Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland

Closed Thread

Old Dec 8, 2012, 11:50 PM   #1
Chuck-Norris
Banned

Question 6th iPad mini replacement? Should I just give up?

sounds crazy but every ipad mini had an issue. 4 of them had nicks on the bzel, one had dust and junk udner the screen and one had a home button that got stuck under the glass when u pres it.

my 6th one has tiny nicks all over the top part of te bezel

the apple store manager just said its barely noticable, but even the geniuses there acknowledge, "yeah we can see it".

i mean, i spent 600 dollars on this, its my first ipad and i love it but, is there really a flawless product or am i having serious ccrappy luck. im not trying to be obessive, just trying to get what i paid for. yes it doesnt efect the device functionaly but, from apple, you'd expect nothing less

p.s- i didnt open 6 at the store, the last 3 i did, the first 3 was through online orders
Chuck-Norris is offline   2
Old Dec 8, 2012, 11:56 PM   #2
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816

Don't accept anything less than perfect from inspecting it. You don't pay $600 to get second rate scratched up hardware. Apple has really bad quality control and they should pay for it, not you.
SomeDudeAsking is offline   13
Old Dec 8, 2012, 11:58 PM   #3
Carlanga
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDudeAsking View Post
Don't accept anything less than perfect from inspecting it. You don't pay $600 to get second rate scratched up hardware. Apple has really bad quality control and they should pay for it, not you.
Nah, they have great quality control. The issue here is OCPD persons like you and the TS.

Last edited by Carlanga; Dec 9, 2012 at 08:50 AM. Reason: OCDP>OCPD
Carlanga is offline   24
Old Dec 9, 2012, 12:01 AM   #4
imlovinit
macrumors regular

It just sounds like crappy luck. Keep at it until you get a perfect one..or until your patience runs out.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 12:19 AM   #5
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlanga View Post
Nah, they have great quality control. The issue here is OCDP persons like you and the TS.
Only fundamental Apple loyalists would say that scratched up hardware out of the box from Apple is "great quality control". I have a scratched up car you can buy for full retail price.
SomeDudeAsking is offline   15
Old Dec 9, 2012, 12:23 AM   #6
Chuck-Norris
Banned

Quote:
Nah, they have great quality control. The issue here is OCDP persons like you and the TS.
so ur saying u would buy scratched up products for 600 dollars?

LLOL
Chuck-Norris is offline   12
Old Dec 9, 2012, 12:37 AM   #7
FrozenDarkness
macrumors 6502a

True or false: people who spend equal amounts on android products care less if their product comes win a scratch on the plastic. I don't remember freaking out over scratches on my laptops back when it was 1k and up. Just blame it on the shipping. I really do feel like apples QC is really its undoing.

----------

Actually I think the funny thing is apples usage of anodized aluminum is, of course, nothing new. They have a history of shipping out scratched products dating back to its chrome iPods. Most of my iPads had small nicks in them and my MacBook Pro came with some aluminum discoloring.

It's just because its black aluminum that people are freaking out and screaming bloody murder.
FrozenDarkness is offline   3
Old Dec 9, 2012, 12:40 AM   #8
roxxette
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck-Norris View Post
so ur saying u would buy scratched up products for 600 dollars?

LLOL
Pretty sure the scuff and scratchers are tiny marks and should not consider to be a defect, i guess people will stop buying apple products in the future cause you can bet they will drop that bs replacement program.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenDarkness View Post
True or false: people who spend equal amounts on android products care less if their product comes win a scratch on the plastic. I don't remember freaking out over scratches on my laptops back when it was 1k and up. Just blame it on the shipping. I really do feel like apples QC is really its undoing.

----------

Actually I think the funny thing is apples usage of anodized aluminum is, of course, nothing new. They have a history of shipping out scratched products dating back to its chrome iPods. Most of my iPads had small nicks in them and my MacBook Pro came with some aluminum discoloring.

It's just because its black aluminum that people are freaking out and screaming bloody murder.
Lol yeah dont know how these guys manage with the ipods back.
roxxette is offline   2
Old Dec 9, 2012, 01:41 AM   #9
AzN1337c0d3r
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Only fundamental Apple loyalists would say that scratched up hardware out of the box from Apple is "great quality control". I have a scratched up car you can buy for full retail price.
At least it's just cosmetic.

Apparently some people think it's ok for $2200+ Retina Macbook Pros to have image retention too...
Old Dec 9, 2012, 02:16 AM   #10
Dlanod
macrumors 6502a

I have had 4 Mini's. 3 of them had dust under the screen. No 4 is fine. Went through about 7 iPad 3s for the same reason. First 4th gen iPad was perfect. So there are decent ones out there for us perfectionists. And yes perhaps it's a bit OCD. But I like my screens debris free.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 02:20 AM   #11
roxxette
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlanod View Post
I have had 4 Mini's. 3 of them had dust under the screen. No 4 is fine. Went through about 7 iPad 3s for the same reason. First 4th gen iPad was perfect. So there are decent ones out there for us perfectionists. And yes perhaps it's a bit OCD. But I like my screens debris free.
Stuff under the screen its a different monster mate but some people take it too far anyway like i say in another thread, if you have to go through 10 devices to get a "good" one i think its better to have some self respect and just get your money back.
roxxette is offline   3
Old Dec 9, 2012, 02:52 AM   #12
ScottNWDW
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to ScottNWDW
I think it is all in your head and a lot on OCD. I have bought numerous Apple products and not one of them had to be returned.

