Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Dec 9, 2012, 01:37 PM   #1
brig2221
macrumors regular

Is this fairly common?

I purchased an iPad 2 when it first came out, and shortly thereafter, my wife pretty much confiscated it for her own exclusive use. I find this funny as she gave me a lot of crap for spending $600 on something she was sure we didn't need.

Anyhow, fast forward to present time, with me deciding to pick up an iPad 4 for my own exclusive use. Past history being what it was, I didn't want the wife using my iPad for fear she would want it (mainly due to the Retina screen).

The first few weeks went fine, and then it happened, her iPad ran out of juice, and I noticed she seamlessly moved over to my iPad. Long story short, she could not tell the difference between the two screens. One would think I would be happy, but I was more incredulous and offended that she couldn't tell, to the point of me offering to pull up the same websites on both so she could see the difference. She was completely indifferent to my proposition and passed.

So my question is, how common is it (or isn't it) that a person cannot tell the difference between a Retina and non-Retina iPad?

In case anyone is wondering, my wife has had LASIK and has 20/20 vision.
brig2221 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 01:44 PM   #2
modelbehaviour
macrumors regular

Neither of my parents can, but they both wear glasses. I can, I have 20/20 vision. I think it's more noticeable in some contexts than others, like iBooks for example.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 01:47 PM   #3
ThatsMeRight
macrumors 68020

Well, there are people who just don't really notice it. I think she would notice if she had used your iPad for like, let's say, a month and that she than went back to her iPad 2.

To me, the move from using an iPad 1 to using an iPad 3 isn't as big, as using an iPad 3 and than using an iPad 1.

I think most people don't really notice is that well at first, but when they use the older, less pixel dense displays, they notice a difference.
ThatsMeRight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 04:20 PM   #4
token787
macrumors regular

I was playing with IPad 2 in BB and kept wondering why people was so big on the retina UNTIL I started playing with the IPad 3 in store and then I had no more questions. I noticed it, at first you may not until u start messing around with a retina IPad. That was my experience and I was sold on retina.
token787 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 04:22 PM   #5
LeeM
macrumors 6502a

some people genuinely dont give a ****, and an ipad is simply an ipad.
i can tell with iPads, but not really with MacBooks
LeeM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 04:39 PM   #6
SlasherDuff
macrumors 6502a

I have low vision so i cant tell the difference between the two
Old Dec 9, 2012, 04:45 PM   #7
taedouni
macrumors 6502a

Some people just don't have the eye that notices the "small" things in life.
taedouni is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 04:46 PM   #8
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000

I can tell the difference, but I don't really care as much as some.
MisterKeeks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 05:00 PM   #9
bevsb2
macrumors 6502

I notice a big difference in retina display. I have the iPad 4 and 15 inch rMBP. I would love an iPad mini, but can't get past the non retina screen. My brother was visiting recently and was unimpressed with my rMBP. He was using my Macbook Air and said he just uses the computer to get information and doesn't care what the screen looks like. We're all different.
bevsb2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 05:10 PM   #10
KeepCalmPeople
macrumors 6502a

My wife had a 2 and I got her the 3 with cellular. She didn't notice the retina display until I pointed it out to her, but after that she noticed that pictures in particular were a lot clearer. I have no doubt that if I replaced her 3 with a 2 without telling her, she would quickly notice.
KeepCalmPeople is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 05:22 PM   #11
rbrian
macrumors 6502a

I could tell immediately. I was always disappointed with my original iPad, the text looked blurry. Then I got an iPhone 4S, and my iPad looked worse. I bought an iPad 3 on launch day, and it was like a drink of cool water for my eyes. Putting the two side by side, the difference was night and day.

I mostly use mine for text; with pictures and video there's less of a difference. I'll never go back to a lower resolution, that's why I skipped the iPad mini despite loving the small size and low weight.

I have also had laser eye surgery, but it didn't affect my close vision, which was always good, only my long vision, which used to be poor.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 08:48 PM   #12
kjmff5
macrumors regular

hahaha your post made me think of this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdIWKytq_q4

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad