Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Dec 9, 2012, 02:11 PM   #1
xEnOnn
macrumors newbie

How's the battery life like for iPad Mini?

How's the battery life like for iPad Mini? On the Apple website, it claims that I could watch videos for up to 10 hours but I know that certainly is B.S. because on my iPhone 4S, I can't even surf the Internet for more than 3 hours.

I've heard that the iPad mini has middling battery life. How long can the iPad mini's battery last for surfing the web, reading and streaming videos? On my iPhone 4S, browsing the web, reading and stream videos for about 2 hours is going to get the battery life below 20%. And this is annoying. I'm worried that the iPad Mini is the same, or even worst.
xEnOnn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 02:16 PM   #2
OdT22
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by xEnOnn View Post
On the Apple website, it claims that I could watch videos for up to 10 hours but I know that certainly is B.S.
Most people (who own them) are reporting 10 hours+ easily.
OdT22 is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 02:18 PM   #3
Shadowbech
macrumors 68000

It really depends on what you do with the ipad mini. But I will say this, the ipad mini does a superb job in battery life, such that it can last from 12 hours to 20 hours depending on what you do. It definitely will do a lot better than the iphon 4S. iPhone 4S has 1432 mAh while the iPad Mini has 4440 mAh.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 02:20 PM   #4
ThatsMeRight
macrumors 68020

Quote:
How's the battery life like for iPad Mini? On the Apple website, it claims that I could watch videos for up to 10 hours but I know that certainly is B.S. because on my iPhone 4S, I can't even surf the Internet for more than 3 hours.

I've heard that the iPad mini has middling battery life. How long can the iPad mini's battery last for surfing the web, reading and streaming videos? On my iPhone 4S, browsing the web, reading and stream videos for about 2 hours is going to get the battery life below 20%. And this is annoying. I'm worried that the iPad Mini is the same, or even worst.
iPads have much, much better battery life. At 50% brightness you can easily get 10 hours of battery life. Go a bit below that, and lasts even longer.

If your iPhone 4S only lasts for three hours, either your brightness is almost at 100%, or there's something wrong with your 4S.
ThatsMeRight is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 02:21 PM   #5
EMAN19
macrumors 6502

Yeah, it really depends on what you're doing, on average I get about 10 hours with gaming and browsing the web. I've gotten 15+ without gaming. Battery drops faster when watching movies though. In any case the battery life on iPad mini is great!

iPad mini Wi-Fi 64GB White iPhone 4 16GB White iPod Nano 8GB Silver
EMAN19 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 02:23 PM   #6
xEnOnn
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatsMeRight View Post
iPads have much, much better battery life. At 50% brightness you can easily get 10 hours of battery life. Go a bit below that, and lasts even longer.

If your iPhone 4S only lasts for three hours, either your brightness is almost at 100%, or there's something wrong with your 4S.
Are these 10 hours of battery life referring to idling mode? What if the iPad was constantly used for reading, browsing the web, streaming video, etc? How long would it last?

My iPhone 4s can last for about a day when I don't use it at all, ie, idle mode. But when I use it for straight 2-3 hours, the battery can get below 20% very quickly.
xEnOnn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 02:43 PM   #7
ThatsMeRight
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Are these 10 hours of battery life referring to idling mode? What if the iPad was constantly used for reading, browsing the web, streaming video, etc? How long would it last?

My iPhone 4s can last for about a day when I don't use it at all, ie, idle mode. But when I use it for straight 2-3 hours, the battery can get below 20% very quickly.
It sounds as if something is wrong with your iPhone 4S, or your display brightness is extremely high.

I'm talking here about 10 hours of actual usage, not stand-by time. Whether that is reading a book, browsing a website or watching a video. Ten hours.

You can see your usage/stand-by time under Settings > General > Usage
ThatsMeRight is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 03:08 PM   #8
zhenya
macrumors 68030

Quote:

10 hours of us should be no trouble for a mini. I use my ipad 4 2-3 hours/day and charge about once per week, getting 15-23 hours of use time.
zhenya is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:41 AM   #9
CTHarrryH
macrumors 6502

I would think it would aslo depend upon whether WiFi only or cellular also. I have an WiFi only one and I can do 3-4 hours of web access on WiFi and reading etc. and the battery only goes down to 92% or so.
I have a 4s and I find that battery life is much more related to strong cellular signal than normal usage. Trying and re-trying to get a good signal seems to really burn battery life.

