Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

connorbrasnell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2012
Hello,

I have decided that I want to buy a Macbook Pro (I don't think I will want a Macbook Air), but I do not know which one to buy.

I will be going to University soon and so will need to carry the laptop around quite a lot. I will, for the majority of the time, be using it for basic web browsing, watching a lot of YouTube videos, BBC iPlayer etc, and listening to a lot of music. The sound quality of the laptop does not concern me because I will usually be using my earphones to listen to audio. I may also play some games such as Minecraft, just casual games.

In addition to this, I will be doing a lot of programming (C++ and Java), programming simple applications up to home made games for a Computer Science degree as well as for fun. I will also be doing some photo editing on Photoshop for the next two years or so, and perhaps after for fun. Nothing too intensive, mainly some basic editing.

I have used the 2012 model Macbook Pro 13 inch and I have loved them so far. I am at the moment not sure about which of the Macbooks to get, for example which 13 inch to get, the one with the i5 processor, which at a later date I would potentially upgrade the RAM to 8GB and replace the HDD with an SSD. Or the i7 processor, again in the future possibly replacing the HDD with an SSD.

What should I get?

Thank you,
Connor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.