Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:22 PM   #1
itsjustmeee
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Applecare and a replacement Macbook Air..

From what I understand, applecare doesn't "reset" itself with a defective iPhone 5 that needs to be replaced but what about a Macbook Air? In my case, I had a mid '11 that I purchased in march. It needed to be replaced a couple of months later and they gave me a mid '12 model. Did the warranty reset itself with the newer model? It seems to me like it should since it's actually a totally different computer.
itsjustmeee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:25 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeee View Post
From what I understand, applecare doesn't "reset" itself with a defective iPhone 5 that needs to be replaced but what about a Macbook Air? In my case, I had a mid '11 that I purchased in march. It needed to be replaced a couple of months later and they gave me a mid '12 model. Did the warranty reset itself with the newer model? It seems to me like it should since it's actually a totally different computer.
No, your AppleCare agreement is still limited to 3 years from the date of purchase of your original MBA. It doesn't start over with a replacement. You can check your remaining warranty and/or AppleCare coverage here
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:02 PM   #3
itsjustmeee
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
No, your AppleCare agreement is still limited to 3 years from the date of purchase of your original MBA. It doesn't start over with a replacement. You can check your remaining warranty and/or AppleCare coverage here
Oddly enough, I just checked. Both Airs show up. The original shows a June 5th expiration date and my mid '12 replacement with an "estimated expiration date: august 1, 2013" so somehow it looks like it did start over. Interesting.
itsjustmeee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:07 PM   #4
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeee View Post
Oddly enough, I just checked. Both Airs show up. The original shows a June 5th expiration date and my mid '12 replacement with an "estimated expiration date: august 1, 2013" so somehow it looks like it did start over. Interesting.
It didn't start over. If it had, your expiration date would be 3 years from the replacement date.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:17 PM   #5
itsjustmeee
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
It didn't start over. If it had, your expiration date would be 3 years from the replacement date.
I don't have Applecare, just the 1 year warranty. If it didn't start over, why is the projected expiration date sept 1, 2013 for the replacement when I bought the original one on june 5th?
itsjustmeee is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:10 PM   #6
Johnny Alien
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeee View Post
I don't have Applecare, just the 1 year warranty. If it didn't start over, why is the projected expiration date sept 1, 2013 for the replacement when I bought the original one on june 5th?
The standard warranty will be a year from purchase. In this case of the second laptop you will get a full year warranty from the day you got it. Applecare is an extended warranty though and it will not reset for a new computer.
Johnny Alien is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:17 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC