Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Dec 8, 2012, 12:20 PM   #1
Amplelink
macrumors 6502

iPad mini bezel too thin for reading ebooks

So recently, I've been trying to shift from my Kindle to my mini for reading. The screen is fine for me, but I've come across a different issue. I like holding ebook readers in portrait mode - just looks and feels more natural to me. The problem is that the mini is significantly harder to hold in portrait mode than a Kindle is simply owing to the much narrower bezel. I find myself having to grip the mini on the fat bezels on the bottom instead.

The other alternative is to just grip the mini with my entire hand across the back. But that gets sort of tiring after a while. And I'm looking for a back cover like the Caudabe Shell that I have for the big iPad, but I'm afraid if I put something like that on, it'll be even tougher to grip in that position.

Anyone else have this issue?
Amplelink is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 01:11 PM   #2
random person
macrumors 6502a

I am having similar issues. My hands are a tad too small to cradle the entire mini in one hand. Lately I am holding it from the bottom but that feels top heavy after a while. Not the easiest device to hold, that's for sure! That said, I still think the interface and overall experience is far better than any other ereader out there, including the kindle paperwhite that I also own.

I am curious how others at holding this device!
Old Dec 8, 2012, 01:14 PM   #3
canyonblue737
macrumors 6502a

The mini has excellent software changes that ignore a thumb held in place over the screen. Grip the screen like it has a bigger bezel and use your other hand to swipe... it will work fine.
canyonblue737 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 03:15 PM   #4
AppleRobert
macrumors 68030

Cross one leg halfway over the other to cradle the mini. VIOLA!
AppleRobert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 03:47 PM   #5
Night Spring
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyonblue737 View Post
The mini has excellent software changes that ignore a thumb held in place over the screen. Grip the screen like it has a bigger bezel and use your other hand to swipe... it will work fine.
This works for the most part. The trick is to put your thumb down and keep it there. You still have to be careful not to brush your thumb against the screen, as that will flip several pages at once.
Night Spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 08:29 PM   #6
Kayakphotos
macrumors member

I use a folio case and hold the mini in portrait mode opened up like a regular book.
iPhone 6 64gb silver (awaiting shipment)
Kayakphotos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 08:51 PM   #7
Amplelink
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by random person View Post
I am having similar issues. My hands are a tad too small to cradle the entire mini in one hand. Lately I am holding it from the bottom but that feels top heavy after a while. Not the easiest device to hold, that's for sure! That said, I still think the interface and overall experience is far better than any other ereader out there, including the kindle paperwhite that I also own.

I am curious how others at holding this device!
I agree. I like my Kindle and it works a lot better outdoors, but the software on it is maddening at times. For example, wading through my library takes ages if I'm looking for a book at the end of the list. Much, much easier on the iPad's Kindle app.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 09:22 PM   #8
iosuser
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyonblue737 View Post
Think the op meant that the gripping hand is blocking the screen. I feel the same way, but this is what you get on a tablet with thin bezel.
iosuser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 09:33 PM   #9
aPple nErd
macrumors 68020

thisis part of the reason i returned mine and went with the ipad 3rd generation
aPple nErd is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 11:21 PM   #10
midwestfisherma
macrumors 6502

I have not had that problem.
midwestfisherma is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 11:43 PM   #11
irDigital0l

your holding it wrong!

/jk
irDigital0l is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 12:23 AM   #12
Bakari45
macrumors regular

The smart cover provides a pretty good grip for me; however, I think a thicker folio what help even more.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 03:39 AM   #13
Zetaprime
macrumors 6502a

I looked at the mini and the nexus 7..The shape of the nexus is better for holding in one hand and reading, and it's half the price for the same amount of memory (32 gigs). So when I wanted a more portable tablet to supplement my ipad 3 I went with the nexus. Also, it runs Firefox and Flash, so it's nice for web browsing. Android does have its advantages. Nearly all the apps and games I use on the iPad are also available for Android, so there's really no 'app gap'.

Last edited by Zetaprime; Dec 9, 2012 at 03:49 AM. Reason: add more comments
Zetaprime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 04:13 AM   #14
bagelmaker
macrumors member

I agree with those who recommended a case to you. I use a simple folio case and I just fold it back when I read. It feels very similar to a book to me and I don't end up blocking any of the screen in portrait mode. You can find inexpensive cases on Amazon. Mine was about$10.