I think an WiFi only Mini that 10 hours of continual use would be "easy".
CTHarrryH is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:09 AM   #10
scupking
macrumors 6502

I get a good 12 hours out of my mini!
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:11 AM   #11
ZBoater
macrumors 604

iPad mini battery life = Energizer Bunny.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:16 AM   #12
burgundyyears
macrumors 6502

Quote:

Engadget measured battery life on the mini to be the best they had ever seen on any tablet: 12 hours, 43 minutes on their video looping test, wifi on.
burgundyyears is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:22 AM   #13
AdonisSMU
macrumors 68030

I can go days...
AdonisSMU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:46 AM   #14
klover
macrumors 6502a

I had a screenshot somewhere but can't find it. Anyway, from full-charge to 1% it read:

13 hours, 43 minutes
5 days, 11 hours standby.

Mostly Angry Birds Star Wars, browsing, and email. No push, no iCloud.
klover is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:21 PM   #15
jwingfie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by klover View Post
I had a screenshot somewhere but can't find it. Anyway, from full-charge to 1% it read:

13 hours, 43 minutes
5 days, 11 hours standby.

Mostly Angry Birds Star Wars, browsing, and email. No push, no iCloud.
Mine has been about the same as above. Averaging around 13-14 usage to 4-5 days standby
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:46 PM   #16
bagelmaker
macrumors member

I use my ipad mini constantly, mostly for web browsing and Netflix and I get about 11 hours of actual usage out of one charge. I only charge it every other night, so it gets a ton of standby time too. I do feel like the battery drains a lot faster when my husband plays his high graphics games on it. When he uses it for a few hours I usually end up having to charge it that night (I always charge overnight.)

In comparison, my IPod touch has terrible battery life since I've upgraded to IOS 6. I get maybe 3 hours of actual use out of it if I'm lucky.
bagelmaker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:40 PM   #17
eye4ni
macrumors member

battery life is phenomenal. I can't imagine anyone buying the mini and complaining about poor battery life.... if this is a concern, get over it, not an issue, start worrying about the bigger issues in life like tiny little nicks in the aluminum bezel that appear after normal everyday usage...
eye4ni is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:51 PM   #18
Ashin
macrumors 6502a

Don't believe anyone claiming they get over 10 hours.

Just the "usage" going on in standby, so they believe they have amazing battery life.

Apple test their battery to purposely make it look good, getting the advertised 10 hours is lucky.
Ashin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:55 PM   #19
eye4ni
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashin View Post
Don't believe anyone claiming they get over 10 hours.

Just the "usage" going on in standby, so they believe they have amazing battery life.

Apple test their battery to purposely make it look good, getting the advertised 10 hours is lucky.
Do you have any proof to support this theory? Unplug your mini (I assume you own one) and don't touch it for 12 hours and check your usage. It will probably say something like 2-3 minutes of usage and 12 hours of standby. I left my mini pretty much untouched all day yesterday after taking it off the charger in the morning, and after about 8 hours battery was still at 98%. Wifi+cellular if that makes any difference.
eye4ni is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:00 PM   #20
iHeartsteve
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBoater View Post
iPad mini battery life = Energizer Bunny.
This! So much better than ipad 3 and 4
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:03 PM   #21
bigboar
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iHeartsteve View Post
I must have misread the anandtech review wrong then because I thought it showed the 4 lasted longer than the mini which lasted longer than the 3... maybe I didn't read it correctly though...
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:08 PM   #22
lulla01
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to lulla01
My iPad 3 definitely lasted longer than my mini does.
lulla01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:35 PM   #23
EMAN19
macrumors 6502

iPad mini's battery life is legendary.

iPad mini Wi-Fi 64GB White iPhone 4 16GB White iPod Nano 8GB Silver
EMAN19 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 03:49 AM   #24
drcrane
macrumors newbie

Battery Life is all one can ask for.

80% Brightness, all Push and Message Service switched ON, 95% Web Surfing using Safari via Wifi and 5% reading eBook. And I get constantly 13.5 hours of pure enjoyment.

Furthermore the iPad Mini is just so slim and light that it is a pure joy to use.

Really, I could not be happier with it !

iPad mini 32GB & iPhone 5 32GB
drcrane is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 03:51 AM   #25
Will2145
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iHeartsteve View Post
The 4 has better battery life.
Will2145 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad