Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

werthan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2012
Hello,
I have been a windows user my entire life, and just bought an iMac. Very excited. Now trying to consolidate digital life. We currently have:

1 iPad
2 iPhones
1 Roku
1 Dell Windows 7 laptop (wife will not let this go)
1 Dropcam

We are shopping both for one or more routers and a backup solution. (We will likely need two routers because, while our house is not very big, we have dead spots upstairs and downstairs.)

I was originally just going to get a 3TB Time Capsule. It is very appealing because of the simplicity.

However, I just ran across the ioSafe N2, which appears to be synology in a fireproof box. It is appealing (simply because I would not worry about losing all the family photos, tax records, music etc.) as much. We have scanned everything over the years, so losing our digital records would be a mess. So the solution here would be the N2 with one or more AEBSs.

I know no one can really advise on the N2 since it hasn't been released yet, but wondering what people think about the options generally.

I am really out of my element here. Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

jelwell

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2003
I bought the N2. I have a Time capsule, and when the hard drive in it failed (as drives inevitably do), it's not replaceable. You have to replace your backup system & router at the same time. On the other hand, the N2 is not (that I know of) a wireless router.

Also, if you're prone to putting files directly on your time capsule - it offers no backup system for those files. The N2 is raided, so not only are your backups, backed up; but any stray files you upload to the file share are also backed up. I made this mistake when my Time Capsule hard drive failed - all my files stored on it for sharing on the home network were lost.

The N2 is also a big improvement over other fireproof drives in that the drives are replaceable. Every fire proof drive I've owned would fail due to hard drives before any fire tried to destroy them.
Joseph Elwell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.