Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 9, 2012, 09:42 AM   #76
FlatlinerG
macrumors 6502a

This would be an amazing addition to the AppleTV. Now all it needs is the ability to buy channels and FaceTime support and it will be one amazing product.
...and many more.
FlatlinerG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 09:42 AM   #77
N8ROD
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by APlotdevice View Post
I find that I frequently have to reset my router in order for the remote app to recognize other devices on my network.
I was having similar issues. I found it was the pos Aris modem/router Comcast supplied. I had them put it in bridge mode, hooked my own router up and haven't had a problem since.
N8ROD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 09:47 AM   #78
hagar
macrumors regular

no apps

why does everybody keep referring to apps? There’s no way Apple is going to release a SDK for ATV. Every use case described above can already be done. Watching Hulu or other video sources, playing games, reading web pages, … It can all be done with the most expensive remote in the world: your iPhone/iPad and Airplay.

I’m sure Apple is carefully watching if any innovations happen. And not a lot is going on. Developers should first invest more in apps where the screen on your TV is different than on your iOS device (one of the few examples I know of are the games Asphalt 6 and 7).
hagar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 09:49 AM   #79
adm.hpe
macrumors member

Woohoo, this is the only thing I didn't like about Apple TV!

Perfect.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 09:49 AM   #80
dnjmarlboro
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagar View Post
why does everybody keep referring to apps? .
Plex and/or ATV Flash Player...
dnjmarlboro is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 09:50 AM   #81
MacAddict1978
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by profets View Post
About time.. Been able to do this for a while with my jailbroken Apple TV. Very convenient.

Feels like there's so much potential for the Apple TV but I guess they're moving cautiously.

It's always seemed odd to me that Apple has not unleashed a more feature rich experience to the apple tv. Google and Boxee are in the right ball park, they're just not packing the stands. Apple could trump them in user experience if they'd get off their arses. But below is why they won't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addictive View Post
If Apple TV is going to be the next big thing for Apple and it seems from the hints that Tim Cook is dropping that this is what they might be focusing on the three crucial factors will be:

1. Content - Apple can't do anything much more than they are doing at the moment until content producers/broadcasters agree on how to split future revenue.

2. Third Party Apps. This could be revolutionary - but the interest in it from the developer community would be huge and Apple's walled garden would keep it safe.

3 Siri on your Apple TV. I think this could become a new way of watching tv. Instead of channel surfing through tedious channels and shows you never watch you simply ask Siri what is on TV that you like and then various shows you like will be presented to you for you to make a choice. Siri will learn your viewing habits so it will become smarter and then all the shows will be tied to information on the internet. You are watching a film then other films with those actors will be suggested.
See, I don't think the $99 ATV will ever see these things. We know Apple is poised to enter the television market with tv sets.... I think they are holding back on all these things to make whatever product they put out more compelling. Why buy their television set (or receiver as some rumors cite) if you can have all that jazz for $99? In the world of cupertino, they wouldn't do that. They held back Siri from the iPhone 4 to force you to buy new hardware for a feature that has been proven to work just fine on hacked devices. That's just not the apple way. (Possibly apps, because that generates money... but the $99 box has only so much storage space and power under the hood.)

We will see an app store, and siri, and lots of great features... but I don't believe we will ever seem them on the $99 ATV. It's not the Apple way.

You'll either get that glory by buying an apple television set, or if they are able to get carriers to go for an apple receiver as some rumors suggest there (and you know that box will not be $99.)
MacAddict1978 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 09:58 AM   #82
carlgo
macrumors 68000

I'll buy anything that eliminates passwords. Passwords on an ATV, what a joke. Ooooh, some criminals might break in and watch Hillbilly Handfishing...
carlgo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:01 AM   #83
embraceware
macrumors newbie

I'm looking forward to an App Store with games on Apple TV. Since the iPhone 5 is 16:9 a lot of games are being updated to fit the TV screen perfectly... Apple TV would have more games available on launch than any other console...
embraceware is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:01 AM   #84
chagla
macrumors 6502a

ah, bluetooth picture sharing will be enabled on iphone 8.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:04 AM   #85
Glideslope
macrumors 68020

Nice.

