directory.

You might want to explain why it's a file instead of just telling someone that it is. it sounds like you are trying to be superior than others.

... like everything in Unix is a file, just different types, right?

Is it?
Is a reference in the directory a file or a menu item a file?

To further explain is a line in a text file a file?

BTW, I am not offended by sidewinder, I just want him to explain why he think it's a file while I think it is not.

Last edited:

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Genuine question, can you prove this, I am not saying you are not right but I believe it's just a link in the directory like a folder.
I say this because if you try to open the alias or get info on it it's the original which shows up, not the alias.
A file is in the file structure, an alias is to my knowledge not and as I said before is in the directory.

You sure about that? Because that's the opposite of what really happens…
Screen%20Shot%202012-12-08%20at%2010.50.20%20PM.PNG

Might wanna rethink that logic there.

jW

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
My threads always start with a question and end up in battles....what the?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
You sure about that? Because that's the opposite of what really happens…
Screen%20Shot%202012-12-08%20at%2010.50.20%20PM.PNG

Might wanna rethink that logic there.

jW

Yeah, I tried with making an alias and a symlink, an alias is a fair bit more than the original while a symlink only is 4 Kb.

Guess I am wrong here, did not look at the difference in size of original and alias/symlink.

you might not believe me but at least some University folks talking about Unix 101 :)

http://accc.uic.edu/service/shell-accounts/basic-unix

Found out myself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.