Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:22 PM   #1
itsjustmeee
macrumors 6502a

Applecare and a replacement Macbook Air..

From what I understand, applecare doesn't "reset" itself with a defective iPhone 5 that needs to be replaced but what about a Macbook Air? In my case, I had a mid '11 that I purchased in march. It needed to be replaced a couple of months later and they gave me a mid '12 model. Did the warranty reset itself with the newer model? It seems to me like it should since it's actually a totally different computer.
itsjustmeee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:25 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeee View Post
From what I understand, applecare doesn't "reset" itself with a defective iPhone 5 that needs to be replaced but what about a Macbook Air? In my case, I had a mid '11 that I purchased in march. It needed to be replaced a couple of months later and they gave me a mid '12 model. Did the warranty reset itself with the newer model? It seems to me like it should since it's actually a totally different computer.
No, your AppleCare agreement is still limited to 3 years from the date of purchase of your original MBA. It doesn't start over with a replacement. You can check your remaining warranty and/or AppleCare coverage here
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:02 PM   #3
itsjustmeee
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
No, your AppleCare agreement is still limited to 3 years from the date of purchase of your original MBA. It doesn't start over with a replacement. You can check your remaining warranty and/or AppleCare coverage here
Oddly enough, I just checked. Both Airs show up. The original shows a June 5th expiration date and my mid '12 replacement with an "estimated expiration date: august 1, 2013" so somehow it looks like it did start over. Interesting.
itsjustmeee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:07 PM   #4
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Oddly enough, I just checked. Both Airs show up. The original shows a June 5th expiration date and my mid '12 replacement with an "estimated expiration date: august 1, 2013" so somehow it looks like it did start over. Interesting.
It didn't start over. If it had, your expiration date would be 3 years from the replacement date.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:17 PM   #5
itsjustmeee
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
It didn't start over. If it had, your expiration date would be 3 years from the replacement date.
I don't have Applecare, just the 1 year warranty. If it didn't start over, why is the projected expiration date sept 1, 2013 for the replacement when I bought the original one on june 5th?
itsjustmeee is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:10 PM   #6
Johnny Alien
macrumors member

Quote:
I don't have Applecare, just the 1 year warranty. If it didn't start over, why is the projected expiration date sept 1, 2013 for the replacement when I bought the original one on june 5th?
The standard warranty will be a year from purchase. In this case of the second laptop you will get a full year warranty from the day you got it. Applecare is an extended warranty though and it will not reset for a new computer.
Johnny Alien is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air