Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Dec 9, 2012, 11:16 AM   #1
dogegg
macrumors member

App licensing

Hi, hoping someone can help me with past knowledge.

I currently own a MBP but have ordered a new 27" IMac. I intent to move all my apps over to the new machine but I'm wondering if I'm going to get a lot of license issues?

I know that Apps from the store will be fine but the majority of mine aren't. I am selling my MBP so will restore to factory settings and therefore my apps will only be being used on one machine. Is the license with me or my machine? Am I likely to have to re-buy software? One example is MS Office 2011.

Thanks in advance
dogegg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 11:24 AM   #2
Daveoc64
macrumors 601

The licence will be entirely different for each Application.

Generally, you can have Office installed on one computer at a time, so if you are wiping everything that's on your old computer, then you can install it again on a new one. There are some exceptions though - you really need to read the specific licence that came with your software.

That is true of most software.
Windows 8.1 | iCloud, Dropbox, Spotify Premium
Daveoc64 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 11:54 AM   #3
dogegg
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveoc64 View Post
The licence will be entirely different for each Application.

Generally, you can have Office installed on one computer at a time, so if you are wiping everything that's on your old computer, then you can install it again on a new one. There are some exceptions though - you really need to read the specific licence that came with your software.

That is true of most software.
Thanks, here's hoping for a relatively pain-free experience
dogegg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 02:02 PM   #4
James Craner
macrumors 68000

Yeah it depends on the software Vendor, Adobe will allow you to install Photoshop on your desktop and laptop, as long as you don't use both at the same time. Other companies only allow one copy to be installed.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 02:39 PM   #5
Duff-Man
macrumors 68030

Duff-Man says...another thing to keep in mind when wiping your old computer for resale is to deactivate apps like Photoshop. Yes, you are allowed a couple installs but you can possibly save yourself some hassle later by deactivating beforehand, especially if you have apps that are single installation licenses.....oh yeah!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store