Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:32 AM   #1
ViennaGambit
macrumors newbie

Question Same Price, Which One? iPad3 32bg or iPad4 16gb?

Hey all - long time lurker first time poster!

Well, looking to buy a first iPad for my pregnant wife and am in need of guidance from you experienced folks...

So the big questions are:

-Faster processor or more space?
-Will iPad3 become obsolete much quicker?

(all the other differences: connector, quicker wifi, LTE and better front facing camera are seemingly not important enough to her)

Here is the background: My wife is not a power user by any means - she does music, Netflix, takes meeting notes, email and internet - no graphics-demanding games or media editing.

I can get her a brand new iPad3 (retina) with 32gb for $489 or a new iPad 4 with the basic 16gb for $499 and I do not know which way to go...

My gut tells me that for her use, more space is much more important than the faster A6X processor, but my worry is longevity - I would like this iPad to last for at least 3 or 4 years and am worried that iPad3 may not be able to run the future apps/programs that the iPad4 may be able to run... Is this silly?

Which way would you guys go if you were in my shoes?

Thanks in advance!
-Harry
ViennaGambit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 11:23 AM   #2
forza69
macrumors 6502a

I would get the 4th gen 32 GB iPad. After taxes and everything you would only be paying about $100 more for twice the storage. The iPad 3 has the same processor as the iPad mini so they'll keep it around for a couple of more years, Though like I read in other threads the iPad 3s processor is eventually going to get tired of pushing that retina display, as opposed to the iPad 4 which has more than enough power for everything that it has inside.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 11:24 AM   #3
Haifisch
macrumors regular

I would get the iPad 4. I can live with the smaller storage. Music is what eats up room but I can store that on my iPhone 5. I can just Airplay from there if I wanted to surf the net and listen to music at same time.

You'll never get a definitive answer. It's like Coke or Pepsi?
Haifisch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 11:25 AM   #4
adm.hpe
macrumors member

I would get iPad 4. I'd be able to live with the lower storage.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 12:26 PM   #5
ThatsMeRight
macrumors 68020

Well, if you want to keep the device for three to four years, than the A6X chip will give you the best performance. Future software updates - and apps written for new iOS versions - will run much smoother on the A6X chip as it has literally twice as much computing power in both computing tasks (like start-up times of apps and the smoothness of an app) and graphical tasks (like running the display and games).

I'd say get a 32 GB model, so you are sure you won't run out of space... but since you intend to keep the device for up to four years, get an iPad 4.
ThatsMeRight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 12:44 PM   #6
didgeridoo
macrumors newbie

The main improvements for the 4 are faster cpu, better camera and better wifi. Go for the 4 if playing games or annoyed by app loading or scrolling delays or if it won't traded in for a couple of years. The larger storage on the 3 will be appreciated for video/music storage. The 30 vs 8 pin cable connector may or may not be a consideration if you're trying to stay with one type. I have a 3/64gb/cell and, though pissed that it's out of date so quickly, will wait for the 5.
didgeridoo is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad