Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBookProzak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Here is an odd question and just looking to get a prospective, feedback, pitfalls or possibilities.

I have a young wanna-be editor (they are almost 16 years old) that wants to learn/see if editing is for them. They have expressed an interest in editing and thus would like to encourage them to explore it. They have messed around with creating low level You Tube type videos with other friends that edit and make videos. I have a MacBook (see specs below) that has FCPX as well as iMovie on it that is not being used at my office. Granted, this MacBook is not that much of a workhorse given the specs, yet I wondered what others thought as to how this laptop could be utilized for initial learning purposes. I understand that this laptop may be dog ass slow, but to the person that is learning and has nothing right now and their parents don't have the resources to get a computer for them... it is something atleast.

Since it only has a Firewire 400 on it, would a FW 400 connected to an SSD give it any benefit -to store and edit footage from.

One person even suggested to store footage and edit off an external Bluetooth hard drive to bypass the slow speed of the FW 400.

In both cases I just don't posses the insight and thus asking the question here for some suggestions.

Snow Leopard: Version 10.6.8
MacBook 2,1
Processor: 2 Ghz Intel Core 2 Due
Memory: 4 GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM
L2 Cache: 4 GB
750 GB Hard Drive - 5400 RPM
2 - USB 2.0 ports
1 - Firewire 400

Nov 28, 2010
located
... it is something atleast.
Yes, it is.
This may be helpful to understand, why the MacBook will be slow during editing of highly compressive footage:
Video Compression
Why It Matters & How To Make The Most Of It

Since it only has a Firewire 400 on it, would a FW 400 connected to an SSD give it any benefit -to store and edit footage from.
The seeking would be faster with an SSD, but an HDD will more than suffice for learning purposes.

One person even suggested to store footage and edit off an external Bluetooth hard drive to bypass the slow speed of the FW 400.
Did that person really mean "Bluetooth"? Because Bluetooth is wireless and slower than USB 1.1 with your MacBook. Firewire is the second fastest interface on that MacBook, behind the Gigabit Ethernet port.

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
Just give it to the 16 year old and let him/her figure it out. That's probably the easiest way ;)

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
Basically you need to sit them down and find out what they really would like to do regards entering the realm of video editing. There is more to this game than having a fad of wanting to do something.
The first step is for them to play around with iMovie before you introduce them to FCP-X.
Also to import their own video work. Instead playing around with other forms of video.
If they like what they are doing then move on to the next faze of setting up a editing format on the computer.:apple:

MacBookProzak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Thanks for the feedback.

I agree, I will just let them have at it and mess around with iMovie or FCPX if they want to. They do film their own stuff, skits and suff so they will have their own footage to play with. Kids can be finicky, yet I am lucky enough to have a computer for them to mess around with to see if they are serious or if this is the fad of the month.

matteusclement

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2008
victoria
FW400 is plenty fast and definately faster than USB or BT.

I edit on that kind of laptop and it was doable with the FW drive.

You need alot of HD space because almost all your footage will get converted into AIC format. It's about 36GB per hour but it makes editing easy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.