Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lexvo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 11, 2009
The Netherlands
The 'Shared' section disappeared in Finder on my iMac. I checked the Finder-settings, but couldn't find anything to bring it back. I decided to reboot my iMac and now 'Shared' is back. I only had to reconnect my NAS using cmd-K (normally the NAS automatically shows up).

So everything is OK now, but I wonder why this 'Shared' suddenly disappeared in Finder. Could it be that I accidentally typed some key-combination? Finder-glitch?

switon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
RE: hiding Shared...

Hi,

I don't know exactly what happened, as it could be a number reasons, such as having network troubles. But did you know that you can hide shares in the left-hand sidebar of Finder windows? Perhaps you accidently clicked on the "hide" and thus the Share disappeared.

Regards,
Switon

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
The 'Shared' section disappeared in Finder on my iMac. I checked the Finder-settings, but couldn't find anything to bring it back. I decided to reboot my iMac and now 'Shared' is back. I only had to reconnect my NAS using cmd-K (normally the NAS automatically shows up).

So everything is OK now, but I wonder why this 'Shared' suddenly disappeared in Finder. Could it be that I accidentally typed some key-combination? Finder-glitch?
The most likely causes of this are:
1. You unchecked everything in Finder's Sidebar preferences for the Shared section, which will make it go away.
2. Finder's preference file is corrupted.

lexvo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 11, 2009
The Netherlands
I didn't touch the Finder settings. When "Shared" was gone I checked the settings and everything under Shared had a checkmark before it.

I think this was a one off glitch in Finder, but I am open for better explainations :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.