Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps

Old Dec 9, 2012, 02:38 PM   #1
yly3
macrumors 6502

Google Maps alternative - How Come nobody posted this !?

So I've been one of those guys who have been crying for THE google maps app ever since the fiasco.
Only today I have found about the app caled Localscope. In the description it says it was a big hit in 2011 so it's not new but holly freckin cow !
I basically have Google Maps on my iPhone again !
I was mostly using G Maps on 5.1.1 for POI and streets, no guided navigation required.

Besides the fantastic coverage of the entire social-media-POI coverage you have the option to search via the Google Maps data base with the "Skin" of Apple Maps and after that you can even voice-guide with the Native Apple Maps

This is the closest I can get (for my usage) to having gMaps.
Sure, you basically have to tap an extra time but hell it sure is worth it.
80% it's already there !
Am I missing something ?
Old Dec 9, 2012, 02:53 PM   #2
unlimitedx
macrumors 6502a

$1.99
unlimitedx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 02:58 PM   #3
sviato
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlimitedx View Post
$1.99
It's interesting that this seems like a lot for an app when a lot of people pay more than this for their daily coffee. I wonder if we'll ever get over this perception.
sviato is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 03:02 PM   #4
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

I think it stems from the human need to be able to hold something they've bought in their hands, or for it to feel tangible or has an existence outside of a microchip. Because once you decide to not use the device anymore, you also can't use the app anymore, and there's no way to get any kind of return on unused apps. You can't have a garage sale on apps you no longer use.

Coffee supplies the body with a form of sustenance. An app does not. There are certain apps that I'm willing to pay good money for, that actually contribute greatly to my daily routine.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 03:09 PM   #5
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlimitedx View Post
$1.99
Is that a commentary on cheap iPhone users?
Mrbobb is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 04:09 PM   #6
fljoemon
macrumors newbie

Thanks!

Incredibly useful app that I did not know about. Thanks for posting this!
fljoemon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 04:27 PM   #7
yly3
macrumors 6502

I think this kind of app easily justifies 10$

And I am very picky when buying apps.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 05:53 PM   #8
wikus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sviato View Post
It's interesting that this seems like a lot for an app when a lot of people pay more than this for their daily coffee. I wonder if we'll ever get over this perception.
More impressive is the fact they spent a ridiculous amount of money on a phone to begin with.

People want the luxury of a 600+ dollar phone but won't spend 0.3% more for a necessary app.

Ridiculous.
wikus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 07:31 PM   #9
sk1wbw
macrumors 68030

You know the Maps app that comes with the iPhone works?
sk1wbw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 08:04 PM   #10
sviato
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by vastoholic View Post
I think it stems from the human need to be able to hold something they've bought in their hands, or for it to feel tangible or has an existence outside of a microchip. Because once you decide to not use the device anymore, you also can't use the app anymore, and there's no way to get any kind of return on unused apps. You can't have a garage sale on apps you no longer use.

Coffee supplies the body with a form of sustenance. An app does not. There are certain apps that I'm willing to pay good money for, that actually contribute greatly to my daily routine.
Yes, but coffee is not a necessity. Whatever benefit it provides, whether you drink it for taste or keep you up, is intangible. You won't have a further return on coffee.

Just like if you pay $2 for a game app and spend 5 hours playing it, the fun that you had playing that game during that time is the intangible benefit of buying the app. Except it doesn't disappear, and can be used for a week where as coffee is something you'd buy everyday

I do agree that people value something more if they can touch it though.
sviato is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 08:29 PM   #11
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by sviato View Post
Yes, but coffee is not a necessity. Whatever benefit it provides, whether you drink it for taste or keep you up, is intangible. You won't have a further return on coffee.

Just like if you pay $2 for a game app and spend 5 hours playing it, the fun that you had playing that game during that time is the intangible benefit of buying the app. Except it doesn't disappear, and can be used for a week where as coffee is something you'd buy everyday

I do agree that people value something more if they can touch it though.
Agreed on the coffee, because I personally don't like coffee.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 08:55 PM   #12
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

I use Maps+ from the App Store, quite handy and performs the same function as the original Google Maps app. No transit directions I think.
Beeplance is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps