Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Old Dec 8, 2012, 11:10 AM   #1
malch
macrumors 6502

Mac Pro 2010 not starting up... any advice?

Hi there,
I just unplugged a 23" Dell display, and plugged in a 24" display instead.
Then hit a key on the keyboard to wake up my Mac Pro, and it wouldn't wake.
I held the power button down until it turned off, and then hit it again... heard the chime, see the apple on the grey screen, along with the spinning thing and a progress bar just below that...
But when the progress bar (finally) gets to the end (it slows way down for the last little sliver), the Mac Pro shuts itself off.

pertinent info: 2010 Mac Pro 6-core, 24GB RAM, Mercury Accelsior SSD launch drive.

thanks for any help! I unplugged the Mac Pro for ten seconds, but that didn't help.
malch
malch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 11:28 AM   #2
All Taken
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by malch View Post
Hi there,
I just unplugged a 23" Dell display, and plugged in a 24" display instead.
Then hit a key on the keyboard to wake up my Mac Pro, and it wouldn't wake.
I held the power button down until it turned off, and then hit it again... heard the chime, see the apple on the grey screen, along with the spinning thing and a progress bar just below that...
But when the progress bar (finally) gets to the end (it slows way down for the last little sliver), the Mac Pro shuts itself off.

pertinent info: 2010 Mac Pro 6-core, 24GB RAM, Mercury Accelsior SSD launch drive.

thanks for any help! I unplugged the Mac Pro for ten seconds, but that didn't help.
malch
Have you tried a PRAM reset?
All Taken is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 11:32 AM   #3
malch
macrumors 6502

I'll give it a try.
Thanks for the suggestion!
Old Dec 8, 2012, 12:03 PM   #4
malch
macrumors 6502

No, resetting the PRAM, and reset the SMC... and neither worked.
Also tried a Safe Boot. Same thing... grey screen with Apple logo, and progress bar below; the progress bar gets to the end and the Mac Pro shuts off.
I think I'm going to have to take the machine in to Apple, unfortunately.
Anyone have any other ideas?
malch
Old Dec 8, 2012, 12:25 PM   #5
All Taken
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
No, resetting the PRAM, and reset the SMC... and neither worked.
Also tried a Safe Boot. Same thing... grey screen with Apple logo, and progress bar below; the progress bar gets to the end and the Mac Pro shuts off.
I think I'm going to have to take the machine in to Apple, unfortunately.
Anyone have any other ideas?
malch
Does it still work with the old monitor?
All Taken is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 02:00 PM   #6
malch
macrumors 6502

I took the Mac Pro into an Apple Repair place, and the guy said my Accelsior SSD is the problem, and he recommends getting it replaced. After doing something in the back of the shop, he did manage to get it to mount, which was good news. I've since brought the machine home, successfully launched, and copied some files that didn't make it to the last Time Machine backup, so that's a relief.
I've now shut it down again, and relaunched. It's now behaving nicely again!
Do you think it was just some fluke thing that happened because I plugged in a new display... and that now I can trust it again? (of course I'll back up regularly)
malch
Old Dec 8, 2012, 03:37 PM   #7
aminadab
macrumors regular

Quote:
I took the Mac Pro into an Apple Repair place, and the guy said my Accelsior SSD is the problem, and he recommends getting it replaced. After doing something in the back of the shop, he did manage to get it to mount, which was good news. I've since brought the machine home, successfully launched, and copied some files that didn't make it to the last Time Machine backup, so that's a relief.
I've now shut it down again, and relaunched. It's now behaving nicely again!
Do you think it was just some fluke thing that happened because I plugged in a new display... and that now I can trust it again? (of course I'll back up regularly)
malch
This happened to my Accelsior drives before they failed to mount entirely. My advice is to save as much as you can and get in touch with OWC.
aminadab is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 03:55 PM   #8
malch
macrumors 6502

Thanks... good advice. I'll do that.
Regards,
malch

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro