Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Dec 9, 2012, 09:17 AM   #1
snarestud940
macrumors regular

My Mom's mini came in. Now I hate my iPad 3.

Hey guys. Got my moms ipad mini in the mail last night. Opened it up for her, set it up, and gave it to her. I have the ipad third generation. I will say that it felt far more comfortable to hold her ipad than mine.

I found myself using hers all through the night and this morning. My question is, I'm thinking of selling mine and getting a mini. Any thoughts??
iPhone 5, 16 GB, T-Mobile
snarestud940 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 09:19 AM   #2
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

What thoughts are necessary? Get the thing you want.
darngooddesign is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 09:19 AM   #3
snarestud940
macrumors regular

Thoughts if I will be sorry later on.
snarestud940 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 09:23 AM   #4
Lukkee24
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarestud940 View Post
Just use your mums iPad Mini for an hour or so, then use yours, and see which one you prefer using.
Lukkee24 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 09:23 AM   #5
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Quote:
Then you'll be sorry later and have to get another thing you want. You know what your ipad is like, so play with her iPad longer and then decide.
darngooddesign is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 09:24 AM   #6
bigjnyc
macrumors 68040

If the resolution didn't bother you being that you are used to a retina ipad 3... Then I think you'll be fine.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 09:30 AM   #7
pooleman
macrumors 65816

Get the mini.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 09:33 AM   #8
Skika
macrumors 68020

Quote:
wanting a non-retina over a retina device
Haha, nope.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 09:40 AM   #9
iapplelove
Banned

I wouldn't give up my full size iPad 3 with retina for a mini even if it was free,but that's just me.compared to even an apple laptop the iPad 3/4 is small and light enough to bring around for my needs and I bring mine everywhere. Not to mention the mini is slower.
iapplelove is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 09:42 AM   #10
iapplelove
Banned

I posted this shot a while back iPad 2 vs iPad 3( I own both) to show what I feel is a big difference in text clarity.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355067718.032130.jpg
Views:	2503
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	382482

The next iPad I'm hoping is thinner lighter and more modern looking that will be a winner!
iapplelove is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 09:45 AM   #11
canyonblue737
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Hey guys. Got my moms ipad mini in the mail last night. Opened it up for her, set it up, and gave it to her. I have the ipad third generation. I will say that it felt far more comfortable to hold her ipad than mine.

I found myself using hers all through the night and this morning. My question is, I'm thinking of selling mine and getting a mini. Any thoughts??
I have had a mini since the launch and sold my retina iPad 3. no regrets at all. would i love a retina mini... of course I would but the size and form factor easily trump the retina screen for my needs.

----------

Quote:

I have had a mini since the launch and sold my retina iPad 3. no regrets at all. would i love a retina mini, of course... but the size and form factor easily trump the retina screen for my needs.

The mini is not slower than the 3, in fact it is a hair (like 1-2%) faster in most tests... it is the 4 that blows everything else away.
canyonblue737 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:00 AM   #12
bigboar
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iapplelove View Post
I posted this shot a while back iPad 2 vs iPad 3( I own both) to show what I feel is a big difference in text clarity.
Attachment 382482

The next iPad I'm hoping is thinner lighter and more modern looking that will be a winner!
exactly!! I had a mini and returned it for a 4 for that exact reason. website text is terrible on the mini in my opinion. I guess someone who hasn't used retina wouldn't notice but I gotta laugh when people say they don't notice the difference..
Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:01 AM   #13
syd430

Keep the 3rd gen + add a gym membership.
  8 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:02 AM   #14
Brradley
macrumors member

You made that sound so dramatic! Chill out man, it's only an iPad and what if, you do make the wrong decision?!!? You'll still have an iPad either way.
Brradley is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:03 AM   #15
Stetrain
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by iapplelove View Post
Remember that the iPad Mini has a higher DPI display than the iPad 2, 163 vs 132.
Stetrain is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:13 AM   #16
bigboar
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stetrain View Post
Remember that the iPad Mini has a higher DPI display than the iPad 2, 163 vs 132.
the mini looks just as bad! there is another picture floating around here showing a mini compared to the 4.. I am not trying to detract from the mini but it is not even close to the 3/4. I can read the text on my little iPhone easier than I could on the mini....
Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:27 AM   #17
AppleRobert
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboar View Post
the mini looks just as bad! there is another picture floating around here showing a mini compared to the 4.. I am not trying to detract from the mini but it is not even close to the 3/4. I can read the text on my little iPhone easier than I could on the mini....
I guess if folks really want great portability and a great screen, they can get an iPod touch 5.
AppleRobert is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:29 AM   #18
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukkee24 View Post
Just use your mums iPad Mini for an hour or so, then use yours, and see which one you prefer using.
I would do this. Use the mini for a day or two then you can make your decision.
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:32 AM   #19
bigboar
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stetrain View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleRobert View Post
I guess if folks really want great portability and a great screen, they can get an iPod touch 5.
and...it will actually fit in your pocket to boot
Old Dec 9, 2012, 11:06 AM   #20
mattfab
macrumors member

if you like smaller and less resolution screen, get the mini. if you enjoy the bigger and better screen, keep the ipad 3. also realize if you sell your ipad 3, you have to make sure u sell it for more than the ipad mini is worth, so you dont have to spend even more money. but personally, I would reather have the ipad 3 any day. i dont have an ipad yet, but i want the ipad 3 definitly
mattfab is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 11:12 AM   #21
dazz87
macrumors regular

sell your iPad and get a mini.
dazz87 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 11:13 AM   #22
nfl46
macrumors 601

Get the Mini.

At the end of the day, you will still have an iPad...plus gaming is still good on the Mini...you really don't notice the non-retina display when playing games, its just the text that pixelated mainly.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 12:07 PM   #23
pommie82
macrumors regular

Why are you even bothering to post something like this on the forum because its just pointless you have the both devices in front of you surely you can make your mind up which one you prefer or don't like to be honest it doesn't matter what people say on a forum you are going to have whatever suites you

Use them both for say week then make your mind up

I really like the mini for traveling and reading but i really like the 9'7 inch iPad for watching media when i have time to watch things.We all like things for different situations if we were all the same the world would be a boring place that we live in

Sorry to be blunt but i'am just been honest
pommie82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 12:09 PM   #24
snarestud940
macrumors regular

Guys. Correct me if I'm wrong, and I mean this with all honesty, but can't I use the forum to get opinions of other apple users who maybe sold their iPads for the mini?
snarestud940 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 12:26 PM   #25
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Of course, but you don't get to control the kinds if opinions you receive.

The Thing is, there are already a ton of threads discussing just this very thing. Had you searched, you would've found lots of people who discuss this. Most are very happy with the change, but some have returned their Minis because they wanted the Retina screen.

Considering we've seen these threads a million times, and nothing new will be revealed, you're going to get these other kinds of opinions that discuss your inability to make up your own mind on a relatively simple choice.

Last edited by darngooddesign; Dec 9, 2012 at 12:32 PM.
darngooddesign is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad