Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ratatapa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2011
Hello I got about 25 CD's of old songs that I want to be able to Listen on my home theater but they are old old cd's that have crappy quality. So I was thinking about Itunes Match but i got some questions and I hope you can help me

1) Is there a way to keep a local copy of the match song, of they need to go in the cloud? (Reason is I want to rip all my CD on my PC and stream them to my home theater) SO i don't want to always redownload them from the cloud

2) Can you Match 100% of the existing world music or only those that Itunes know?

3) If I cancel my Itunes match subs after matching my tunes Can I still access them? or they are locked (a lil like Play Station + games?)

Thanks

DefBref

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
1) You can download a copy to your local itunes library. This is yours to keep and doesn't require itunes match to listen to them.

2) If it can't match them, it will upload a copy to icloud for you instead.

3) See 1)

Ratatapa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2011
Ok thanks and um

1) The songs that are matched will they replace the ones I have or it will make them a copy

2) For songs that cannot be matched, can i tell Itunes match to ignore those songs (aka not even upload them to icloud?

DefBref

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
1) I think in order to download them you have to remove the original from your itunes library. Note this means you can keep the original as long as its not in your itunes library, but as you are wanting them to replace your current crappy encodes then why do you want to keep the originals?

2) No, but why would it be a problem anyway? It makes all your music available to you in the cloud by any ios device, apple TV or authorised itunes library.

Ratatapa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2011
It'S important cuz i'm in lol Canada and 11gig to upload can be alot if Itunes Match don't have them all (50gig per month bandwith for the lose)

KevinC867

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Saratoga, CA
1) I think in order to download them you have to remove the original from your itunes library. Note this means you can keep the original as long as its not in your itunes library, but as you are wanting them to replace your current crappy encodes then why do you want to keep the originals?

Right. The way the matching works is kind of confusing. After iTunes matches your file to the better version in the cloud, it leaves your crappy version in your library, and that is what will still be played by iTunes.

In order to replace your original version with the better one in the cloud, you need to delete it from the library. iTunes will ask you if you want to move the file to the trash, or just leave it in the iTunes Media folder. After you delete the song in iTunes, it will still show up as being in the cloud and there will be a symbol in the "Cloud" column which will let you download the good cloud version to your computer. If you chose not to move the original to the trash when you removed it from the library, you will now have two copies of the song in your iTunes media folder.

All very straightforward, right? ;)

DefBref

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
Are they obscure cds? Or has itunes already got them? If itunes already has them there's a good chance they will be matched. Unfortunately you cant tell for definite without actually trying itunes match.

KeithJenner

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2010
If they are old CD's (especially with crappy quality), there is a good chance they won't match, so if you are only looking at using match to upgrade them then you may well be disappointed.

If they are CD's which have been reissued since you obtained them then it is even more likely that they won't match, as iTunes most likely has the newer versions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.