I've never owned a Kindle so I can't compare it to that experience, and I do admit that I still find that I prefer regular paperback books. However, reading on the Mini is very user friendly.
bagelmaker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 04:18 AM   #15
sinser
macrumors 6502a

That's why I hope they never change the bezel size and aspect radio of the full sized iPad. It's just perfect.
sinser is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 04:49 AM   #16
Max(IT)
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleRobert View Post
Cross one leg halfway over the other to cradle the mini. VIOLA!
If you are a men, this isn't a great solution ...
Nokia Lumia 1520 - 32Gb
Max(IT) is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 07:25 AM   #17
marcfiszman
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max(IT) View Post
Men lacking legs?
marcfiszman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 11:35 AM   #18
AppleRobert
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max(IT) View Post
I didn't say cross one completely over the other like women do when they sit down especially with a dress on.

Picture crossing one halfway to about where your calf starts unless you ain't flexible enough where it is uncomfortable. It works great, like Mini table!
Old Dec 9, 2012, 11:59 AM   #19
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by irDigital0l View Post
your holding it wrong!

/jk
You're using your incorrectly. ;-)
darngooddesign is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 05:54 PM   #20
Amplelink
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetaprime View Post
I looked at the mini and the nexus 7..The shape of the nexus is better for holding in one hand and reading, and it's half the price for the same amount of memory (32 gigs). So when I wanted a more portable tablet to supplement my ipad 3 I went with the nexus. Also, it runs Firefox and Flash, so it's nice for web browsing. Android does have its advantages. Nearly all the apps and games I use on the iPad are also available for Android, so there's really no 'app gap'.
I agree that the Nexus feels better for reading because of the thicker bezels. But, man, it looks like absolute crap, particular the top and bottom bezels which are just huge. The fact that Android uses soft buttons just exacerbates the look. Just my opinion, of course.

I have a smart cover on my mini and that doesn't help much at all. Actually, it makes the experience worse because the smart cover ends up sliding on the back of the mini when I fold the smart cover behind. I might invest in a folio case......or maybe just stick with my Kindle.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 11:25 PM   #21
Zetaprime
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amplelink View Post
I agree that the Nexus feels better for reading because of the thicker bezels. But, man, it looks like absolute crap, particular the top and bottom bezels which are just huge. The fact that Android uses soft buttons just exacerbates the look. Just my opinion, of course.

I have a smart cover on my mini and that doesn't help much at all. Actually, it makes the experience worse because the smart cover ends up sliding on the back of the mini when I fold the smart cover behind. I might invest in a folio case......or maybe just stick with my Kindle.
I don't think it looks bad. If you want one that looks bad the Kindle Fire looks awful. The screen is the same size as the Nexus but the bezel is ridiculously huge and makes the device much bigger than it needs to be.
Zetaprime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:56 AM   #22
Max(IT)
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcfiszman View Post
Men lacking legs?
Men have something between ....

Seriously, I can't sit comfortably with legs crossed like women do, so I was joking about that.
Nokia Lumia 1520 - 32Gb
Max(IT) is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:03 AM   #23
AppleRobert
macrumors 68030

Quote:
I don't think it looks bad. If you want one that looks bad the Kindle Fire looks awful. The screen is the same size as the Nexus but the bezel is ridiculously huge and makes the device much bigger than it needs to be.
I have the 7" kfhd. I can live with it but going to the larger 8.9 model even with the much improved screen I will not go for with its bezel.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:05 AM   #24
NT1440
macrumors G3

Quote:
I'll take the aspect ratio that actually looks like a book in my hands. I hate reading on 16:9 screens.
NT1440 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:05 PM   #25
Dekard
macrumors 6502

I got the dodocase for the ipad mini, the new sticker back is awesome. It's the 3m tape and holds the ipad in without leaving sticky residue on the ipad mini and gives it a book/notebook feel. I had one for my ipad2 but it broke and I was really iffed at them with teh bamboo tray, but this is awesome for me now.

Thumb resize.

Last edited by Dekard; Dec 10, 2012 at 02:13 PM.
Dekard is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad