Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

netdog

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
London
Having used iTunes 11 for a bit, I thought I'd come here and find dozens of threads trashing it. Truth be told, I was hoping to get the opportunity to join in the venting and to pick up some ticks.

Anyway, I am not seeing those threads, so I am forced to create one.

Am I the only one who hates the way that the interface has been dumbed down?

I have a pretty large music library, something over 23,000 songs, and the amount of data to browse through and sort by was really useful.

Now I find that the app is really designed to be browsed like a jukebox full of covers, and accessing the amount of data I used to seems pretty challenging. When I see, for instance, that I have a song both in the cloud and locally being offered in my local library, I have to jump through little hoops to see which is higher resolution etc.

Am I missing something or has 11 brought us iTunes for Dummies? Or am I the dummy who just doesn't know how to use the app yet, and really it's brilliant?

HELP

JoeRito

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
New England, USA
Allow me to answer: yes!

But seriously, I recommend giving it some time. Nice new features, fresh look and performance improvements make it a winner for me.

wgnoyes

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2011
I don't hate it; I just want the album art to be larger. It's tiny on a 27" screen.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
I dont have that large of a library so I don't face those problems. I have a small library - maybe 5 GB's. All in all, I love the 11. It's very polished and easy to use for me.

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2012
I like it. It will be improved with time for anything that is lacking or is recommended

finepiks

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2012
I hate it. Constant crashing and a GUI that's more at home on a PC! Gone back to 10.7, although slower with a large collection at least it works!

kaldezar

macrumors regular
May 28, 2008
London, England
Pos

As steve jobs might have said it's a POS.
Looks very pretty but so much is bad, for instance albums occurring twice with one album having one song and the rest on the other, the rolling stones and rolling stones merging them into one another has taken me about 30 laborious minutes. Right now i am trying to import mp3's of Blonde on Blonde....no dice!
WTF, the maps cock up, then this I may have to reconsider my investment in Apple Inc!http://cdn.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/confused.gif

----------

Allow me to answer: yes!

But seriously, I recommend giving it some time. Nice new features, fresh look and performance improvements make it a winner for me.

I agree with the original poster it really is itunes for dummies, really dumbed down and very difficult to edit and keep your library in some semblance of order.

OldRhodie

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2012
Belfast
I also think it's a POS. Apple have not addressed the frustrations of users who ave large libraries of classical music.

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
It's another piece of Apple software for me to dump unless they get the missing features/bugs fixed fairly soon

and give me an option to turn this annoying up next feature off

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
Straight up POS. Tim Cook is a nerd AND dumb, which shouldn't be possible. Apple is no more.

--

...and IT11 is hardly an isolated instance. OS 10.7 is a counter-intuitive mess. The retina display macbook is pitifully slow. Then there's maps. Now the new imac is a non upgradeable turd. As are all the new macbooks.

Fortunately, I can now buy previous models at a sharp discount while the unsuspecting masses flock like sheep to the turd store with the apple logo.

This has turned me off to apple big time. I want to see them fail. Sadly, google, and microsoft are churning out far worse. It's a race to the bottom, boys, who gets there first?

Last edited:

Neverywhere

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2012
Hate it! Coverflow ...i want it back...and i want the shuffle function back without having to make a playlist...

Scrolling does not work properly...wish i could go back to the last version.

Also , why did they not bring a solution for multiple artists cd ?

They repaired something that wasn't broken....and now we are left with a mess.

touchmonkey

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
I can't find where it displays the size of multiple selected files, or even the size of a playlist. Important to me for squeezing music onto my devices.

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
I can't find where it displays the size of multiple selected files, or even the size of a playlist. Important to me for squeezing music onto my devices.

View -> Show StatusBar

Will then show the size of selected items or complete playlist if nothing selected at the bottom

msandersen

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2003
Sydney, Australia
I haven't used it that extensively yet, but I like what I see so far; it is faster and very responsive. It's just laid out differently, I think for the better, other things just different. Cover flow, didn't use it in iTunes, so not fussed. I do use it on my iPod/iPhone though. They might as well have kept it as an option though. As for the other things mentioned here; Shuffle is still there, along with the other organisational features of previous iTunes, I have no issue with my multiple-artist (compilation) CDs, they are shown together as in the previous version, so hardly dumbing down. I suspect some people just don't like change; it can be jarring having to figure out where things are again.

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
I wish I could figure out how to find the replacement for iTunes DJ and getting it to play higher rated songs more often when in shuffle mode

All I see now is a dumb shuffle that just goes through each song in a random order playing once

finepiks

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2012
wish i could go back to the last version

OK, first of all (assuming you on OSX10 +) make sure you're logged in as admin, navigate to the Application folder and right or option click iTunes.app and select "Get Info". Click the padlock, enter your password and change all the permissions to read and write. Close "Get Info" and simply delete the iTunes app.

Google iTunes 10.7 DMG and download it. Google and download Pacifist. It's shareware so when launched a timer will start and you'll have to wait a few seconds to use it, then a couple of pop ups will appear asking if you want to install some extras, choose to ignore them. Once Pacifist is open click the "Open Package" button and navigate to the iTunes DMG. In the window that appears click on the "Contents of Install iTunes.pkg" to highlight it. Then on the top left of the Pacifist window there is a downward arrow marked "Install". Click on that and let Pacifist run. Several pop ups will appear - choose to "Replace" to all.

When the installation has finished make sure iTunes is not open then navigate to your "Music/iTunes" folder. In that folder is a file named "iTunes Library.itl" - delete it. Then in the sub folder named "Previous iTunes Libraries" you'll see files with dates in the filename i.e. "iTunes Library 2012-12-05.itl". Copy and paste the one with the latest date to the main iTunes folder, where you deleted the previous .itl file, and rename it to remove the date.

Finally in the Apps/Utilities folder you'll find Disk Utility. Launch it and select the hard disk "Mac", then click the button "Repair Disk Permissions". This will take around 5 minutes or more (despite it saying it will take 2 minutes!!) and you'll see it repairing a lot of iTunes files but be patient it will finish. When done close Disk Utility and I'd suggest a reboot (although I didn't) and launch iTunes. You might need to sign in to your account again but maybe not and all should be good!!!

Neverywhere

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2012
Finepicks@

This version of i-tunes is on a music-only pc i use in my stereo chain..:(

I do own a powermac...use that for recording music...

Yujenisis

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2002
Am I the only one who hates the way that the interface has been dumbed down?

Most of my immediate frustrations were fixed by going to the menu bar:

View > Show Status Bar
View > Show Sidebar

They brought back the colored sidebar icons that they killed in iTunes 10. This makes me happy. They also made it insanely easy to toggle whether you can see your iTunes Match songs not stored locally (View > Hide Music in the Cloud).

I actually prefer it now to iTunes 10. Although it is beyond me why they did not simply enable the above options automatically for those upgrading and force the questionable interface changes on the new people.

iLuvMyMacToo

macrumors regular
May 18, 2010
Australia
Bring back Cover Flow and I don't like the way my Books library is now sorted. I use to view them in category groups and choose the cover for each category (much like in iPhoto) now all I can do is have a list sorted in categories.

This version of iTunes feels very dumbed down to me.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
I love it. iTunes has sucked for years, I can't remember the last time it had improvement like this version.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
iTunes 11 is to iTunes 10.7 what Airport Utility 6 is to Airport Utility 5.6 - those who know what I am talking about will understand my point.

And for those who don't, the point is even clearer: iTunes 11 is a piece of ****.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.