Sounds to me like you are examining each millimeter with a microscope hoping to find something wrong each time. After 10 tries I would tell you not to return to my store.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 03:57 AM   #13
Max(IT)
macrumors 601

Quote:
sounds crazy but every ipad mini had an issue. 4 of them had nicks on the bzel, one had dust and junk udner the screen and one had a home button that got stuck under the glass when u pres it.

the apple store manager just said its barely noticable, but even the geniuses there acknowledge, "yeah we can see it".

i mean, i spent 600 dollars on this, its my first ipad and i love it but, is there really a flawless product or am i having serious ccrappy luck. im not trying to be obessive, just trying to get what i paid for. yes it doesnt efect the device functionaly but, from apple, you'd expect nothing less

p.s- i didnt open 6 at the store, the last 3 i did, the first 3 was through online orders
I'm always puzzled when I see thread like this in macrumors forum ...
Some people seems to be anally retentive about apple products, looking for "defects" that most of the people would ignore/doesn't notice.

I'm not saying your iPads weren't defective, since I didn't see them, but its hard to believe at 6 ( six !!!! ) defective units
Nokia Lumia 1520 - 32Gb
Max(IT) is offline   7
Old Dec 9, 2012, 03:59 AM   #14
netdog
macrumors 603

Quote:
When you first open the box, there should be NO scratches on your Mini. That's not an unreasonable expectation.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 04:33 AM   #15
THFourteen
macrumors 6502

Mine has a few nicks in the silver bezel too.

I don't care really but I can see why people do. It's an expensive product, it shouldn't look used. If you tried to sell it second hand the buyer would be well within his rights to say its scratched and ask for a price reduction so why is it acceptable for the OP to accept it as new?
THFourteen is offline   6
Old Dec 9, 2012, 04:45 AM   #16
Brian Y
macrumors 68020

I'd have told you to do one after the first 3.

It's quite clear you're not going to get perfection from the cheapest mass produced iPad. If you have unrealistic expectations, just return it for a refund and buy something else.
Brian Y is offline   3
Old Dec 9, 2012, 05:10 AM   #17
hyteckit

Chuck-Norris is a troll. He just makes up stuff.

He made the same post about the iPhone 5.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1495930
hyteckit is offline   8
Old Dec 9, 2012, 05:13 AM   #18
Bishwasher
macrumors regular

Quote:

Pics or you're trolling!

Sent using Tapatalk
Old Dec 9, 2012, 05:17 AM   #19
hyteckit

Chuck-Norris has gone through 5 iPhone 5 and 6 iPad Mini because of "couple tiny nicks on the black shiny bezel"

Right.

Maybe someone has a dandruff problem.
hyteckit is offline   10
Old Dec 9, 2012, 07:54 AM   #20
Esoom
macrumors member

Send a message via Skype™ to Esoom
I've owned quite a few Apple products 6 iPads, every gen of iPhone except the 4s, a handful of iPods, etc, and NEVER had a single issue, I find Apple QC to be damn good.

I suspect the OP is either a troll or really has OCD. (I've worked for several years in a psych hospital as a nurse in the beginning of my career as an RN, & that is honestly some pretty serious OCD behavior, we're talking either taking medication to control his OCD or needs to take medications to control the OCD.)

Given the blatant manipulation of Apple stock, i suspect troll/shill. Someone with OCD would likely be examining the new iPad in the store prior to taking it home.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 08:00 AM   #21
NutsNGum
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Orange County Drums and Percussion?
NutsNGum is offline   2
Old Dec 9, 2012, 08:00 AM   #22
maflynn

I'm one of those people that wants to get a great device, I can't say perfect because no product is ever perfect. Because they're made by imperfect beings (us).

My advice is to spend less time examining it, and more time enjoying it
maflynn is offline   10
Old Dec 9, 2012, 08:13 AM   #23
Starrbuck
macrumors regular

Yes, you should just give up, for you will obviously never be satisfied.
Starrbuck is offline   5
Old Dec 9, 2012, 08:13 AM   #24
kodeman53
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
I'm one of those people that wants to get a great device, I can't say perfect because no product is ever perfect. Because they're made by imperfect beings (us). My advice is to spend less time examining it, and more time enjoying it
Great advice, too bad more people don't follow it.

OP - black Sharpie will solve your problem, but something tells me you'll go for number 7. Some people are experts at making them selves miserable.
kodeman53 is offline   3
Old Dec 9, 2012, 08:29 AM   #25
rtomyj
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Bought a Nexus 7. Had some rubber popping out. The bezel was also not very well placed. I don't like my Nexus 7 and don't use it. However, it has nothing to do with the imperfections. It really is the person, not the company in, most cases.
rtomyj is offline   2

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland