Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 24, 2011
I've had an iPhone for 3 years, but I've never jailbroken mine. So I have no idea how it looks like when it is jailbroken.

If I'm buying someone's used iPhone, how can I tell that it's not jailbroken? Because if it's jailbroken, they can probably unlock it, but that unlock will only be temporary... I want to avoid that.

Also, if they say it's factory unlocked iPhone, how can I verify that? Is the only way to insert two different SIM cards and make sure it works with both, or is there an easier way?

Last edited:

paulbennett95

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
Long Island, NY
I've had an iPhone for 3 years, but I've never jailbroken mine. So I have no idea how it looks like when it is jailbroken.

If I'm buying someone's used iPhone, how can I tell that it's not jailbroken? Because if it's jailbroken, they can probably unlock it, but that unlock will only be temporary... I want to avoid that.

Also, if they say it's factory unlocked iPhone, how can I verify that? Is the only way to insert two different SIM cards and make sure it works with both?
Well for jailbreak, if its an A5+ with ios 6, it can't be jailbroken, and if there's a Cydia app or something, it is. Just restore it via iTunes and update to ios 6 and it'll get rid of any jailbreak.

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 24, 2011
Well for jailbreak, if its an A5+ with ios 6, it can't be jailbroken, and if there's a Cydia app or something, it is. Just restore it via iTunes and update to ios 6 and it'll get rid of any jailbreak.
Thanks!

So the Cydia app is always there if it's jailbroken, there's no way to hide it, right?

Lefty29

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2010
Thanks!

So the Cydia app is always there if it's jailbroken, there's no way to hide it, right?

When it comes to jailbreaking, there's always a way to do something, including hiding Cydia. Your best bet would be to hook it up to a computer and examine it with an app like iPhone Explorer to see if you have root access to the folders on the phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.