2013 will be exciting.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:04 AM   #86
farleysmaster
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
why does everybody keep referring to apps? There’s no way Apple is going to release a SDK for ATV. Every use case described above can already be done. Watching Hulu or other video sources, playing games, reading web pages, … It can all be done with the most expensive remote in the world: your iPhone/iPad and Airplay.
Non sequitur.
farleysmaster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:20 AM   #87
bretm
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by topmounter View Post
Apps Apps Apps

Where ARE the apps?
Do you suddenly have a big touch screen tv for them to function on? Just curious how you're going to operate all these apps.
bretm is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:21 AM   #88
Yvan256
macrumors 601

Next up

Next up: Bluetooth mouse, Safari, Mail and FaceTime.

The 99$ Apple iOS device that will help stop Android devices from taking over the living room.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:21 AM   #89
JGRE
macrumors 6502

Quote:

I’m sure Apple is carefully watching if any innovations happen. And not a lot is going on. Developers should first invest more in apps where the screen on your TV is different than on your iOS device (one of the few examples I know of are the games Asphalt 6 and 7).
Airplaying an app to your ATV does not give you the same video quality. I would love to have a browser and mail native on the ATV.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:23 AM   #90
farleysmaster
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretm View Post
Do you suddenly have a big touch screen tv for them to function on? Just curious how you're going to operate all these apps.
Seems fine on the XBox 360...

(talking about purpose made tv apps, for instance BBC iPlayer or spotify)
farleysmaster is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:24 AM   #91
Yvan256
macrumors 601

Quote:
… It can all be done with the most expensive remote in the world: your iPhone/iPad and Airplay.
You're assuming everyone has enough money laying around to buy an iPhone or iPad.

The TV is a 99$ iOS device. It's competing with other ~99$ devices, which right now are 7 to 8 inches Android 4.0 tablets from Polaroid, Coby, etc.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:27 AM   #92
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretm View Post
The current interface method would be adequate for media, news, reading, and even some simple gaming apps. With the addition of a keyboard you could also operate instant messaging, email, and basic text editing apps.

Last edited by APlotdevice; Dec 9, 2012 at 10:55 AM.
APlotdevice is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:33 AM   #93
Dagless
macrumors Core

How very unapple like. They should be selling cut down iPads for £50 less the price of a normal iPad to function as a touchscreen keyboard for Apple TVs.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:34 AM   #94
olowott
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to olowott
love this rumour
Old Dec 9, 2012, 11:04 AM   #95
SpinalTap
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrb View Post
I would rather have a Bluetooth remote control with a built-in rechargeable battery.
If you can't run to an iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch (and something like HippoRemote), then the Logitech DiNovo Mini keyboard/controller is excellent.

I've used the DiNovo Mini with my Mac Mini. It's palm sized and works a treat.

http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/produc...o-mini?crid=26
Old Dec 9, 2012, 11:06 AM   #96
yinz
macrumors 6502a

How do you enable bluetooth keyboard through jailbreak?

This is great news! When is it coming? I wonder if they'll enable bluetooth speakers (in the future) as well? That'd be great!
yinz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 11:08 AM   #97
sasza
macrumors member

Exactly what we need!
sasza is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 11:24 AM   #98
WilliamLondon
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad99004 View Post
Is a Bluetooth game controller next?
This!
WilliamLondon is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 11:36 AM   #99
ed724
macrumors regular

Don't see any ability to add a bluetooth device in a second Gen ATV. Think it's only 3rd Gen.
ed724 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 12:00 PM   #100
h0mi
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macs4nw View Post
For those who don't own an iOS device, the choice as it stands now is, either spend an extra $69 for an additional BT keyboard, or keep pairing/re-pairing your Mac supplied BT keyboard with your computer or TV as needed, a bit of a nuisance. It would be nice if the BT keyboards had a simple way of being paired with 2 or 3 pre-paired devices, at the flick of a switch.
There are a few keyboards that allow for that. Logitech makes one that can switch between your computer/tablet/smartphone (or presumably any 3 devices you want).
h0mi is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion